Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am new to this forum and apologize up front about the long post. I have owned 2 back to back Infinitis for past almost 8 years - first the G35 sedan and currently the G37S coupe. Have had a great experience to date with each vehicle and am a fan of the brand. I am in the process of deciding on my next purchase and am considering staying with Infiniti. I love the coupe, but due to circumstances, need a vehicle with 4 doors. This said, I am a little nervous about purchasing the Q50 given it is a first year model and it's "mixed" reviews to date (based on a variety of sources). My wife would prefer an SUV (again for a variety of reasons). We don't need the QX 60 or 70, this leaving the QX50. This model hasn't changed since 2008, except for a few technological enhancements. The interior/controls are pretty much identical to my G37 coupe and surprisingly, the cargo space is almost smaller than that of the Q50 (with seats folded down). Rear seat legroom is also limited. Needless to say, the QX50 is considerably less expensive and does handle like a sports car given it's 3.7 engine. This said, it is 'dated' and is basically no more than a wagon version of the G37. As mentioned, I am a fan of Infiniti and have had a trouble-free experience for almost 8 years. Overall quality is good and I am comfortable with the brand. Would appreciate any owner feedback on each of the aforementioned models. Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well if I were in your shoes I would go to your local infiniti dealership and test drive the q50, to me personally, I do not regret purchasing my q50s, I absolutely love it. This is my first Infiniti and my first car I purchase. Now the only other car I have driven was my dads e60 m5, but that is a different beast. So im not totally sure how this car performs to others. The only thing I dont like about the q50 is how long Intouch takes to be fully operational, but I could live with it.

Reactions: M992i

·
Registered
982 Posts
Am new to this forum and apologize up front about the long post. I have owned 2 back to back Infinitis for past almost 8 years - first the G35 sedan and currently the G37S coupe. Have had a great experience to date with each vehicle and am a fan of the brand. I am in the process of deciding on my next purchase and am considering staying with Infiniti. I love the coupe, but due to circumstances, need a vehicle with 4 doors. This said, I am a little nervous about purchasing the Q50 given it is a first year model and it's "mixed" reviews to date (based on a variety of sources). My wife would prefer an SUV (again for a variety of reasons). We don't need the QX 60 or 70, this leaving the QX50. This model hasn't changed since 2008, except for a few technological enhancements. The interior/controls are pretty much identical to my G37 coupe and surprisingly, the cargo space is almost smaller than that of the Q50 (with seats folded down). Rear seat legroom is also limited. Needless to say, the QX50 is considerably less expensive and does handle like a sports car given it's 3.7 engine. This said, it is 'dated' and is basically no more than a wagon version of the G37. As mentioned, I am a fan of Infiniti and have had a trouble-free experience for almost 8 years. Overall quality is good and I am comfortable with the brand. Would appreciate any owner feedback on each of the aforementioned models. Thanks!
Lease a Nissan Armada. That thing is pimp.
When that is up in 24 months, you'll have plenty of options. And a lot of new models will have gone through the beta testing phase.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If your unsure you can try a 2 year lease on a Q50.
Since you have an infiniti they will give you $2500 in lease cash.
Haggle them down to invoice price.
You should get a decent deal on a lease.

My understanding from the threads is new cars are being built with the new fixed DAS steering module.
If you wait a little bit while the older inventory sells out and they get the build dates from 2014, your probably fine on that issue.

Still no ETA on the Intouch software update which is the other major complaint around here.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I got a loaner QX50 last time i took my Q in, I personally dont feel the interior is up to par with the price they are charging for the car, and like you already stated the car is outdated, and hasnt received much styling update, as for the "sports car feel" the car didnt handle very well, there was lots of body roll and just didnt have the feel of something you'd want to drive fast. The base Q50 is actually a couple hundred cheaper then the QX50 in canada, which leaves no reason to go for the QX50 as it doesnt provide much more cargo room and practicality, and certainly not performance.

Test drive them both, when you get a chance to drive the Q50 and the QX50 back to back like i did, you really notice the difference between the two cars, and if your wife is looking for an SUV, i wouldnt really call a QX50 that either, more of a cross over, and i'd think a Q50 would be able to do whatever a QX50 could in the show, as the QX doesnt have much more ground clearance, however it is a higher seating height if being higher up from the road is one the things shes looking for.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Lease a Nissan Armada. That thing is pimp.
When that is up in 24 months, you'll have plenty of options. And a lot of new models will have gone through the beta testing phase.
I doubt he wants something as ungainly as an Armada. He also wants something reliable, and the Armada is the worst of Nissan's models as far as reliability is concerned. He also probably wouldn't like driving a vehicle that will give him less than 15 mpg in city driving.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Well, the QX50 isn't an SUV. There's quite a big distinction between SUVs and crossovers.

You SAY you don't need a QX60, but are you sure you don't want to look at the QX60?

I had one as a loaner and for a large crossover, it's pretty nimble and quick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for your replies. I will be test-driving both vehicles this weekend and maybe even the QX 60. Definite advantages/disadvantages in each case. Truth be told, I am not a huge fan of the 'look' of Infiniti Crossovers/SUVs, but as a multiple repeat Infiniti client I also know that I can get a pretty decent deal, something that I have to take into account (am purchasing/not leasing). Will put together an objective 'pros' and 'cons' comparison list - in my experience, one side usually ends up outweighing the other. Will figure it out. Thanks again for your input...much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I for sure dont like the QX50/60's look, but i always thought the QX70/80 were executed pretty well, of course probably neither are practical for your use, but theyre great looking cars :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had a Q50 for a month. Unlike some of the reviews, I think it is an outstanding improvement over my G37 sedan. The interior is just a bit larger - making it a much more comfortable car. The interior also seems quite a bit more upscale. I've not had any issues with the car - the electronic systems are slow to start - but I knew that when I purchased it - not really a big deal. I wanted as much trunk space as possible - so I sought out a car w/o a spare (I may regret that one day). Having said that - if I wanted an SUV/Crossover and the QX60 was too big - I'd take a look at the Acura RDX. Happy car shopping!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear that you like your new Q50. Congrats on your purchase. Apparently, there is an additional 'new' mid-month incentive program that my Infiniti dealership is offering (not sure if only specific to them or across the board). After test-driving a couple of vehicles tomorrow, should be in a better position to make a final decision. I could now go on staff at Infiniti given the amount of research I've done :) It's now time to decide one way or another!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.