Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, heads up everyone. Our q50 had the CEL turn on after 1 month. We brought it to Harte Infiniti and they turned around to say that it was the type of gas used. We have always used 93. Their suggestion was to only use name brand gas stations like Mobile and BP premium gas.....they said the fuel system is picky, which i think is BS. So now, instead of going to any gas station in route to wherever we drive, we MUST use 93 from only certain stations , which are always going to be the most expensive, might i add.......talk about a pain in the ass.
Come on.......Weve gotta do better than that.:mad:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
So, heads up everyone. Our q50 had the CEL turn on after 1 month. We brought it to Harte Infiniti and they turned around to say that it was the type of gas used. We have always used 93. Their suggestion was to only use name brand gas stations like Mobile and BP premium gas.....they said the fuel system is picky, which i think is BS. So now, instead of going to any gas station in route to wherever we drive, we MUST use 93 from only certain stations , which are always going to be the most expensive, might i add.......talk about a pain in the ass.
Dealer is full of BS. My guess is that you didn't have the gas cap properly closed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealer is full of BS. My guess is that you didn't have the gas cap properly closed.
I thought of the same thing because Ive made sure the cap always clicked. I actually thought they gave me a bs excuse over the Only thing in general. Only thing to do now is experiment and see if comes back on.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Yeah, I'm calling BS on that one too. Probably just something random, or loose cap. I haven't heard of CEL being a common problem on this car, so I'm guessing just some anomaly.

I think I'm going to put in some low grade Costco gas next tank and see what happens. So far I've been putting in Super (from Costco and others), but I'd like to see if anything changes. I'm betting it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
On a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being "The Biggest Scambags")
HARTE dealers rate 20

·
Registered
149 Posts
Lol your dealer sold you a line of BS. Good for you you didn't swallow his stinky bait, they should be ashamed.

I see this happening at car dealers frequently:

"A car owner with no knowledge should be prepared to lay their wallet on the table at the dealer and request the person sitting opposite them to feel free and remove as much money from it as they choose".

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Cheapest gas near me, generally, is at the Flying J truck stop. I get their 93 octane.

Never had a problem with any cheap gas that I've ever purchased... except...

...traveling through Nebraska in our brand new 96 SHO we were forced to get some 15% ethanol crap at some off-brand station. Within a few miles, the car began generating a rotten egg smell that would stop a race horse. We drove to Denver with the windows open in 100F+ temps. I was ready to take it to a dealer when, upon refilling with another brand, the smell went away.

Also, another cause for a CEL could be a marginal oxygen sensor. In that same SHO, we would occasionally encounter a CEL, and it did not leave a code. We left it with our dealer for several days, and it finally happened to them; still with no code. After many calls back and forth to Ford, they replaced the oxygen sensors. All was good, afterwards. It seems that occasionally, they only pass spec marginally. They may go in and out of spec under certain loads or randomly.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
IF it happens again, stop by AutoZone and get them to read the code. That should answer the question. BTW doesn't the "intouch" system read codes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.