Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question, but a question nonetheless. Does the Q50 apply brakes automatically in the case it detects an object or a stopped vehicle?

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
What? You got the tech package. Don't tell me you haven't let the car drive by itself?
I tested it with my buddy standing behind my car and I backup toward him. The car actually stopped. Pretty cool when you actually experience it.
Love it!! That's what friends are for!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to better explain. I let the car drive itself all the time, but im talking like when you are.driving at speed n you approach a vehicle that is stopped at a light. It seems the car will just plow to it if I let it. It seems the only time it auto brakes is when the vehicle up front is moving and recognized by the system

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you let the car auto drive, it will slow down and stop if the car in front of you is stationary. I have not test it without auto driving. Kind of scary to attempt it by driving at certain speed toward a stationary vehicle. I think it should stop, but not 100% sure. Why don't you give it a try and report back :D

I need to better explain. I let the car drive itself all the time, but im talking like when you are.driving at speed n you approach a vehicle that is stopped at a light. It seems the car will just plow to it if I let it. It seems the only time it auto brakes is when the vehicle up front is moving and recognized by the system

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yea, it is a little tough to test, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Well, obviously the car's tech is no substitute for driving safety but a quick way to tell if your car is likely to stop on its own is to look for the car icon at the top of the center Vehicle Info Display(VID) between the tach and speedometer.

If you don't see the car icon, then the Q doesn't sense the car in front of you and won't stop. The car icon is your verification that the Q has a vehicle in its sights and will likely intervene if necessary.

If I recall, the manual states that a stationary car would not activate the auto braking but I'm not 100% sure.

The rear sensors work a bit differently and the upper screen will show any movement or objects detected by highlighting that section in red (it's usually yellow).

Check the manual and test a bit yourself (in controlled, safe ways please :) ) but it definitely isn't 100% effective all the time so keep your eyes on the road, your hands on the wheel and a foot ready to brake.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I thought I posted this before, but here goes:

I had to find out, so I did so with heart in mouth. As I approached a stop sign, with two cars already there, I let the car roll, with my foot over the brake, just in case. The split second before I was about to hit the brake, the car came to a dead stop, about three feet behind the next car. The car then started to roll forward, which it will do normally when the brake isn't applied, so I then put my foot on the brake. So yes, the system works, BUT I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!:eek:

By the way, when I posted this before, some forum member complained that the car didn't stay stopped, and was annoyed that he had to keep his foot on the brake to keep it from rolling forward. Ridiculous - it's not a self-driving car.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Selzini. Fyi the mercedes does hold its brake and then re accelerates with the traffic. Is preety cool

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is actually a tad different. On ours it works as far as tge car is.moving even if is just 1 mph. On the merc it goes all the way to dead stop, holds it, and accelerates again.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yeah, that's one of the gripe I had with the Q50 tech package. It's not a true stop and go ICC. It only hold for 3 seconds and you have to press the brake. Then, you have to redo the ICC again. Not very well implementation and thought out process.
The Q50 tech is capable of doing a true stop and go traffic. I wonder why Infiniti engineers decided not to do it.

Is actually a tad different. On ours it works as far as tge car is.moving even if is just 1 mph. On the merc it goes all the way to dead stop, holds it, and accelerates again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, that's one of the gripe I had with the Q50 tech package. It's not a true stop and go ICC. It only hold for 3 seconds and you have to press the brake. Then, you have to redo the ICC again. Not very well implementation and thought out process.
The Q50 tech is capable of doing a true stop and go traffic. I wonder why Infiniti engineers decided not to do it.
My Q50 (with the tech package) works just fine this way. It doesnt simply hold for 3 seconds. It holds until the object in front of you moves.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My Q50 (with the tech package) works just fine this way. It doesnt simply hold for 3 seconds. It holds until the object in front of you moves.
Same technology - different results. My guess is that it is a setting that is different.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
No it doesn't. Many people had tried it including myself. It only hold for 3 seconds and you have to press the brake. Go try it again and time it.
If your actually hold more than 3 seconds, please provide a video. I would love to see it.

Here is a thread that got discussed:
http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/10370-icc-no-longer-stop-go.html

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you think that's fun, try turning on the adaptive cruise control and lane assist while on the interstate. It can't take a much of a curve, but minor bends in the road can now be "hands-free" :).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.