Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo basically im debating if they are worth it for my build at this time or if i should just do K&N drop ins...

17" Premium 3.0 mbrp catback, ams ldp's Jb4 and just got a BOV today... if I do CAI i figured I'd do it in conjunction with the BOV install as well to make things easier anyhoot being that the OEM intakes are pretty good quality as well has left me unsure. need opinions!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I did the K&N drop ins.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
try a dryflow instead of an oiled filter.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
1,691 Posts
If you can afford it and you think you'll eventually do every bolt on you can do, then why not? I went with the AMS Infiniti logo version.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,087 Posts
try a dryflow instead of an oiled filter.
Agreed. I'd rather change dry air filters than mess with oiled filters. Dry filters remove more dirt than oiled filters because they are more efficient but slightly more restrictive. An oiled filter will pass more air but an improperly oiled filter can foul MAFs. Oiled filters are best left to motorcycles and lawnmowers. The minute difference in air flow isn't worth the hassle of an oiled filter IMHO. Use a quality dry filter and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Agreed. I'd rather change dry air filters than mess with oiled filters. Dry filters remove more dirt than oiled filters because they are more efficient but slightly more restrictive. An oiled filter will pass more air but an improperly oiled filter can foul MAFs. Oiled filters are best left to motorcycles and lawnmowers. The minute difference in air flow isn't worth the hassle of an oiled filter IMHO. Use a quality dry filter and be done with it.
I meant the reusable dry filters...like AEM.

Still, I don't mind the factory replacements at all as there is just about zero gain on these cars with a drop in.

I got a set from Amazon and they were a little thicker than factory and hard to get in. I gave up and just run WIX replacement filters. I compared the WIX and Fram. They looked almost identical in colors, the rubber, the paper...but, the WIX ones looked better built with tighter tolerances.

Edit: Avedis, if it takes a minute for air to pass through your filters, it is time to change them.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,087 Posts
Edit: Avedis, if it takes a minute for air to pass through your filters, it is time to change them.
minute (ˈmi-nət) - 1/60 of an hour

minute (mī-ˈnüt) - very small

They're homonyms.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
minute (ˈmi-nət) - 1/60 of an hour

minute (mī-ˈnüt) - very small

They're homonyms.
Hey...I don't judge...whatever their preference is their business.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Aren't the stock intakes basically cold air intakes? They aren't taking the air in from the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I meant the reusable dry filters...like AEM.

Still, I don't mind the factory replacements at all as there is just about zero gain on these cars with a drop in.

I got a set from Amazon and they were a little thicker than factory and hard to get in. I gave up and just run WIX replacement filters. I compared the WIX and Fram. They looked almost identical in colors, the rubber, the paper...but, the WIX ones looked better built with tighter tolerances.

Been using WIX for >10k miles now and it's relatively tighter to fit in than OEM but more surface area (to hold more dirt).

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Aren't the stock intakes basically cold air intakes? They aren't taking the air in from the engine bay.
Yes! and as there are two of them (each with its own filter) I find it hard to believe that is where a bottleneck could be. And, if there is any restriction in the induction system at all. Even at 7,000 RPM I would think enough air enters the engine.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Yes! and as there are two of them (each with its own filter) I find it hard to believe that is where a bottleneck could be. And, if there is any restriction in the induction system at all. Even at 7,000 RPM I would think enough air enters the engine.
Aye most intakes are pretty well optimized from the factory which is why their is very little improvement to be had without a tune,
that said nearly all intake are setup to isolate the cabin from sounds in the engine bay and will include expansion chambers
or odd-routing to do so.

Those small changes do limit the car when you start tuning and trying to squeeze every bit of power out of the engine.

This is just an example from the G37, but it's the housing just below the vacuum line.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PHP:
If you can afford it and you think you'll eventually do every bolt on you can do, then why not? I went with the AMS Infiniti logo version.
That was the initial thought do it for the **** of it and looks if there was a clear cut performance difference it wouldn't be a question....but thats not case sooo now I'm on the fence... maybe user preference at this point lmao

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
^^^

Aaaaaaand that is why I haven't bothered.

Even with my turbo subaru. Only reason I got an aftermarket intake is because I went full [email protected] with bigger turbo.

I believe intakes make a bigger differences in an NA application.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,087 Posts
While I understand why the dynos are run with the hood open for cooling purposes, doesn't that help the intakes that don't have boxes to isolate the hot air inside the hood? I'd think it would be more real-world to test with the hood closed. Regardless, the OEM CAI performs the best under stock conditions. Have they done similar testing yet on the modified Q50 they said they would be doing to see how the CAIs perform with bolt-ons and a tune?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
While I understand why the dynos are run with the hood open for cooling purposes, doesn't that help the intakes that don't have boxes to isolate the hot air inside the hood? I'd think it would be more real-world to test with the hood closed. Regardless, the OEM CAI performs the best under stock conditions. Have they done similar testing yet on the modified Q50 they said they would be doing to see how the CAIs perform with bolt-ons and a tune?
I haven't seen any updates videos comparing intakes with a tune. As far as open vs closed hood, I'm not sure it would impact IAT much since hot air rises and your only air source is typically an undersized fan out in front of the car. The cold air kit would have more effect with w closed good if it was getting true air pressure coming into it....at least that's what does reasonable in my head haha.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Just saved me a bunch of money by not buying an aftermarket intake:D In my 40 years of modding cars, I have never found an intake replacement alone to do any good.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts