Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully that title got people's attention! Lol just kidding ladies

Had a ? For you guys! Has anyone gotten a clear bra put on to the from of their cars? If so what product have you used?

I'm looking into getting a 3m or xpel bra put on! And if you don't mind sharing what ballpark you paid to get it done.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Xpel Ultra. $600 for front bumper, headlights and rocker panels. So Cal.

The 3m product is more scratch resistant but has a much stronger adhesive making it much more difficult to install on the Q50 front bumper. Plus the Xpel product is clearer.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xpel Ultra. $600 for front bumper, headlights and rocker panels. So Cal.

The 3m product is more scratch resistant but has a much stronger adhesive making it much more difficult to install on the Q50 front bumper. Plus the Xpel product is clearer.
Did you go all the way up the hood and the front fenders?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just front bumper. None on the hood.

Although putting some film on the first 10 inches of the hood would add a little more protection, the angle of the Q hood means stones would likely glance off.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just had 3M/VentureShield protection installed. $699 in South Florida for full front bumper, both mirror backs, and 19 inches of coverage on fenders and hood. The installer used VentureShield on the hood only because it has less of the "orange peel" look to it, and the hood is typically more visible than the other parts. I originally wanted to go with XPEL, but had difficulty getting in touch with the few authorized dealers within a reasonable driving distance.

You might have better luck where you are.

Either way, do a thread search for clear bra as there are a few threads that discuss the various brands in depth.

Also, check, double check, triple check the installers to make sure they know what they are doing. Ask to see their work, ask for references, and make sure they have the proper equipment ie. computer template machine.

The installer also installed at no charge protection in all 4 door cups and along the top of the rear bumper where the trunk. You might want to consider these areas as well.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just had 3M/VentureShield protection installed. $699 in South Florida for full front bumper, both mirror backs, and 19 inches of coverage on fenders and hood. The installer used VentureShield on the hood only because it has less of the "orange peel" look to it, and the hood is typically more visible than the other parts. I originally wanted to go with XPEL, but had difficulty getting in touch with the few authorized dealers within a reasonable driving distance.

You might have better luck where you are.

Either way, do a thread search for clear bra as there are a few threads that discuss the various brands in depth.

Also, check, double check, triple check the installers to make sure they know what they are doing. Ask to see their work, ask for references, and make sure they have the proper equipment ie. computer template machine.

The installer also installed at no charge protection in all 4 door cups and along the top of the rear bumper where the trunk. You might want to consider these areas as well.
I just got my windows tinted today and the shop did have comp template machine. Had the tint done in a little less than a hour and a half.

I did mention to him I wanted the trunk portion done as well when I take it back in, might have to bargain with him to include the extras you got!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds good, also thought of a few other things that came up during the process that may help.

Although my installer was one of the few 3M certified installers in the area, they hadn't done a Q50 until I brought mine in. This was relevant because it definitively challenged them in terms of finding the right template to use (most installers will review various templates ie. from 3M, EXPEL, etc. until they find a template they like and then use that to cut the film).

He tried the 3M template first and evidently had to scrap it after starting because he didn't like the way it was fitting. He told me that he called his 3M rep to see what was going on and was told that they weren't quite 100% ready to go yet with their computer model for the Q50. He ended up using the XPEL template instead, although the product he installed was not XPEL.

He threw in the extra coverage because of the delay.

I heavily considered full hood and fender coverage, but it basically doubles the cost so it would have been almost $1,300.

I also considered my installer's highway package which adds a-pillar coverage as we'll as a 2 inch strip on the roofline that starts at the top of the windshield....evidently these areas see quite a bit of action if you drive for a living. Alas, I had to draw the line somewhere, they also did my tint, so the $$ were adding up.

I'd like to have the kick panels done on the front 2 doors in the near future since they tend to get scuff and scratched quite a bit upon entry.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking of getting the kick plates done as well. We went to the xpel website today and saw that they had the templates for all q50 trims but again like 3m who knows how it will fit!

I want to protect the entire car but that would cost enough dinero to fly to the moon and back so I'll probably go with kick plates, front bumper, half hood, head lights, and the trunk.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cool, consider the mirror backs as well. If you spend time on freeways, you'll notice that they get hammered quite a bit.

From some of the diy videos I've seen, the kick plate coverage looks like something you could do on your own and the film is available from XPEL on amazon.com. Same thing with the trunk and door cups if you're feeling handy

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Knowing my handiness the stuff will probably come out crooked, haha!

The kick plates on the other hand seem simple enough to put the film on, again in theory!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
xpel ultimate is best clear bra film- $600-700 for front upper & lower bumper, half hood, head lights, fog lights, & signal lights, fenders, mirrors, trunk area bumper, door handle cavity. All these pieces come computer pre-cut and takes about 6 hrs for a professional xpel trained installer.
here's pic where you can hardly see xpel clear bra:

·
Registered
436 Posts
my advice is that if you own a white car. get the full hood wrapped.

no mattter what people say. there will be a color difference one day between the bra and the paint.
When I bought my car the front end was already wrapped, about 12 inches up the hood. You really cant see it from the front but the hood line is definetly noticeable from the side. I will be having the whole hood done in the spring when I bring the car back out.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
xpel ultimate is best clear bra film- $600-700 for front upper & lower bumper, half hood, head lights, fog lights, & signal lights, fenders, mirrors, trunk area bumper, door handle cavity. All these pieces come computer pre-cut and takes about 6 hrs for a professional xpel trained installer.
here's pic where you can hardly see xpel clear bra:

Wow you really cant see anything in this picture. I really need to get on this and get this done.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
We just had an Xpel installer do two cars in our inventory on spec for us to sell/show. Really, really good looking product. They did the whole front, door cups and 10-12" of the hood, plus mirrors. If I were planning to keep my car past the term of the lease, I'd definitely opt for that stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.