Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put the non-RFTs on the hybrid, there was an immediate softening(read: more comfortable) of the ride, which I expected. However, it still was harsher than the ride that my G had, and I figured it was because of the sport suspension in the hybrid. Today, I was given a gasser, Q50 as a loaner, while they're doing the update. Even with the RFTs on it, the ride is even softer than that in my hybrid with the non-RFTs. I AM glad that I switched out the tires, but I would have preferred not to have the sport suspension. Oh well - can't have everything.;)

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
When I put the non-RFTs on the hybrid, there was an immediate softening(read: more comfortable) of the ride, which I expected. However, it still was harsher than the ride that my G had, and I figured it was because of the sport suspension in the hybrid. Today, I was given a gasser, Q50 as a loaner, while they're doing the update. Even with the RFTs on it, the ride is even softer than that in my hybrid with the non-RFTs. I AM glad that I switched out the tires, but I would have preferred not to have the sport suspension. Oh well - can't have everything.;)
which tires did you get?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You win some and you lose some...

So since changing the tires to non rft have you got yourself a spare now?
As it's been said, there is no room for a spare. I bought a tire inflator from Sears, which works off of the power outlet, and keep it in the trunk.

which tires did you get?
I had the dealership put my G's tires on the Q. They had only 11,000 miles on them, and I figured they would last at least as long as the RFTs, before I will have to get a new set(they have a wear rating of 560). They're Yokohama Avid Envigor tires, and I've been very happy with them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
As it's been said, there is no room for a spare. I bought a tire inflator from Sears, which works off of the power outlet, and keep it in the trunk.

I had the dealership put my G's tires on the Q. They had only 11,000 miles on them, and I figured they would last at least as long as the RFTs, before I will have to get a new set(they have a wear rating of 560). They're Yokohama Avid Envigor tires, and I've been very happy with them.

Were these tires you picked out? Kind of interested to hear why you like these and how much better they are over others. Trying to find the best bang for your buck tire.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were these tires you picked out? Kind of interested to hear why you like these and how much better they are over others. Trying to find the best bang for your buck tire.
When I needed new tires for the G, I did some research on appropriate tires. There are definitely better rated tires, but they cost a lot more. I got the four tires for a total of about $660(on sale), out the door, and that included balancing and lifetime rotation, every 6,000 miles The Yokohamas are quieter than most, and have good grip on dry and wet roads. Their biggest negative is that they aren't good on snow. On those days, I'll just stay home.:D If I needed new tires now, I'd probably go with the Michelins.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
All you guys switching from RFT to regular tires may need to check that you have jack as Q50 with RFT don't come with lift jack.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
All you guys switching from RFT to regular tires may need to check that you have jack as Q50 with RFT don't come with lift jack.
I got the spare tire package. It includes a full jack set.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
For those that don't have the hybrid(or for those who do, but haven't looked under the floor mat), there is a lug wrench in the hybrid!:D
Yes there's lug wrench and the front tow hook in the trunk but no jack.

It'd be nice if the Q60 had some kind of adaptive suspension system..
yes! Q50 or Q60?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's my thinking exactly. As cool as it looks to have that "S" on the back of your car it is probably not a good idea for every day driving. My plan is to get a non-sport gasser and buy 19" wheel/tire package as those look way better than 17".
Didn't have a choice with the hybrid.:(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Didn't have a choice with the hybrid.:(
Yeah, if the Hybrid could be had with the 19" wheels and larger S front air dam, I'd forgo the larger brakes to get the non-Sport (i.e. softer) suspension setup.

That said, I did do a test drive in a Premium Hybrid with the 17" tires and then right after the Hybrid S in the 19" tires and while the 17 inchers and non-sport suspension was definitely softer, it didn't feel like night and day to me. Don't get me wrong, I liked the softer feel better and preferred the Premium's "not-as-jarring-over-bumps" ride, but it also felt looser and not as connected as the S in overall handling. So there you have it. You can't have one without the other in the Q50. Unless Infiniti went with Simpsontide's suggestion of an adaptive suspension system. That type of system if anything like what the Lincoln MKZ utilizes is very smooth. Of course I just don't know how "sporty" or "dialed-in" that could be. But it would be nice if Infiniti's engineers could figure that out for a future "refresh". :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Drive perspectives

Hi,

New to the forum. I owned a G35X AWD from 2004 till last week with 17" wheels. With 9+ years in the car I felt completely confident with the car at it limits. Last week I bought a Q50S AWD with Navigation but not DAS or other electronics option packages.

Comparing the 2 cars, the Q50S is much quieter and less road vibrations even with the run flat 19" Dunlops on it. The sport suspension is stiffer and I am more at ease taking turns at high speed/driving it at highway speeds. I think the chassis improvement's more than offset the difference between a normal tire and run flats.

Thanks,
Mike

Reactions: avanti5010
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.