Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This should get stickied so everyone doesn't make their own thread Everytime this happens. It seems like enough people have had their turbos replaced that it would be useful to have a full list and see if there are any trends. When posting include:
Year
Miles when replaced
One or both turbos
Mods
Boost
____
q50adix
Year - 2016
Miles when replaced - 35k but it's been leaking since several thousand miles ago
One or both turbos - One...updated to both
Mods - HX
Boost - Stock
Symptoms-
  • I noticed the oil since the first time I changed the air intake filters but disregarded it (I thought it was due to blow-by oil on the right side)
  • Over 25k miles later, time to replace the air intake filters again and I saw significant oil pooling on the same spot on the air duct
  • Tech confirmed it's from the turbo as there was no blow-by oil he found on that side
_
Helterstupid
2017 RS 400
Turbo replaced @ 15000 miles
symptoms: running very rich, power loss, poor gas mileage
bone stock
__
MapleDom
44k miles, LDP, JB1 @+3.
17 RS.
__
JakefromLI
13k miles, full downpipes, ???
2018 Platinum Graphite Q60 AWD
___
Q50-Joaquin
Around 49k
Both turbos
Stock no mods
____
TJQ50
16 Q50
Both turbos replaced at 55k miles
Had rattle noise on start up. No other symptoms... Diagnosed as bad waste gates.
__
[email protected]
17 Q50
Both turbos at 38490 miles
Other warranty work being performed (fuel injectors) and tech noticed oil in both turbos.
__
5oh_mo
17' RS
Both turbos replaced at 48K miles
Bad wastegates that I diagnosed when chasing down an exhaust rattle, replaced with R/T turbos. no issues since.
___
Emantresni
2017 Premium
57,000 Miles
Bone Stock
(Believe it's one turbo, but I plan to call tomorrow to push for them both as I'm not exactly excited about replacing the second on my on dime should it fail)

Metallic grinding, clicking/ticking noise above 2,000RPM noticed on cold start up while the car was getting to temp.
____
Yifei
2016 3.0T premium
1. I heard weird sound from my driving belt.
2. I checked the coolant level is low.
3. Another symptom is the MPG is so low at around 12.7 MPG.
So I sent to dealership. They replaced both of turbos and oxygen sensors. I looked at the invoice they provided me. The total cost for parts is 4700$ without labor. I'm so glad my car is still within warranty. I do not need to pay for any.
--------------------
Bapmax
24000 miles on odometer.
18lbs boost to hear whistle but no whistle at stock levels. Rattle at start up was the key.
Both turbos replaced.
Covered under warranty.
__
Nleiner
2016 Q50 Silver Sport
40,500 miles
Only modification is a muffler delete.
Both turbos replaced.
Squealing and increased turbo sounds
-------------------
Nickdaria
Year: 2016
Miles: 29500
Both Turbos
Mods: Just a high output alternator for the subs. Nothing serious.

Process was really easy. Brought car in for a separate warranty repair (front windows were slow) and mentioned the wastegate made a loud noise. He said they listened to it and agreed it was louder than usual so they are replacing it for free.
-------------------------
Q60Khan
2017 q60
55k miles
Both turbos
Mods:
Muffler delete and LDPS all bolt ons no cuts or welds.
Services only done at the dealership tho.
--------------------
GTA-RS400
Year: 2017
Miles when replaced: approx 27 000 miles / 44 000 km
One or both turbos: both
Mods: none - bone stock
Boost: whatever factory settings are

I've recently been hearing a barely-audible squeal between 2500 and 3000 rpm. Only starting hearing it as the weather started improving and having windows down frequently.
_
Frodawg78
Year: 2017 Q50 3.0T AWD
Miles when replaced: 36700 miles
Mods - None
Boost - Stock

Stopped by dealership thinking I had belt issue with squealing noise. Turns out both turbos are on their way out.
Both turbos will be replaced under warranty. Waiting on turbo order from dealership, should be about 2 weeks.
---------------
Tony Turbo
Year: 2018 Q50 3.0T
Miles when replaced: 16000 miles
Mods - Catback
Boost - Stock
I noticed a rattle on cold start and took it in to the dealer. It was confirmed to be wastegate rattle, and they are replacing both turbos.
----------------
Chadwide
16k miles
Both turbos replaced and then replaced again later on.
Stock, no mods.
------------------
Olivier-R
2017 Infiniti Q50 Sport, Whistling noise at 13K miles. Both turbo replaced.
--------------
Q50luvr
2018 Q50S, both turbos replaced under warranty at 20,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,842 Posts
Maybe state if in or out of warranty. State if the warranty claim was easy to make. How long was the downtime?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
A good addition to the forums for tracking this information.

Reactions: BlueZ

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Let me go first. @damonb10 it was finally replaced.

Year - 2016
Miles when replaced - 35k but it's been leaking since several thousand miles ago
One or both turbos - One
Mods - HX
Boost - Stock

Couple of notes:
- I noticed the oil since the first time I changed the air intake filters but disregarded it (I thought it was due to blow-by oil on the right side)
- Over 25k miles later, time to replace the air intake filters again and I saw significant oil pooling on the same spot on the air duct
- Tech confirmed it's from the turbo as there was no blow-by oil he found on that side
- There are 3 different part numbers of the VR30/HI output turbos since 2016 (superseded twice). New ones are 14411-5CA0C and 14411-5CA2C.
- Nissan did not disclose/publish any information on what else has changed aside from the temp sensor that was removed. Maybe too trivial to mention.
- The only symptom I had was significant turbo lag that only started ~2k miles ago.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Let me go first. @damonb10 it was finally replaced.

Year - 2016
One or both turbos - One
Mods - HX
Boost - Stock

Couple of notes:
- I noticed the oil since the first time I changed the air intake filters but disregarded it (I thought it was due to blow-by oil on the right side)
- Over 25k miles later, time to replace the air intake filters again and I saw significant oil pooling on the same spot on the air duct
- Tech confirmed it's from the turbo as there was no blow-by oil he found on that side
- There are 3 different part numbers of the VR30/HI output turbos since 2016 (superseded twice). New ones are 14411-5CA0C and 14411-5CA2C.
- Nissan did not disclose/publish any information on what else has changed aside from the temp sensor that was removed. Maybe too trivial to mention.
- The only symptom I had was significant turbo lag that only started ~2k miles ago.
Good info @q50adix. Where in the air duct were seeing the oil pooling? I'd like to look closer at mine to see if I see anything similar.

I thought you had also had a noise symptom. My engine has been making a whistle when heavier boost kicks in around 3k rpm. The whistle started at around 20k miles and I'm up to 26k now. I'm not getting any lag and didn't know you were experiencing that with your engine.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Good info @q50adix . Where in the air duct were seeing the oil pooling? I'd like to look closer at mine to see if I see anything similar.

I thought you had also had a noise symptom. My engine has been making a whistle when heavier boost kicks in around 3k rpm. The whistle started at around 20k miles and I'm up to 26k now. I'm not getting any lag and didn't know you were experiencing that with your engine.

It was in the right side air duct, approximately at the middle of the corrugated part.

Before the turbo was replaced, I still heard the whistling noise although a little faint. I have not done any hard pull yet since I picked up the car but most likely this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
q50adix...very interesting that the boost was stock and it still went. Thanks for sharing. I would have expected it from a car with LDP or full downpipe and added boost. Never from stock boost levels.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
q50adix...very interesting that the boost was stock and it still went. Thanks for sharing. I would have expected it from a car with LDP or full downpipe and added boost. Never from stock boost levels.

Np! I posted in another thread about a friend of mine who had his turbo replaced recently (both sides) which was also due to oil leak, though his was more excessive than mine and he had check engine light on. His car is a Q60 (300hp) bone stock.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks for starting this @OP. Good to keep the info centralized and easy to reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Are there any symptoms I should be looking out for?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Everybody is so quick to make their own thread when they had a noise or failure....where is everybody now???
Well grand total we've only had like 4 or 5 turbo failures in the forums a few of them were 1-2 years ago so not surprised we only have 1-2 people reporting in.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
Did you include Maxlegends?? ??

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
4,732 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well grand total we've only had like 4 or 5 turbo failures in the forums a few of them were 1-2 years ago so not surprised we only have 1-2 people reporting in.
I feel like there's been a handful lately like MapleDom and that other guy.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
See those two are the only ones that really come to mind, last person who reported issues were about a year ago.
It may be worth it to do some searching in the forums and see if we can pull up their threads.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See those two are the only ones that really come to mind, last person who reported issues were about a year ago.
It may be worth it to do some searching in the forums and see if we can pull up their threads.
I'm definitely being lazy by not searching....but I haven't had any turbo's fail so I don't feel the need to dig.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
OP, if you don't mind, keep the first post updated with username, mileage, modded or not, etc.

As always, the thread will be derailed. You can, however, control the first post with basic information and hyperlinks.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,599 Posts
ever since that day that I had that rough sound, it hasn't happened again I do feel that the car is not performing I have 46k miles, LDP, and the JB1 at +3. When I had the dyno done, if you recall, 306-305-360 whp.I thought it was the JB1. I have no oil leaks, or consumption.

1 - 20 of 406 Posts