Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was manage to cloned the navigation SD HC card. I just tested it and the navigation did load up fine. I have to wait until tomorrow morning to drive the car and see if it really work well.
The original SD HC card used by infiniti is "Class 4" SDHC card.
I managed to cloned it to work on "Class 10" SDHC card.
The reason I am doing this is:
1. I wants to have a backup of the navigation just in case the SD card failed. When it come to solid state memory, they can failed without notice.
2. I wants to know if it will speed up the Navigation and Intouch since they both tie together. Class 10 is alots faster than class 4.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Can the card reader read that fast? Some can't. I would hope they put in a decent card reader but who knows??

Curious to see if it works.

Also, would you mind sharing how you did that? (Unless its against forum rules of course). I'd like to know if its a simple copy of the card contents and they are matched to the nav somehow. Not looking to do anything illegal or unethical - just like to have a backup in case something happens to the card like the OP said.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hmmm that is a really good idea. The read speed of Class 10 is much better than 4. What memory size is the current one? Where is it located?
I believe it is 16GB (not 100% sure). It is located in the center console right next to the usb ports.

I'm hoping OP is right about the performance increase (and that it works). Performance for SD cards is based on both the media and the reader (not all readers support the higher speed cards).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wife just pulled into the driveway with HER new Q50.

It is a 16GB card. The placement is directly above (I previously said "next to") the USB ports.

Reactions: JasonH

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What memory size is the current one? Where is it located?
It is 16GB SDHC card. It's located next to the 2 usb connection.

Can the card reader read that fast? Some can't. I would hope they put in a decent card reader but who knows??
Curious to see if it works.
Also, would you mind sharing how you did that?
As long your card reader support SDHC, it should be able to read/write to any class SDHC card.
When I first tried to just copy the file to another SDHC card, it didn't work.
I manage to found a free cloning software called Win32 Disk Imager that does the trick. You can Google it and download it for free.
When I tried to clone it back to another 16GB card, it say not enough space. I had to clone it to a 32GB card. If you intent to clone the Q50 Nav SDHC card, make sure to put it in write protected so you don't accidently delete or format it.

I tried the navigation guidance from my home to work and it work perfectly fine. As for speed difference, I don't know. It seem a little faster, but maybe it's just me that wants to think it is. The navigation feel quick, but the Intouch still feel slow and lag on certain situation.

Reactions: betogom

·
Registered
276 Posts
One good test might be to navigate cross country with the original and new card and time each.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry. The cloned nav doesn't work as well as I expected. Sometime it prompt "Loading Voice Navigation" which I never encounter before with the original nav sd card. Also, Intouch feel sluggish with the cloned one. I put back the original nav sd card and everything seem better. So, scrap and throw this cloning method out the door.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Mod, please remove this thread. Thanks.
+1, I don't think you should remove it. It will be a good discussion is anyone else is trying to do it and searches if it is possible.

Somebody might learn from what you've done and figure out how to make it work.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Hi kids! Your second favorite mod here. Cloning the proprietary SD navigation card is a bad idea and doesn't work well, will void your warranty, and leave questionable lipstick on your collar for your wife to see, so don't do it.

Next thread!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.