Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Chassis Control Failure

41K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  glogo 
#1 ·
This has happened 3 times in the past two weeks: The first time I start up the car after it has been sitting overnight in sub freezing temps I have no power steering and get a "chassis control failure" warning. If I turn off and re start the car it is fine for the rest of the day. Initially the car had the intouch lockup problem but I had the new software installed in Oct and have not had a re-occurrence. Has anyone else experienced this?

Q50S AWD Tech, Deluxe Touring and nav. Moonlight white

#2 ·
#3 ·
This has happened to me twice. I did a post about it also. Some have indicated that it is a cold weather issue, but it was not cold the 1st time it happened to me. My dealer indicated that it could be a battery issue. It has not happened in a while. It is crazy how many people this has happened to. The one constant that I have observed with my own car and others is that a restart immediately fixes it. Don't try to drive it because it will not fix itself. I think it only happens on start up, so while it is annoying and inexcusable, I don't think it is a real safety issue.

#4 ·
Chassis error problems

This morning we had below zero temps. Warmed car up and as soon as pulled out of the driveway and tried to turn "chassis control error" appeared on screen. Drove awhile thinking it was just the cold weather. Got to my destination, turned car off and started hour later, no problem. Went to my next stop, 30 minutes, started car no warning signal then when I tried to back up and could turn wheel error message again. Steering wheel was crooked and couldn't turn. Drove to dealer and they didn't have a clue when I got there. Then they called me and said it was a "software" issue.
Ugh!!!! $45,000+ for a car and the steering doesnt' work! Should have kept my BMW!!

#5 ·
This morning we had below zero temps. Warmed car up and as soon as pulled out of the driveway and tried to turn "chassis control error" appeared on screen. Drove awhile thinking it was just the cold weather. Got to my destination, turned car off and started hour later, no problem. Went to my next stop, 30 minutes, started car no warning signal then when I tried to back up and could turn wheel error message again. Steering wheel was crooked and couldn't turn. Drove to dealer and they didn't have a clue when I got there. Then they called me and said it was a "software" issue.
Ugh!!!! $45,000+ for a car and the steering doesnt' work! Should have kept my BMW!!
DAS. dumb.ass.steering ;)

#8 ·
Don't Trust it in the cold now!

Granted it has been god awful cold in Chicago, but it is upsetting to know that my car WILL NOT WORK in the cold!!! Wish I had been given heads up on this issue, living in Chicago and all. My Chassis Control Failure occurred leaving work today. Couldn't even get to see my patient's in another hospital! Sure hope no one had a cardiac arrest!

So what now? Do I have to rent a car during the winter?

#9 ·
Granted it has been god awful cold in Chicago, but it is upsetting to know that my car WILL NOT WORK in the cold!!! Wish I had been given heads up on this issue, living in Chicago and all. My Chassis Control Failure occurred leaving work today. Couldn't even get to see my patient's in another hospital! Sure hope no one had a cardiac arrest!

So what now? Do I have to rent a car during the winter?
Check the big DAS steering thread.
Someone in the bitter cold just got a fix and said so far it's working.

Not that I'm trying to suggest all is rose now.
Perhaps there will be more fixes.
It's a new technology so this might not be the only hiccup.

#10 ·
I have the same issue faced by several others.

Happened this morning at 8am (1/7/2014), on the way to school to drop the kids off

We are in the New Jersey / New York metropolitan area - At 5 degrees farenheit / minus 14 celcius

Several items are out/disappointing:

"Chassis control system error" on front display panel
Steering does not work
Forward collision warning/ assistance features have malfunctioned
Car is not usable
NONE OF THE DEALERS WE CONTACTED DO NOT HAVE A LOANER OR REPLACEMENT!

This is not the first time the world is experiencing sub-zero weather.

Why in the world should we give our money to INFINITI again. The number of units reported with NHSTA RECALL CAMPAIGN 13V588000 is about 23, which is BS ! If INFINITI engineers have made a mistake they should accept it and/or at least make arrangements to have all the customers receive loaners through special arrangements while they figure it out!

For now we are back into our other car - a Mercedes ML truck, atleast the merc takes me from A to B inspite of all its electrical problems and works in the cold sub-zero weather !

INFINITI Q50 AWD PREMIUM, WITH LEATHER, TOURING, TECH

#15 ·
I live in Chicago and bought my Q50S AWD Hybrid on 12/31/13. I have been able to drive it without issue for about 48 hours. I have had the same issue as described in this thread. Car cannot be driven and I have lost all confidence. Very frustrated!
Try to let it idle (gas engine running) for 5-10 minutes to warm it up and charge the battery.
You want to see your charge indicator on your dash at least wiggling toward the blue side a bit.

Then do a re-start.
Even though it's inconvienant, it seems to be working for some people to at least get the car started up with everything functioning properly.

#18 ·
My car has been doing this for about a month now. First time was in the morning and I figured it could be low on brake fluid or something. My old G would set off vdc and abs lights when I was low on fluid. Anyway, I needed to get my 7k service so I took the car in to Gunn Infiniti in San Antonio. I told them about the problem and they quickly scanned it and said they couldn't find it. They changed the oil and filters and told me that it's probly a problem caused by my subwoofer that I installed in the trunk. I told them armed with the full schematics and a degree in automotive that I could assure him that my one speaker system wasn't causing an issue with traction control, abs, or vdc. I told him that I would remove it and hope that he was right. A few days after visiting the dealer, the problem came back. Now it's been 95-100 degrees durning the day for past few weeks and this problem only occurs at start up and will go with you throughout thr day if you don't power cycle the can after it gets hot. Now also keep in mind that I do not have a hybrid or awd model, just a premium 3.7 rwd with nav and leather, so this affects more models than we originally thought. Now I've been waiting since last week for an update on my car and nothing yet. I snuck into the back of the shop and couldn't find my car, they have it parked in the service lot so I'm not sure what they plan to do, because as of now they're not doing anything.

#19 ·
This is what they did in my case. The swap the steering wheel modules and replace the computers in my dash.

Has not happened again, but it has only been two weeks and now I have a malfunction indicator light in my dash. Don't know if is related.

#20 ·
Dealer called and is requesting that I have the aftermarket wheels taken off and the stock wheels put on, even though they are the same overall diameter. They made me remove my sub, amp and ambient lighting package now my wheels? It's not cheap to swap tpms sensors on this car and they want me to pay out of pocket before they replace any sensors or computer.

#21 ·
Eric.. yikes that sounds like a bunch of b.s. having to take all your aftermarket stuff off.

I think the prior issue's where either with DAS which you don't have.
Or there was some kind of problem with one of the engine computers in freezing weather where some moisture was getting into it's case and shorting the cpu or something like that.
Basically a batch of susceptible parts got installed.

It doesn't seem like your case would fall into either of these.

#22 ·
I called back and spoke with the service manager and told him that the issue is only on a cold start and occurs before driving, the wheels should have no effect at that moment. The problem I stated occurs during a self diagnostic during start up when the lights first turn on in the dash. They said it makes sense and will have the lead tech look at it... Looks like I may have more insight on the problem than they do. They just hire anyone to work on cars at this dealership. I'm telling them it's a module issue and they said they just can't start swapping them out until they verify that no aftermarket accessories are causing the issue. I say common sense says that.

#23 ·
ANy time you come in with car trouble and a**hole service rep gives you runaround - pick your phone up and dial Infinity Customer Relations - and talk in front of that a**hole - it is free and the look on his face is priceless - for everything else there is MasterCard

#25 ·
I have a 2014 q50 hybrid sport and I have had the chassis control failure light come on a couple times the past two weeks. When it pops on all the driving aids turn off as other people have mentioned but also the hybrid system seems to act funny as well. The “orange car light” with the exclamation point also comes on. The car doesn’t go into electric mode at all and it shifts higher then normal. I was wondering if anyone else had had this occur? I was wondering if the hybrid battery was starting to fail. The car has high miles around 149k.

#26 ·
#27 ·
Wheel speed sensor is a common failure. I would lay bets on that. Of course, it could be a lot of things but go with the percentages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.