Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Q50S Hybrid that I've never had a problem with until recently. I went out to start the car and it was completely dead (no lights, dash, etc.). Immediately I thought "Dead Battery" but it doesn't jump or recognize any sort of power when I attempt to (no flashing headlights, dings, etc.). I do get spark when I connect the negative terminal to the frame so I know the power is there, but still nothing.

Anything else I should check before I tow it in for service?

Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Your going to have to remove the backseats in order to open the trunk and get to the battery. There’s a latch hidden behind the rear seats that you pull to open the trunk in case something like this happens. Start there so you can directly get to the battery and remove it or physically check it’s condition. Another thing is to get a multimeter and see what the voltage is of the battery from under the hood that has those front emergency terminals.

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
908 Posts
If it's the original (first) 12V battery it's likely this. Was the car parked for several days before? Maybe something didn't shut off correctly and sucked the battery empty...

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's the original (first) 12V battery it's likely this. Was the car parked for several days before? Maybe something didn't shut off correctly and sucked the battery empty...
Car was parked for 2 days but even if the battery drained it should still jump or at least show signs of power when connected to charger, right?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Not necessarily – if it's completely down or broken you may not be able to jump start. Especially older batteries could behave like this when empty!

Check your battery first! If it's okay: go further...

Is it the first battery in this car?

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,817 Posts
Car was parked for 2 days but even if the battery drained it should still jump or at least show signs of power when connected to charger, right?
Sometimes a battery will fail physically where the connection between the plates in the battery and one of the terminals separates and you have an open circuit and you can't jump the car.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,865 Posts
If that's the original battery, I'd say after 7 years, it's time to replace it.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies. In the end, the two choices I used for ground were bad. Tow agent came out, tried both of the grounds I did and on a whim tried a third one after which it started right up. I'm assuming just a bad battery at this time. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. In the end, the two choices I used for ground were bad. Tow agent came out, tried both of the grounds I did and on a whim tried a third one after which it started right up. I'm assuming just a bad battery at this time. Thanks again.
A failing or recently failed starter battery will still typically have enough juice to give you (dim) lights and maybe even a partial crank. And should be able to accept a jump start. If your car is dead-dead, that tells me it's a connection or continuity issue. It could be as simple as corrosion between the terminal and post(s).

What happened after your jump start and you turned off the engine and tried to restart?

I know it's not the correct procedure but I always jump start directly to the dead battery's terminal, I don't use the chassis/ground.

·
Registered
908 Posts
What happened after your jump start and you turned off the engine and tried to restart?

I know it's not the correct procedure but I always jump start directly to the dead battery's terminal, I don't use the chassis/ground.
Out of my own experience there is no chance to get to the 12V battery in a Hybrid if it fails completely. You have to open the driver's door by mechanical key, open the hood and connect the car's jump start poles with another battery.

(Btw: A broken or completely empty battery can be totally dead in different cases though...)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Out of my own experience there is no chance to get to the 12V battery in a Hybrid if it fails completely. You have to open the driver's door by mechanical key, open the hood and connect the car's jump start poles with another battery.

(Btw: A broken or completely empty battery can be totally dead in different cases though...)
Yes there is a way to get to the battery as I had posted above how you can. “Your going to have to remove the backseats in order to open the trunk and get to the battery. There’s a latch hidden behind the rear seats that you pull to open the trunk in case something like this happens. Start there so you can directly get to the battery and remove it or physically check it’s condition. Another thing is to get a multimeter and see what the voltage is of the battery from under the hood that has those front emergency terminals.”
I have done this procedure myself and although it’s time consuming, it’s not all that bad.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Thanks, I read that before. As I said: "own experience". In that referred situation I searched for something like that but couldn't find anything...

In my manual I couldn't find any reference to that latch. Would you please share a link or a picture? TIA

·
Registered
2015 Q50S Premium AWD Hybrid
18 Posts
Do you mean this -

·
Registered
908 Posts
Thanks for the link and the included pics. My question is whether this is a regular operation – do I get to the latch easily when battery is down? Is there anything in the manual? (In mine it's not...)

For me it doesn't make any sense to disassemble the whole car to get to the trunk in case of a dying battery.

·
Registered
2015 Q50S Premium AWD Hybrid
18 Posts
That other thread is the only thing I have ever heard or seen about it, nothing in my manual or in the factory service manual. Looks like a lot of work required to get to it, if indeed all Q50 hybrids have it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
That's what I think too – would only make sense if you easily get to that latch...

·
Registered
3,898 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
It happened to my Q50 Hybrid about a year ago and once I charged the 12 V battery- it never happened again.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 S Hybrid AWD fully loaded
40 Posts
Had this issue with my 2014 Q50S Hybrid, I was so excited to get this car in 2013 initially because it was the only car at that time to offer dual screens, drive by wire a 360HP combined hybrid/gas engine and a host of other tech that nowadays is mostly mainstream, even in some entry level vehicles. And now its at the end of its lifecycle and fixing issues is too cost prohibitive; its time to move on. The G35 is still my favorite in the 4 door Infiniti lineup. Infiniti ultimately must have known that the hybrid model was flawed and hence eventually discontinued it as they failed to be able to live up to the quality standards, the braking is horrible, the mileage is nothing special in the real world and in the time that I've had it, not as dependable as I expected. And don't get me started on the run flat tire issue that initially plagued it (yeah swapped them out eventually)! While I can't recommend the Q50 to anyone except maybe someone who is looking for a safe, cool looking car and fresh out of school and has some $$$, I would say its a nice wanna be luxury car. Perhaps in the remake (its long overdue for a body change), they will make it competitive again by getting the quality right and thinking through things like issues posted on this forum. It makes no sense why they didn't put a keylock on the truck for example or why they never went through with the Apps they initially advertised in the InTouch marketing or other things. Nissan itself used to be known for rather solid vehicles but they are no Honda or Toyota for sure as far as long term reliability goes and if you travel to countries outside the USA, you will see that Hondas and Toyotas are the workhorses for taxis for example, showing how reliable (and cheap) they are to maintain!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts