Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Cell phone Placement?

66K views 95 replies 49 participants last post by  Scarlet 258 FTNT 
#1 ·
Just wanted to get the communities thoughts and input...

I'm having a tough time finding a good place to keep my cell phone in my 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium. Does anyone have suggestions for mount and/or placement options? I guess I could always get a 12V outlet adapter so I can prop the phone in a holder but are there any other suggestions out there for good placement? I still would like to use my phone in the car...not when I'm driving--calm down cellphone police--but just to be able to have it handy instead of just dropping it in the door panel or armrest storage while I'm in the car. There isn't a lot of real estate in the interior for placement as it is.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Wondered about this for a while and tried several kinds of mounts. I settled on this vent clip mount from ebay. I hope a few people would share their setup as well...holds my iPhone 7 plus well. Easy access to emails, Siri, Spotify, GPS, Facebook, and infinitiq50.org.

Attachments

#3 ·
Wondered about this for a while and tried several kinds of mounts. I settled on this vent clip mount from ebay. I hope a few people would share their setup as well...
I scouted that spot as an option but thought it might be tucked a little too far behind the wheel to be functional. Does it work for you?

#7 ·
I don't know about anyone else but I'm having a tough time figuring out these pics. I do like the mount in the second pic though. Does it attach between the console seams?

#9 ·
Yes the mount clips on between the seam and clips over the padded side of the console. The IOauto screws on top of it. I will take a picture of mine tomorrow and post it here. I absolutely love this setup as the phone is magnetically attached to the iOAuto.

Reactions: Nemesys
#11 ·
Here is my setup that is in my car. So you can see that the iOAuto is attached to the mount and my cellphone case has a disc that I put inside so that it will stick to the iOAuto. Trust me the magnet is plenty strong and the phone does not move at all. I also hid a phone cable underneath the console into the USB in the armrest. I hope this helps make your decision as to what to get easier.

Attachments

Reactions: Ocuriel
#15 ·
I have the Proclip mount and really like it. I attached a stalk to it so my phone sits up closer to eye level.

Attachments

#21 ·
Can you shift with it?

#19 ·
#22 ·
Kind of really hard to try worse rating on fakespot even if I tried...especially with affiliate link :D

#20 ·
I have a Note 8 which is HUGE and man I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to find a simple location. I ordered the ProClip Mount naked as my case is one with a card slot in it and it's just a few millimeters too thick to fit even their Otterbox mount. Thinking I'll find a way to use a magnetic style. Will post back pics next week once I've worked it out.

#23 ·
Keep in mind if you have a phone that has QI inductive charging capabilities, the metal disk that you attach to your phone so the magnets can hold it will interfere with QI charging. Also, depending on where you put the metal disk on the phone, it can interfere with NFC communication chip.

#24 ·
I went with proclip mount and charging iPhone holder. Just recently upgraded to the iPhone X and needed a different mount unfortunately. The iPhone 6S Mount I had previously was a little too snug and would really grip the phone going in and out of the holder.

Running wire behind trim was easy, have it plugged into usb in arm rest and placement is out of the way enough to not be a distraction, but in reach enough for using it.

Only annoying thing is unlocking it with facial recognition on iPhone X. I changed it to remain unlocked and just manually unlock once while driving so I can keep my music list rolling without endangering others while I throw my face in front of the mount for a glance to unlock.

#26 ·
NoChoice Magnetic mounts

I've been through vent clips, pivot mounts, unipod mounts, many were too large and gaudy, others like vent clips fell off etc. I get a lot of questions on the NoChoice magnetic mounts which are basically "ripoff" Steelie mounts. They are rock solid, no vibration and hold the phone very securely, even in landscape mode for navigation purposes etc. Side benefit is having a magnetic connector on the back of my phone case allows me to attach it anything metal. I have two phones so I can have them both up at the same time.

Removing the connectors, use a piece of fishing line, the 3M adhesive leaves no residue on the dash. Tried it on my other car as well, no issues.

Search Amazon for NoChoice mounts, there are variety packs etc.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=i:aps,k:nochoice&keywords=nochoice&ie=UTF8&qid=1512969910

#27 ·
Don't forget that you might also want to charge the phone while it's mounted. The ProClip can do that nicely.

#29 ·
Installed my Pro Clip mount and Magnetic Mount on top of that. Works awesome and is super clean. The ProClip snapped right on without needing of their tools too. Fits great!

Pictured here is a Galaxy Note 8 so you all can get an idea on sizing.

#30 ·
I am honestly confused as to why so many of you need to be able to see your phones at all times while driving?

I leave mine in my pocket, or just drop it in where the cup holders are. If anyone really needs to get a hold of me that badly they will call, and my bluetooth will pick it up.

Mostly just a curious question, because I truly don't understand that need.

#31 ·
GPS, music, etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Comp625 and chromey
#42 ·
That product states in its description:

Notices: 1. Please remove the metal plate before using wireless charger for the metal plate could interfere with wireless charging.

Reactions: JohnInNH
#43 ·
I just realized I never updated this thread after I chose my mount. I picked up the Steelie Nite Ize mount because it holds strong and isn't a big, clunky mess on my dash or in my vents:

I have one in my wife's car as well and it's mounted vertically on her dash. It holds strong and doesn't move much at all when hitting rough terrain. Plus, it can swivel into a bunch of different positions. I think it's a clean-looking, affordable option.

#44 ·
I did the ProClip setup for my Iphone X, and also ran the wire between the trim and to the center armrest, super clean and no tools. Only bummer is the charging port in the armrest is not strong enough to charge the phone while using Waze. So I have it connected via Bluetooth with a charger in the 12V socket in the armrest. Prefer USB connection for audio, but not too bad of a compromise. This is on my 2015 Q50S.

Reactions: clayman88
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.