Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has been talked about over and over but I'm not pointing out the problem, but just thought I'd share a little diagnostic session with you all.

In Calgary we had a cold snap today that brought our temperatures to -26C. As I was driving out of a heated garage everything was okay even when it slowly dialed up to -26 in city roads. It's when I jumped on the highway/freeway, doing 100km/hr+ for less than a minute, my little Q's intouch just reset and then flickered at the user selection screen before blanking out about the SD card crap. I decided to reset it manually again and it just keeps doing the same thing.

I pulled out of the highway and went to a run an errand for about 15 minutes and restarted the car, everything came back. I jumped back on the freeway and after 30 seconds on the highway the bugger intouch did the same thing again.

Maybe the windchill from the outside is making the outside of my little Q feel like -50?

What's your input on it? Just thought it was interesting to share. If it isn't i'll refrain from this silliness in the future.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
So this has been talked about over and over but I'm not pointing out the problem, but just thought I'd share a little diagnostic session with you all.

In Calgary we had a cold snap today that brought our temperatures to -26C. As I was driving out of a heated garage everything was okay even when it slowly dialed up to -26 in city roads. It's when I jumped on the highway/freeway, doing 100km/hr+ for less than a minute, my little Q's intouch just reset and then flickered at the user selection screen before blanking out about the SD card crap. I decided to reset it manually again and it just keeps doing the same thing.

I pulled out of the highway and went to a run an errand for about 15 minutes and restarted the car, everything came back. I jumped back on the freeway and after 30 seconds on the highway the bugger intouch did the same thing again.

Maybe the windchill from the outside is making the outside of my little Q feel like -50?

What's your input on it? Just thought it was interesting to share. If it isn't i'll refrain from this silliness in the future.
Thanks for sharing.

There's no doubt that electronics do not like extreme cold. As for Wind Chill, here's how NOAA describes it:

Wind Chill is the term used to describe the rate of heat loss on the human body resulting from the combined effect of low temperature and wind. As winds increase, heat is carried away from the body at a faster rate, driving down both the skin temperature and eventually the internal body temperature. While exposure to low wind chills can be life threatening to both humans and animals alike, the only effect that wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as vehicles, is that it shortens the time that it takes the object to cool to the actual air temperature (it cannot cool the object down below that temperature).

So wind chill accelerates how quickly your car cools to ambient temperature, but not below it.

Recent Infiniti info about poor grounds may be a factor in your experience. I can imagine how the shrinking and expansion of metals could lead to electrical connection problems.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
In your scenario, I don't understand why outside temp would impact intouch, a system that's built mostly in between a heated cockpit and running engine bay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.