Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I am new to this forum, I searched for this topic but I was not able to find something specific, so, here is goes a new thread (in the absence of an actual car that I can take for a test ride).
I am comtemplating to make up my mind on the Q50 model to choose, I think I am sold on the Hybrid, the big indecision I have now is Sports vs Regular model, I like everything in the looks of sports, however, what worries me are comments from people that drove low profile tires for a long time, they tend to be unhappy that have to be very carefull as to where they drive and the ride apparently is much harder and bumpier than regular 17" tires. I would like to hear from members here that have had these type of tires before if those comments are founded. To be clear, for me comfort is number one and then looks secondary, but, if I could have both, hey, that would be a grat bonus!!!
Currently I (mostly my wife these days) drive a BMW 535i (2012), very happy with the ride and in general with the car, except for the user interface for the nav (really sucks). I want to buy a second car that is fun to ride and have to use, computers are second nature for me (so not afraid from the new tech), I am 6' 2" and comfort in riding long distances is key.
Any input wil be greatly appreciated. You sporty funs, please share your rationale for picking that model.....!!!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
This is one of the things a lot of modders want to accomplish and it is quite hard to balance! For me, I have personally not been able to test drive the Q50 yet but from what I gather from peoples comments, the run flat tire is the culprit if ride comfort was being compromised! It has been my experience that as I went to bigger wheels, the less comfortable the ride became but ofcourse you have to also consider the type of suspension u have! So basically conder that if you get sport you will also get a sport suspension and will get that stiffer ride! So far a nice compromise, as what BenW did, was to get the Premium, to get the non sport suspension, then add the 19" wheels! I can ramble on and on about this but in the end its you who has to experience it! Personally, I have a high tolerance for ride comfort now-a-days since I have been driving with 20s with 235/35/20 front and 255/35/20 rear for quite some time and have stiffened coilovers and thats why I got the sport trim, but the quest for ride comfort while having bigger wheels is still something I want to accomplish!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
This is one of the things a lot of modders want to accomplish and it is quite hard to balance! For me, I have personally not been able to test drive the Q50 yet but from what I gather from peoples comments, the run flat tire is the culprit if ride comfort was being compromised! It has been my experience that as I went to bigger wheels, the less comfortable the ride became but ofcourse you have to also consider the type of suspension u have! So basically conder that if you get sport you will also get a sport suspension and will get that stiffer ride! So far a nice compromise, as what BenW did, was to get the Premium, to get the non sport suspension, then add the 19" wheels! I can ramble on and on about this but in the end its you who has to experience it! Personally, I have a high tolerance for ride comfort now-a-days since I have been driving with 20s with 235/35/20 front and 255/35/20 rear for quite some time and have stiffened coilovers and thats why I got the sport trim, but the quest for ride comfort while having bigger wheels is still something I want to accomplish!
This is what is concerning me. I'm getting the hybrid, which has the sport suspension as standard. Even with the 17" tires, it sounds like the ride will not be as comfortable as I want, AND the handling won't be the best, either.:(

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
This is what is concerning me. I'm getting the hybrid, which has the sport suspension as standard. Even with the 17" tires, it sounds like the ride will not be as comfortable as I want, AND the handling won't be the best, either.:(
The comfort is just fine. I test drove the premium version with 19" tires, and it drove and felt like a dream. I know the sport and hybrid will be even better. No worries...

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Hmmm...forgot that about the hybrid! Good point! Hopefully its something thats blown out of proportion and would actually be fine when you test drive your car! If anything maybe a simple change of tires could help some of the mentioned handling/comfort issues but I wish infiniti just didnt use run flats!:(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now,I can see the value of this forum!, I did not realize that the Hybrid has as a default the sports supsension, that may be a deal breaker for the Hybrid and I may just go for the gasser instead. thank you for pointing this detail
Esteban

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I test drove the Q50S hybrid with 19" Dunlop RFT. To me, the Q50S hybrid ride felt even more quite and comfortable than my Lexus ES350.
The handling of course blown the ES350 away.

The comfort is just fine. I test drove the premium version with 17" tires, and it drove and felt like a dream. I know the sport and hybrid will be even better. No worries...

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I imagine Hybrid gets the sport suspension to soak up the extra battery weight and allow the car to handle better. Putting ~300lbs of L-Ion batteries in the trunk would make it handle differently with the same suspension.

Edmund's comments about the 17" RFTs really has me reconsidering getting 19's with the summer tires. This car has to handle as well as or better than my '04 sedan, which, with the current Yokohamas, is trustworthy (I wouldn't call it sporty), but the 17's are fairly comfortable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I imagine Hybrid gets the sport suspension to soak up the extra battery weight and allow the car to handle better. Putting ~300lbs of L-Ion batteries in the trunk would make it handle differently with the same suspension.

Edmund's comments about the 17" RFTs really has me reconsidering getting 19's with the summer tires. This car has to handle as well as or better than my '04 sedan, which, with the current Yokohamas, is trustworthy (I wouldn't call it sporty), but the 17's are fairly comfortable.
Thanks Afrosheen
I guess I will just have to try this next week when I get a chance to be back in Houton to test drive the different options. Is there a configuration option to select from factory the 19" with summer tires? , or will this be custom job after sale?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Hmmm...forgot that about the hybrid! Good point! Hopefully its something thats blown out of proportion and would actually be fine when you test drive your car! If anything maybe a simple change of tires could help some of the mentioned handling/comfort issues but I wish infiniti just didnt use run flats!:(
With a 9.7 cu. ft. trunk, a change to non-run flats isn't feasible, since there is no room for a spare.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
With a 9.7 cu. ft. trunk, a change to non-run flats isn't feasible, since there is no room for a spare.
Yea i guess that would hold true for the hybrid but what about the ones that does have a spare though?

I wish infiniti had managed that space much better though! I think I saw a vid somewhere that the IS300h seems to have managed their trunk space/battery placement better!

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I drove my premium with the 19's. the ride comfort was still smoother than my wife's G with the 17's. I think this is the perfect compromise, no stiff suspension but better looks and the better performance of the summer tires.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Yea i guess that would hold true for the hybrid but what about the ones that does have a spare though?

I wish infiniti had managed that space much better though! I think I saw a vid somewhere that the IS300h seems to have managed their trunk space/battery placement better!
The IS compromises with rear seat room though. If Infiniti shrunk the back seat there would be room for a spare.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a bigger concern about the seat than the tires and suspension. Edmunds comments on the base seat have me concerned about being able to sit in that seat for a long trip. They were nudging in the direction of the sport seat. I may head in that direction even though I'm not a fan of an overly stiff suspension.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
The sports seat doesn't have extra seat padding and since they didn't have a sports model how can they know anything about it? I know these seats won't be as comfortable as my M seats but they were definitely more comfortable than the G seats.

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Registered
118 Posts
The sports seat doesn't have extra seat padding and since they didn't have a sports model how can they know anything about it?
I realize that they didn't have a sport seat to test, so I have to take their comments with a grain of salt. I vaguely remember Sinecure saying at one point that he thought the sport seats were better. Hope I am not misquoting him. In any event this is one of the areas that I am definitely going to pay close attention to when I check out the Q50 Premium vs. Sport.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.