Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently just installed a JB4 and after installing I'm getting a CEL and key system error. I double checked to see if I accidentally unplugged anything and it doesn't seem so. I ran the OBDII wire through the grommet so the grommet is currently pushed out. The car seems to work perfectly fine. I was looking around about Key system errors and people were saying how they weren't able to turn the car on/off but that doesn't seem to be the case for me. Is there anything I can do to clear the CEL and key system error or to check what could be wrong. Thanks!

Currently have a HKS catback installed. If I want to take it into the dealership, would I have to swap it out with the stock exhaust for them to not void warranty to check something like this?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You wouldn't need to swap the CB but you would want to remove the JB4. Have you tried unplugging the JB4 and reconnecting the OEM plugs? I have not installed my JB4 yet but from reading on here, it seems it is not uncommon to bend some of the plug connector pins when installed a JB4. Take a look at the pins. Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The JB4 harness is the 1st place I would check as well - a light application of dielectric grease on the harness pins has kept my JB4 from having any connection issues for well over a year.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The JB4 harness is the 1st place I would check as well - a light application of dielectric grease on the harness pins has kept my JB4 from having any connection issues for well over a year.
its, what does NTX mean?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You wouldn't need to swap the CB but you would want to remove the JB4. Have you tried unplugging the JB4 and reconnecting the OEM plugs? I have not installed my JB4 yet but from reading on here, it seems it is not uncommon to bend some of the plug connector pins when installed a JB4. Take a look at the pins. Good luck.
I'll try checking the pins again. Should I unplug the battery to reset the ecu and try clearing codes?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Recently just installed a JB4 and after installing I'm getting a CEL and key system error. I double checked to see if I accidentally unplugged anything and it doesn't seem so. I ran the OBDII wire through the grommet so the grommet is currently pushed out. The car seems to work perfectly fine. I was looking around about Key system errors and people were saying how they weren't able to turn the car on/off but that doesn't seem to be the case for me. Is there anything I can do to clear the CEL and key system error or to check what could be wrong. Thanks!

Currently have a HKS catback installed. If I want to take it into the dealership, would I have to swap it out with the stock exhaust for them to not void warranty to check something like this?
What DTCs were thrown? When you said you saw a CEL, was it the Master Warning Light (triangle with exclamation point in the center) or the Malfunction Indicator Light (icon of an engine)?

I'm having a hard time figuring out why your JB4 would have anything to do with the Intelligent Key System. Sounds like you need to take the car in to see what's causing the Key System Error. If you have the JB4 app or an OBDII scanner, maybe you can pull up the DTCs and post them here.

You don't need to swap exhausts before taking the car in for inspection.

I had one of the pins in the JB4 harness that wasn't completely seated in the connector. The car ran funny and threw a couple of DTCs. I found the pushed out pin and reseated it in the connector, cleared the DTCs and everything was fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What DTCs were thrown? When you said you saw a CEL, was it the Master Warning Light (triangle with exclamation point in the center) or the Malfunction Indicator Light (icon of an engine)?

I'm having a hard time figuring out why your JB4 would have anything to do with the Intelligent Key System. Sounds like you need to take the car in to see what's causing the Key System Error. If you have the JB4 app or an OBDII scanner, maybe you can pull up the DTCs and post them here.

You don't need to swap exhausts before taking the car in for inspection.

I had one of the pins in the JB4 harness that wasn't completely seated in the connector. The car ran funny and threw a couple of DTCs. I found the pushed out pin and reseated it in the connector, cleared the DTCs and everything was fine.
The error code that it was throwing was 0183 which has to do with the fuel temp sensor. I checked all the pins and cleared the code, but it came back after I started the car again. Both the CEL and Master Warning Light are currently on. Gonna try checking the pins again and checking the fuel temp sensor before I go get it inspected. Any idea where the fuel temp sensor is located?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
The error code that it was throwing was 0183 which has to do with the fuel temp sensor. I checked all the pins and cleared the code, but it came back after I started the car again. Both the CEL and Master Warning Light are currently on. Gonna try checking the pins again and checking the fuel temp sensor before I go get it inspected. Any idea where the fuel temp sensor is located?
The fuel tank temperature sensor is part of the low pressure fuel pump/fuel level sensor assembly that is mounted in the top of the fuel tank. DTC P0183 indicates an excessively high voltage from that sensor is being sent to the ECU. It could be a short in the circuit somewhere. I don't see how this has anything to do with the JB4.

Have you tried completely disconnecting the JB4 and putting the car back to stock to see if you can then clear the DTC?

It sounds like you have two separate problems, the fuel tank temperature sensor and the Intelligent Key system, but if you haven't tried removing the JB4 harness connectors and putting the car back to stock, I'd try that first and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fuel tank temperature sensor is part of the low pressure fuel pump/fuel level sensor assembly that is mounted in the top of the fuel tank. DTC P0183 indicates an excessively high voltage from that sensor is being sent to the ECU. It could be a short in the circuit somewhere. I don't see how this has anything to do with the JB4.

Have you tried completely disconnecting the JB4 and putting the car back to stock to see if you can then clear the DTC?
I've tried removing the JB4 and putting it to stock but the CEL still reappears after clearing the DTC. Do you know if the wire that's connected to the fuel sensor runs through the grommet where the OSBII wire is ran for the JB4? I'm thinking I might've shorted a wire around that area when pushing the grommet out to run the OSBII wire. I'm thinking of checking the fuel pump sensor with a multimeter when i get free this weekend to see if its the sensor or the wire running to the sensor.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
The B101 connector going to the LPFP assembly is part of the Body harness that runs along the bottom sill of the driver side front and rear doors and ends at connector B17 around where that grommet is. B17 connects to the Main harness connector M18 at that point. Things get a little fuzzy from there but somewhere the Engine Room harness connects to the Main harness and the signal from B101 ends up at connector E152. It's possible the affected wire runs through that firewall grommet and it was shorted somehow.

That's one of the reasons I ran the JB4 OBDII cable through the front left body panel instead of that grommet. It's a lot easier to route the cable through there instead of the grommet and there's no chance of damaging a wire when trying to get the grommet out or back in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts