Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we bit the bullet today and picked up a used '19 RS 400. Unfortunately, the bozo's are the dealership or the transport guys curbed one of the wheels :mad:

I live in the sticks and it will be months before I can get back to Tampa to have it refinished properly, but would like to apply a little DIY touch-up for now so it's not glaring at me every time I get in the car !
DId a search here, but couldn't really find anything - I can't be the 1st person that encountered a curbed wheel !?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
More importantly, what's the plan for a permanent fix? Did the dealer take responsibility and put in writing that they'd pay for the repair?

As for the short term, I don't think I'd spend too much money or worry about the exact paint code. I'd probably just cover it up with a dark gray marker.

Or - don't laugh - but I've even gone to Wal-Mart and bought a cheap 'close enough' nail polish before, for temporary or not as important touch-ups. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Wow, a USED 2019...someone was unhappy with that car.

I would move that wheel to the opposite side of the car. Out of sight out of mind. Plus you're more likely to curb a wheel on that side of the car (passenger side I assume) and you might as well hit the one that is already damaged.

Unless you have something in writing (or an email) at the time you accepted the car, no one will own up to it and fix it free of charge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't press it with them, don't trust them to really repair it correctly (Carmax). The Infiniti dealer uses a place that does a great job & it's not too expensive.
The car has 17K miles on it & was put in service on 11/12/18, some sort of exec or CSE car. Price was great due to the miles and we will only be rolling about 5K miles/yr on it, so by the end of a year or so it will be considered a low mileage car. My M45 was just like this (1 yr old, high miles) and worked out great.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Just find a wheel repair shop and have them refinish the wheel. I've curbed a couple of wheels and the mobile wheel repair shop I found fixed each one for $120 and it took only an hour for them to repair a wheel. Can not tell the wheels were curbed and the paint match was perfect.

Perhaps you can talk the dealership into picking up the tab so you don't have to make the long journey back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just find a wheel repair shop and have them refinish the wheel. I've curbed a couple of wheels and the mobile wheel repair shop I found fixed each one for $120 and it took only an hour for them to repair a wheel. Can not tell the wheels were curbed and the paint match was perfect.

Perhaps you can talk the dealership into picking up the tab so you don't have to make the long journey back.
I wish that was an option for me, but we're in the sticks and none of the mobile places will come out this far. Loads to pick from in Tampa, St. Pete, Orlando & Gainsville - but they are all 90 minutes from here. Sooooo, until I have a reason to go into Tampa, I'm stuck with it as-is + whatever DIY thing I can cook up.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I have the same problem, living out in the sticks. I had to drive 90 minutes to get to the nearest mobile wheel repair operation to get my wheels repaired.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Please tell me you guys have a nearby Taco Bell. I don't think I could live without one nearby.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please tell me you guys have a nearby Taco Bell. I don't think I could live without one nearby.
LOL - no shortage of fast food places, but no high end car dealers. We were hoping they would open a store in Ocala (30 min away) and the Nissan dealer was working on it (they are owned by Atlantic Infiniti) but it never happened. Ocala even has a Porsche, BMW & Land Rover dealer but no Lexis, Audi or Infiniti :(

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
We have one Taco Bell, McDonalds, Dairy Queen and Burger King. We do have a half-dozen marijuana dispensaries in Newport though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On A whim I picked this up @ WalMart for $10 yesterday. It's not a 100% match, but pretty close. I put a quick coat on the damaged sections of my wheel and it made the damage far less noticeable. Not perfect, but passes the 10' test and most would not notice it even close up (unless they were OCD like me). Anyway, will get me thru till I can get to Tampa and have it fixed correctly.

Would be a pretty good match if you just needed to repair a small scrape or chip and you applied it carefully. I think mine would be even less visible if I had sanded the roughed up areas 1st and had blended it in better.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
How about a pic of the touched-up area on the wheel?

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
We have one Taco Bell, McDonalds, Dairy Queen and Burger King. We do have a half-dozen marijuana dispensaries in Newport though.
The Taco Bell, McDonalds, Dairy Queen and Burger King employees have to have someplace to spend their paychecks.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Man, that $1 menu at TB is just absolutely spectacular. Amazingly astonishing. And add some Baja Blast Mtn Dew? The perfect meal. It's 1am, are they open now ................... ?

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
The Taco Bell, McDonalds, Dairy Queen and Burger King employees have to have someplace to spend their paychecks.
We have more dispensaries than Starbucks around here.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Even though they are legal here in CA now, my city doesn't allow them.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
What is the over/under for when these two combine? Seems inevitable.
That would be interesting but the Oregon Liquor Control Commission oversees marijuana sales and unless the laws are changed, that won't ever happen.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts