Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I’m looking to get some feedback from those who own a 2018+ Q50 RS400. I currently try a 2015 Audi S3 with GIAC ECU and TCU tune. It has been a great car but I’m in need of a little more space and cars normally make it 2 years with me. I’m looking for something with a little larger trunk (2 sets of golf clubs at least lol). The car needs to have a luxury feel, preferably a bit or a lot quicker than my current car that makes about 370hp at the crank.

How quick do these cars feel feel stock? I’d be considering an EcuTek tune, LDP, HE, Expansion Tank and call it a day. Are these cars reliable?

I’m also considering but Q50 is top ofmy list currently:

Dodge Charger Scat Pack (Daytona)
Dodge Charger Hellcat (not likely but would love)
Audi S4/5(Sportback)
BMW 340i
Cadillac ATS V (not likely)
BMW M3 15/16

Let me know thoughts on above in comparison.

One big concern is the infotainment system, the belt issue, and turbo leaking.

Thanks for any insight! I appreciate the help and honesty.
Cory

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,370 Posts
Ok, I own a 2017 Q60 Red Sport, but I've adopted this forum since it is way more active than the infinitiq60.org site.

That said, I've owned quite a few Audi's, and apart from lack of Apple Carplay and no retained power, I can't complain about the Q50/Q60 platform (2020s finally got Apple Carplay). I leased my 2017 since December 2016, and recently purchased it because it has been so much fun to mod and drive.

I am still on my original serpentine belt (w/24k miles), and it's never been re-aligned. Note: I have a replacement Gates belt on the shelf that I'll change-out as a preventative maintenance item @ 30k miles. The turbos on my '17 VR30DDTT are the original Garrett P/Ns w/EGT sensors, and are still behaving themselves, despite being exposed to JB4 boost levels of 18 psi and then Ecutek boost levels of 1.3 bar (~19 psi). And I still haven't totally bought into installing BOVs to save my turbos - otherwise, the sky will fall <sarcasm>.

Are these cars reliable? My only warranty items have been window seals leaving smudges on both driver's and passenger's windows. Likely a coupe issue only. Otherwise, just normal 5k mile oil & filter changes, tire rotations, and lots o' mods ;)

As for finding a Q50, I just so happened to stumble onto the Vroom website - they have a 2019 Q50 Red Sport with low mileage for a nice price:

Used 2019 INFINITI Q50 For Sale ($34,430) | Vroom

Good luck in your hunt!

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
I have a 2018 RS. Haven't driven a S3 so I don't have a feel how the interior space compares. I don't play golf but 2+ sets of clubs may require dropping one or both of the rear seats down to make room.

The stock RS is a bit faster than the stock S3 with a 0-60 ET of 4.5 sec vs 4.7 sec. Same with the 1/4 mile, 13.0 sec vs 13.4 sec.

I'd recommend a replacement CBE in addition to the LDPs as the stock exhaust is restrictive. A CBE, LDPs, and EcuTek tune (19 PSI, 93 octane) will put you around 440 WHP and about 500 lb-ft of WTQ. It will feel faster than your S3 I'll bet.

I've had no turbo or belt issues. I did have the passenger seat airbag control module replaced under warranty. Other than that, routine maintenance.

Keep up posted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2018 RS. Haven't driven a S3 so I don't have a feel how the interior space compares. I don't play golf but 2+ sets of clubs may require dropping one or both of the rear seats down to make room.

The stock RS is a bit faster than the stock S3 with a 0-60 ET of 4.5 sec vs 4.7 sec. Same with the 1/4 mile, 13.0 sec vs 13.4 sec.

I'd recommend a replacement CBE in addition to the LDPs as the stock exhaust is restrictive. A CBE, LDPs, and EcuTek tune (19 PSI, 93 octane) will put you around 440 WHP and about 500 lb-ft of WTQ. It will feel faster than your S3 I'll bet.

I've had no turbo or belt issues. I did have the passenger seat airbag control module replaced under warranty. Other than that, routine maintenance.

Keep up posted.
Thanks for all of the information! All good stuff to know. A buddy of mine has a Q50 Premium and he says that two sets fit easy. The s3 is probably a high 3 sec to 4 sec flat 0-60 as the launch control with the tune is incredible. That being said I bet it only traps 108-110 mph.

I love the look of the 18+ RS. The subtle changes are nice. The car can be made to trap 115+ fairly easily especially at sea level which I’m at currently.

Good to hear no issues. I’m not sure I’d want the after market BOV as it would get annoying. I would probably leave the stock CB alone unless I found one extremely quiet as non V8 cars with exhaust aren’t my favorite sounding things.Every video I’ve seen said the LDP doesn’t change the sound much at all.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I own a 2017 Q60 Red Sport, but I've adopted this forum since it is way more active than the infinitiq60.org site.

That said, I've owned quite a few Audi's, and apart from lack of Apple Carplay and no retained power, I can't complain about the Q50/Q60 platform (2020s finally got Apple Carplay). I leased my 2017 since December 2016, and recently purchased it because it has been so much fun to mod and drive.

I am still on my original serpentine belt (w/24k miles), and it's never been re-aligned. Note: I have a replacement Gates belt on the shelf that I'll change-out as a preventative maintenance item @ 30k miles. The turbos on my '17 VR30DDTT are the original Garrett P/Ns w/EGT sensors, and are still behaving themselves, despite being exposed to JB4 boost levels of 18 psi and then Ecutek boost levels of 1.3 bar (~19 psi). And I still haven't totally bought into installing BOVs to save my turbos - otherwise, the sky will fall <sarcasm>.

Are these cars reliable? My only warranty items have been window seals leaving smudges on both driver's and passenger's windows. Likely a coupe issue only. Otherwise, just normal 5k mile oil & filter changes, tire rotations, and lots o' mods ;)

As for finding a Q50, I just so happened to stumble onto the Vroom website - they have a 2019 Q50 Red Sport with low mileage for a nice price:

Used 2019 INFINITI Q50 For Sale ($34,430) | Vroom

Good luck in your hunt!
Thanks for the reply. It’s great to hear another success story regarding the Q50 platform. It’s my favorite looking of the ones on my list. I’d actually get the charger but there is no feel of luxury in that car and I see them everywhere. I rarely see Q50 RS (tons of Q50). I’ve found quite a few on Autotrader and Car Gurus. The cars depreciation helps those buying used compared to some other brands. Once the current pandemic chills out I plan to start looking hard. Is there a preference on LDP brand? I head CAI isn’t worth a lot for power that good filters work well. Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Forget the CIA. Do the downpipes. JB4 if you want to keep a warranty, Ecutek if you dont care. They've had turbo failures that most are replacing under warranty and a serpentine/AC compressor alignment issue that are also fixed under warranty. Go AWD over the RWD. Out of the list you posted, for stoplight to stoplight on street tires, the only ones that are going to keep up with an AWD modded Q50/60 is a modded M3 or the modded ATS-V.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
... the only ones that are going to keep up with an AWD modded Q50/60 is a modded M3 or the modded ATS-V.
From some driving experience in Mexico, a modded Q60 AWD can match a ZL1 Camaro from a roll @ sixT to about a buck 40. :eek:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
From some driving experience in Mexico, a modded Q60 AWD can match a ZL1 Camaro from a roll @ sixT to about a buck 40. :eek:
Which ZL1, a 5th gen? bone stock?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Which ZL1, a 5th gen? bone stock?
Well, it looked to be a 2017, had the quad exhaust tips, so I'm assuming bone stock.

Although I swear I saw the badge in the back, It could have also been an SS, too. F**king Chevy can't differentiate enough between trim packages these days:

Either that or was just poor driver, because that never happens...

It was still a fun match-up...

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
LOL aero isn't going to do anything until north of 100mph min so my money is on driver. My modded Q50 was door to door from a 40 roll with my NA cammed LS6 4th gen Camaro that was making at most 420whp, granted the 4th gen is lighter, but the 6th Gen ZL1 would put down over 100whp more than me. You see the news from GM? No more manual transmission in the Camaro :(

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
No more manual transmission in the Camaro :(
Yup, that news is just as bad as when Porsche told the 911 guys that they were going PDK only. My last manual was a 2008 Audi RS4 Cabriolet w/6-spd manual (a real unicorn - only 187 imported to the US in '08). It sucked off the line, because the 4.2L V8 only had 318 ft-lb peak torque, but it had a 8200-rpm redline, which made it fun to row through the gears and hear the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
... but the 6th Gen ZL1 would put down over 100whp more than me.
I corrected my post - it could have been an SS (vs ZL1). The quad tips and spoiler might have fooled me.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yup, that news is just as bad as when Porsche told the 911 guys that they were going PDK only. My last manual was a 2008 Audi RS4 Cabriolet w/6-spd manual (a real unicorn - only 187 imported to the US in '08). It sucked off the line, because the 4.2L V8 only had 318 ft-lb peak torque, but it had a 8200-rpm redline, which made it fun to row through the gears and hear the exhaust.
Yeah I remember that. I know the PDK is badass, but still.....manuals obviously aren't faster anymore....but thats not why people by them.
I corrected my post - it could have been an SS (vs ZL1). The quad tips and spoiler might have fooled me.
THAT would make much more sense, very believable.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Thanks for all of the information! All good stuff to know. A buddy of mine has a Q50 Premium and he says that two sets fit easy. The s3 is probably a high 3 sec to 4 sec flat 0-60 as the launch control with the tune is incredible. That being said I bet it only traps 108-110 mph.

I love the look of the 18+ RS. The subtle changes are nice. The car can be made to trap 115+ fairly easily especially at sea level which I’m at currently.

Good to hear no issues. I’m not sure I’d want the after market BOV as it would get annoying. I would probably leave the stock CB alone unless I found one extremely quiet as non V8 cars with exhaust aren’t my favorite sounding things.Every video I’ve seen said the LDP doesn’t change the sound much at all.

Thanks again.
You said at least 2 sets of golf clubs!

If you're looking for quiet yet want the power improvement of a low-restriction exhaust, I would recommend the FI CBE with the X-pipe resonators option and the 14" touring muffler option. Just about any performance exhaust will be louder than the stock exhaust but the FI isn't much louder than stock compared to other CBEs.

Adding LDPs will most certainly change the sound, especially if the rest of the exhaust is changed out. I put the HKS resonated LDPs on after I installed the FI CBE and while they certainly made additional power, there was also a slight increase in sound level but that was mainly when you get on the throttle.

No launch control for the Q50 though. Still, I think a 0-60 ET in the same range as your S3 is achievable with a CBE, LDPs, AWD and EcuTek on a Q50.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You said at least 2 sets of golf clubs!

If you're looking for quiet yet want the power improvement of a low-restriction exhaust, I would recommend the FI CBE with the X-pipe resonators option and the 14" touring muffler option. Just about any performance exhaust will be louder than the stock exhaust but the FI isn't much louder than stock compared to other CBEs.

Adding LDPs will most certainly change the sound, especially if the rest of the exhaust is changed out. I put the HKS resonated LDPs on after I installed the FI CBE and while they certainly made additional power, there was also a slight increase in sound level but that was mainly when you get on the throttle.

No launch control for the Q50 though. Still, I think a 0-60 ET in the same range as your S3 is achievable with a CBE, LDPs, AWD and EcuTek on a Q50.
Thanks for your reply. I can only fit one set of clubs in my trunk now lol.
I will look at some exhaust clips on YouTube.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forget the CIA. Do the downpipes. JB4 if you want to keep a warranty, Ecutek if you dont care. They've had turbo failures that most are replacing under warranty and a serpentine/AC compressor alignment issue that are also fixed under warranty. Go AWD over the RWD. Out of the list you posted, for stoplight to stoplight on street tires, the only ones that are going to keep up with an AWD modded Q50/60 is a modded M3 or the modded ATS-V.
Thanks! I much prefer the staggered wheel size in the RWD. Are there options to buy the wider wheels for the rear? I’m not sure I’ll be doing many dig races, mostly spirited pulls.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Thanks! I much prefer the staggered wheel size in the RWD. Are there options to buy the wider wheels for the rear? I’m not sure I’ll be doing many dig races, mostly spirited pulls.
You can have staggered wheels on an AWD as long as the tire height front to back matches.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts