Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed in the two days that I've had my new Q50 that the engine makes a lot of noise at the initial morning start up. It sounds like the timing chains or valve train making the noise... almost like the oil hasn't circulated to those parts. It lasts for about 10 seconds then you can hear the engine smooth out and it sounds normal. While I know there aren't a lot of owners here yet, I'd like to hear any feedback on wether this is a "normal" issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Sound normal to me. Actually, 10 seconds is pretty good for the engine to warm up. Mine is about 10 - 20 seconds, depend how cold the weather is in the morning.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've also noticed a noisy cold start and even an uneven idle that goes away when the engine is warmer. As mentioned by Q'ed Up it doesn't last long.

·
Registered
89 Posts
G37's were the same.. high idle when it first turns on... it is normal guys :)
My '11 G does not have the same behavior as the Q. The revs may be a bit higher than warm, but the Q is downright noisy and the uneven (kinda lumpy) vibration is far more noticeable.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Example.. it was a little cold this morning.. my 13 G37 was idling over 1500 when I first turned it on this morning..

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Same here. Mine sounds like a truck when it starts...but that's only because its between two houses and the sound echo's through. Goes away after a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The 3.7 has a distinct snarl to it when it starts. The 3.5 in the hybrid is a little more tame, although not mentioned by anyone here whether this discussion is a hybrid or regular engine we are talking about I suspect my old friend the VQ37 is the main suspect here. I have a Sport muffler on my coupe and it shakes the floor of my townhouse when started in the morning and my garage is climate controlled.

To those who are new to the brand the VQ37 uses what they call Variable Valve Event and Lift, it is similar to the old V-tech used by Honda but it works all the time instead of only over ~3K. Here is an older article that explains it better than I can.
VVEL | NISSAN | TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES
Basically there are a lot more moving parts in there. The initial cold start is harsh sounding but it should not damage anything. The engine computers main goal is to reach operating temperature as quick as possible where it can better control the tailpipe emissions.

The noise should not persist longer than about 30 seconds but it may if the ambient temperature is really low.

Yes, it's noisy when starting up cold. Most cars are however, my Acura V6 purred like a kitten when running, same for most of my other cars.
I know they lack character. To me they sounds like a sewing machine, I want to know it's awake and ready to play.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The 3.7 has a distinct snarl to it when it starts. The 3.5 in the hybrid is a little more tame, although not mentioned by anyone here whether this discussion is a hybrid or regular engine we are talking about I suspect my old friend the VQ37 is the main suspect here. I have a Sport muffler on my coupe and it shakes the floor of my townhouse when started in the morning and my garage is climate controlled.

To those who are new to the brand the VQ37 uses what they call Variable Valve Event and Lift, it is similar to the old V-tech used by Honda but it works all the time instead of only over ~3K. Here is an older article that explains it better than I can.
VVEL | NISSAN | TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES
Basically there are a lot more moving parts in there. The initial cold start is harsh sounding but it should not damage anything. The engine computers main goal is to reach operating temperature as quick as possible where it can better control the tailpipe emissions.

The noise should not persist longer than about 30 seconds but it may if the ambient temperature is really low.

I know they lack character. To me they sounds like a sewing machine, I want to know it's awake and ready to play.
from what i've seen the value timing from different companies mentioned to be, VTEC, i-VTEC, VVT-i, etc are essentially similar in ways. I love how Honda's VTEC sound.

·
Registered
309 Posts
from what i've seen the value timing from different companies mentioned to be, VTEC, i-VTEC, VVT-i, etc are essentially similar in ways. I love how Honda's VTEC sound.
This is slightly different than general valve timing. Infiniti uses hydraulic and magnetic controls to actually move the cams. VVEL is something additional to that where it changes the lift and duration of the valves.

I liked how Hondas sounded too...but that was in the 90s.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
*** update *** Went to the dealer today for another issue and checked on this issue. After going around their lot and starting about 5 Q50's, I came to realize the sound is normal. Thanks for all who posted.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Thanks for the information about/reasons for 3.7 and 3.5 engine noise at startup. Your news is very helpful. I've been a Toyota/Lexus fan for decades and have experience with the 3MZ-FE engine which, even with high mileage (210K on our Highlander), is much more quiet during the first 20 seconds after startup than the 3.5 in the Q50 hybrid with 2K miles and a "soft" break-in. Fortunately, the 3.5 becomes "stealthy" quiet once normal engine temperature is reached.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Thanks for the information about/reasons for 3.7 and 3.5 engine noise at startup. Your news is very helpful. I've been a Toyota/Lexus fan for decades and have experience with the 3MZ-FE engine which, even with high mileage (210K on our Highlander), is much more quiet during the first 20 seconds after startup than the 3.5 in the Q50 hybrid with 2K miles and a "soft" break-in. Fortunately, the 3.5 becomes "stealthy" quiet once normal engine temperature is reached.
Its interesting you pointed that out. Our 2001 Highlander has 110k miles on it and sounds so quiet when it starts compared to my Q50. However, it does take longer to warm up than the Q50 does.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Interesting, Maddsiick. I agree!

·
Registered
108 Posts
It got colder here in Poland and I experienced just the same issue in my Q50S Hybrid: noisier startup on cold and car getting into vibrations. It goes away after 15-30 seconds depending on the ambient temperature. Strange feeling once you get used to the silent & imperceptible startup of the hybrid :)

It seems G37 owners experienced just the same issue:

http://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/215732-cold-start-vibration-need-help.html
http://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/206840-rough-and-noisy-at-startup.html

So I guess it is totally normal, although I have not experienced anything like that in any of my previous cars.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Not to mention mass airflow sensor completely opening air valve when cold - lasts about 10 seconds

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.