Votes: 2 15.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some thought about Nissan/Infiniti's cost-cutting measures.

For the moment, Nissan/Infiniti builds the Q50 and Q60 in Japan using mostly local Japanese parts.

However, I'm monitoring Nissan/Infiniti's cost-cutting measures and any negative impacts on the Q50 and Q60. If I pay a premium price for an Infiniti Q50, I expect a premium car that's made in Japan.

Firstly, Renault-Nissan (through its alliance with Daimler) will soon be building Infiniti Q30 and Mercedes GLA vehicles in Aguascalientes, Mexico for the North American market.

Secondly, Renault-Nissan will soon be building Mercedes-designed automatic transmissions in Mexico through its Jatco subsidiary.

Thirdly, Renault-Nissan will soon be building Mercedes-designed turbocharged four-cylinder engines in Tennessee. These engines will be used in the upcoming Infiniti Q30 and Mercedes GLA/CLA classes, with possible use in other models.

For me, I'm neutral towards Mercedes-designed engines and transmissions. On one hand, they may be technologically advanced but, on the other hand, there may be problems with the reliability of these key components and affordability of replacement parts.

As for building in cars and transmissions in Mexico, I realize many automakers want to build left-hand-drive cars in Mexico and right-hand-drive-cars in Thailand. The cost of labor is cheaper and Mexico has trade agreements with North America, South America and Europe, while Thailand has agreements with Asia, Australia and New Zealand.

I think it's acceptable for economy brands, such as Nissan, to build cars in Mexico or Thailand as economy brands are about value. However, I'm disappointed when supposedly premium brands, such as Infiniti and Mercedes, build cars in Mexico, save lots of money and still charge hefty prices. They are hurting their brand-image and ripping us off!

I can try to turn a blind eye towards Infiniti building the smaller Q30 in Mexico with a transmission made in Mexico and engine made in Tennessee.

However, if Infiniti starts sneaking Mexican parts into its bread-and-butter Q50 and Q60, I would completely lose faith in the brand and avoid Infiniti altogether.

Infiniti Q30
-made in Mexico but carries premium price - no thanks

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Seriously? :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the difference if it is made in Mexico or Japan? We trust the Mexicans to build our houses, why not car?
As I mentioned, I think it's perfectly fine for Nissan to build Nissan cars, such as the Sentra, in Mexico. I'm just concerned about Infiniti building cars in Mexico, saving lots of money and still charging hefty prices.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In a more extreme example, would you purchase a Porsche that's made in Mexico with a Mexican transmission, for the same lofty price? Probably not. Everyone has a price point at which he/she says no.

For the price of a Nissan, I think it IS acceptable to build a Nissan in Mexico. For the hefty price of an Infiniti, I think it's not acceptable to build an Infiniti in Mexico. And for the lofty price of a Porsche, I think we can agree that it's not acceptable to build a Porsche in Mexico.

When you purchase a premium car, you're paying a premium price for where it's made.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
It's not who assembles the stuff that matters, but how and quality control behind it. Apple assembles all their products in mainland China and charges a premium prices. Their quality has not gone down, and they stand behind their product with exemplary warranty service.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When you purchase a premium car, you're paying a premium price for where it's made.
No, no you're not. The premium has to do with features, technology, quality of materials, performance, and badge.

It doesn't matter if the worker assembling the car was a Mexican or Japanese person. What matters was how the car was designed and excecuted. The design and process determines execution, not nationality of the worker.

Like it or not, every automaker has to adapt to market realities in order to deliver the product that is financially beneficial for them to produce and sell to market.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In a more extreme example, would you purchase a Porsche that's made in Mexico with a Mexican transmission, for the same lofty price? Probably not. Everyone has a price point at which he/she says no.

For the price of a Nissan, I think it IS acceptable to build a Nissan in Mexico. For the hefty price of an Infiniti, I think it's not acceptable to build an Infiniti in Mexico. And for the lofty price of a Porsche, I think we can agree that it's not acceptable to build a Porsche in Mexico.

TrueBlue, How about a Porsche made in US with US labour, or made in Swedend or Australia..would that make a difference in your rationale?, or is it just the Mexican plants that make you uncomfortable?, someone already said correctly, as long as the QC is preserved, then it shouldn't really make a difference where it is built.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry. I had to register to chime in.

This was common post on vwvortex when VW started making Jettas and Golfs in Mexico.

Firstly, a TON of the assembly is done by advanced robots. The robots don't have less quality programming because they are located outside of Japan or Germany.

The "mexican" made VWs were no more and no less prone to problems as the German assembled ones.

Infiniti is chosing to do this because it costs them less to build the vehicle on the continent than to pay the importation taxes and have them floated over on a ship. Not to mention they can supply vehicles faster this way as well.

I've never had much care for Infiniti's brand but I must admit when I see FX45's around town I always check them out pretty intently. Maybe I should go check out a dealer some day.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Will it be OK if we have a nice white guy wipe the whole thing down with a layer of Miracle Whip? That should get all those bad Mexican cooties off. Of course we'll make sure the white guy is properly white - not, like, Jewish or French or anything else where their mother wasn't a DAR member. In fact, we can probably have them use their white robes to wipe the whole thing down.
/sarcasm

Not that you definitely intended to be completely racist, xenophobic and small-minded in your posts. It just came off that way.

If this were the 70's we'd be saying the same of cars made by ******-eyed little chinamen from Japan.

Seriously, if quality suffers, regardless of the origins of the defects, Infiniti will know about it, hear about it from customers, and address this issues the way they always have. If I've learned anything in a year and a half selling these cars, it is that Infiniti genuinely cares about quality and customer satisfaction. And they'll do whatever it takes to keep those two goals in their appropriate, lofty position. It is an international company operating in an international economy with increasingly blurred lines of "origin" or "nationality".

Reactions: Mindflux

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I think truubluu is a Mexiphobe! :eek:
Please don't make assumptions. I never said that I don't like Mexico. I like Mexico. I think it's perfectly fine that economy brands (such as Ford, Nissan, and VW) build cars in Mexico. In fact, my winter car is a Ford Fusion AWD made in Mexico.

I'm just against corporate greed (especially among the premium brands) in using cheaper labor in Mexico to build cars and still charging the same prices for greater profits. I would have the same issues if Infiniti started building cars in Thailand or any other country, for the pure purpose of exploiting cheaper labor.

Also, customers and forum members are allowed to be critical of Infiniti's corporate decisions. I like Infiniti, but I will certainly question its decisions.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Ah! Corporate greed. You don't want infiniti making (too much) money. So instead of Infiniti diverting resources from higher profits in to R&D, you want them to remain on a shoe string budget making cars in japan. That should do wonders for the brand.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
would have the same issues if Infiniti started building cars in Thailand or any other country, for the pure purpose of exploiting cheaper labor.
It is a free market. No one is forcing anyone in Mexico (or US, Japan, etc) to work at a car manufacturing plant. There are plenty of people who would gladly work for what they are getting paid. That is how the free market works!

·
Registered
243 Posts

I've never had much care for Infiniti's brand but I must admit when I see FX45's around town I always check them out pretty intently. Maybe I should go check out a dealer some day.[/QUOTE]

Then why are you on the Infiniti forum, if you "never had much care for the brand"?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think the real issue here should be if Infiniti (or other company) is saving money on the assembly of their cars in Mexico (or anywhere else), are they going to pass the SAVINGS on to the consumer? The short answer is "NO". They will pocket the cash for the executives and stockholders. That's the way of "capitalism". Nothing more than GREED.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.