Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know others have gone to local shops to have a clear bras installed on their Qs, but I would like to buy a pre-cut kit and install it myself.

It looks like 3M's ClearDefender is more trouble than it is worth, so I think I will stay away from a spray solution. That leaves 3M's Scotchgard Paint Protection 3M's Film or Ventureshield Paint Protection Film. Of the two, the Scotchgard film looks to be a better product, but harder to install.

Has anyone found a good online webshop that sells clear bra pre-cut kits? I would like to do some comparison shopping. Most of the ones I have tried don't list 2014 Qs yet.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hi djohnson. The professional who installed the Ventureshield on my car has 8 years experience installing Clear Bra materials. He said the Sport was the most challenging vehicle he had worked on to date. Apparently, the two small vertical panels ( for a lack of more precise terminology) abutting the grille were the two areas that made him turn prematurely grey. I wish you the very best of luck with your installation, and very few grey hairs.

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Checkout Xpel Ultimate as well! Heard a lot of good things about them!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... the two small vertical panels ( for a lack of more precise terminology) abutting the grille were the two areas that made him turn prematurely grey.
Yep, I have seen these two pillers just to the left and right of the grille in some of the online patterns. It does look like it would be a 'bear'.

I have a premium RWD (non-sport). Not sure if that makes much of a difference.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have xpel ultimate on my car. Google it, it's one of the best. I have had 3m scotch guard and ventureshield and the xpel is the best by far.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hi djohnson. The professional who installed the Ventureshield on my car has 8 years experience installing Clear Bra materials. He said the Sport was the most challenging vehicle he had worked on to date. Apparently, the two small vertical panels ( for a lack of more precise terminology) abutting the grille were the two areas that made him turn prematurely grey. I wish you the very best of luck with your installation, and very few grey hairs.
That sure was a nice way to say "Don't Do It!"

·
Registered
225 Posts
You have expel on your Q50? what was the cost and what did it cover?
$700. Front bumper, headlights, 23" up the hood and quarter pannel, mirrors, door cups and luggage tray on rear bumper.

·
Registered
225 Posts
And did you have it installed or do it yourself?
Had it installed. I am pretty handy at most things but there is no way I would ever do a clear bra on my own. The installer said it was one of the toughest cars he had ever done because of the sport bumper.

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Can you show pics of where the lines cut off? I am thinking it will be barely seen on Moonlight White but does it compromise the look of the paint as well?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can you show pics of where the lines cut off? I am thinking it will be barely seen on Moonlight White but does it compromise the look of the paint as well?
We had dealer install on my wife's moonlight white it is very nice and blends in well. I would say better than on my Malbec Black M37
Cost was 880 or there abouts

Reactions: gbert15

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
We had dealer install on my wife's moonlight white it is very nice and blends in well. I would say better than on my Malbec Black M37
Cost was 880 or there abouts
On MW the clear bra lines s/b practically invisible but on darker color cars it's noticeable if the car is dirty. The cost &880 seems high but make sure you get the warrant from the dealer on the clear bra.
Pics please.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
+1 on this. I would love to see the cut off lines and some up close pics of it. I'm really interested in getting this done on mine but only if it will look like theres nothing on it.

·
Registered
225 Posts

These Pics are in my garage so it's much easier to see the line than outside in the light.

Outside you can't even see it. You have to get right above it or close behind the cut to see it at all.

***Also, I could have done the whole hood and whole front quarter panels for about $400 more.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looks good. Did they use 3M 8mm clear film?
Thanks! No, they used xpel ultimate. I believe the 3M film your asking about may be the scotchguard or ventureshield. I had both in the past and the hood line is much more pronounced than the xpel. Also both had serious orange peel whereas the xpel has none.

Also, the xpel ultimate is self healing meaning that if a rock hits it and scratches it, over a few hours it will form back to a flawless surface.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Thanks! No, they used xpel ultimate. I believe the 3M film your asking about may be the scotchguard or ventureshield. I had both in the past and the hood line is much more pronounced than the xpel. Also both had serious orange peel whereas the xpel has none.

Also, the xpel ultimate is self healing meaning that if a rock hits it and scratches it, over a few hours it will form back to a flawless surface.
Here's more info xpel: XPEL Technologies Corp.: Frequently Asked Questions
Good, enjoy your q50

Reactions: bdbaity

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Thats amazing. You cant even tell there's a clear bra on there when its outside. Can you see it at night when the sun is down? Im seriously thinking about wrapping the front bumper at least. Not sure about the hood and the fenders yet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.