Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

261 - 280 of 303 Posts

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
I'll be damned if I'm going to make a 5-hour round trip to the Infiniti dealership to get a new dip stick. I'm assuming these will be provided free of charge? I wonder if they would mail it to me?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'll be damned if I'm going to make a 5-hour round trip to the Infiniti dealership to get a new dip stick. I'm assuming these will be provided free of charge? I wonder if they would mail it to me?
FOC would be nice, but since its not a recall or safety item, you'll need to look for some loose change to buy one.

I picked one up on Fleabay for $16 (+ free shipping) this morning:

2019-2020 OEM Infiniti Q50- Q60 Engine Oil Dipstick 11140-5ca0b | eBay

I checked an online Infiniti dealership, and the "old" dipstick is discontinued for the VR30.

Note: With my '17 Q60S AWD, it started out with 5 3/4 qts. Since I started using the larger OEM oil filter, it now takes 6 qts. to hit "full" on the old dipstick. Now it will take 6 1/2 qts. with the new dipstick.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
FOC would be nice, but since its not a recall or safety item, you'll need to look for some loose change to buy one.

I picked one up on Fleabay for $16 (+ free shipping) this morning:

2019-2020 OEM Infiniti Q50- Q60 Engine Oil Dipstick 11140-5ca0b | eBay

I checked an online Infiniti dealership, and the "old" dipstick is discontinued for the VR30.

Note: With my '17 Q60S AWD, it started out with 5 3/4 qts. Since I started using the larger OEM oil filter, it now takes 6 qts. to hit "full" on the old dipstick. Now it will take 6 1/2 qts. with the new dipstick.
Guess I'll do the same. Crap, you got the last one.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I just read through all of the posts in this thread... Wow! A lot of turbo issues from different years and mileages.

I’d like to chime in with my experiences with the OEM turbos for my VR30. My 2017 RS is currently at 76k miles. I’ve never had the OEM turbos replaced. But, at 65k miles, 5k miles before my powertrain warranty ended, my dealer attempted to fix a “minor” oil leak. They replaced the following parts:

View attachment 92891

But, at 70.5k miles, 5.5k miles later, when I took my car in for service, they stated that my car was still leaking oil elsewhere and that the previous 65k mile repair was still under warranty and is essentially the “same” problem, so the oil leak elsewhere would be repaired free of charge. They said that my car wasn’t in any immediate danger if I were to keep driving it around, so they ordered the parts and scheduled me for service in the future after the parts arrive. I was at 71.3k miles, 800 miles later, when the parts arrived, so I took my car in for my dealership to repair the oil leak. They replaced the following parts:
Interesting. My dealer replaced both turbos (not on single service though) and never seen a line item about the oil or filter change. But I can tell refilled it with new oil.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Good info. I literally just changed my oil/filter yesterday. Based on the listed amendment document, it looks like I should just dump in the full 6 quarts instead of the 5-3/4? That would make it an even 6 quarts which keeps it simple.

I assume I could reach out to my dealership to get the replacement dipstick as well.

View attachment 92905

I think I'll just go with the even 6qts for my AWD Q50. That would put me 1/4 qt low from the new standard, but 1/4 qt above the original requirement. I do have a bit extra oil I could top it off higher I suppose....

Thoughts for an AWD?

·
Registered
2004 G35, 2019 Nissan NV200
46 Posts
May i ask where this seal is located exactly, and would an aftermarket bigger turbo remove this weak point?
I contacted pure turbo. They didn't give me much but they confirmed that their turbo seals are replaced and upgraded when you send it in

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
This is good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
He indicated to me that his car threw a bunch of DTCs under throttle that indicated #3 injector was stuck open and he had low fuel rail pressure as a result. The service department found all the injectors were leaking to some extent and replaced all the injectors, fuel rails and fuel tube assembly under warranty.

He said he has been burning E20-E30 for over a year but has stopped doing so because of this.
Ditto and Amen. Imagine getting on to the highway (3/4 throttle) and the car starts blowing white clouds of something out both tailpipes. The car throws a CEL and your JB4 logs show multiple misfires and low fuel pressure. Car goes into limp mode and you are on a 70mph tollway. You turn on your flashers and in limp mode drive @ 4-5 miles at @ 25mph - clouds of white “fog” billowing out the back - and your car smells like a can of gasoline was spilled in the backseat. You get to the dealership and manage to just barely get into the service drive. In that 4-5 miles, you dropped over 1/3 on your fuel gauge and are now out of gas.

My car is well known at the dealership and multiple Service Advisors and porters come over to a car still venting white vapor from the tailpipes. The whole service bay is stinking of gas fumes to high heaven.

We all know the VR30 Is an amazing, but a new engine. It is reasonable some growing pains are to be expected. Some of us have pushed the platform harder than others. While others have had issues completely stock - be it stuck injectors, leaking/squeaking turbos, etc.

The list of FBOs my VR30 has is in my signature. In there you see an AMS Flex Fuel Kit. My belief that the VR30 / Q50 was designed as a “world car” convinced me that fuel blends with high ETHO levels would be just fine.

Over time we have read a growing number of people who run high E-content fuel having fuel injector issues. Perhaps there is a correlation, maybe not, but my plans have changed and E-10 pump 93 is all I will be using going forward.

Take this all with a grain of salt but 2 stuck injectors, 4 other leaking, and nearly hydro locking my car have changed my views of how reliable these stock injectors are.
I had to LOL with this one! My service advisor just called me saying I was leaking fuel out of the left exhaust and it smelled like hella gas. No **** LOL. "The whole service bay is stinking of gas fumes to high heaven." LOL I know that's what going on right now LOL. Anyways cylinder 1 was misfiring and had DTC for low fuel pressure. Also, bank 1 O2 sensor (probably cause of the misfires and air/fuel ratio). Anyways, I'm sure it's one injector is stuck open and others may be leaking. I'm still LOL.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Anyways, I'm sure it's one injector is stuck open and others may be leaking. I'm still LOL.
Curious... what fuel have you been using?

I only ask because I've seen reports of VR30 injectors stuck open, but primarily from using Ethanol blends (> 10%).

·
Registered
696 Posts
Was out with some Q friends on Sat night and one of them blew injector 6, smoking like crazy. Dealership told him today that a spark plug came in contact with the ignition ___ (he forgot what the said exactly) and that he will likely need a new engine and turbos.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
Was out with some Q friends on Sat night and one of them blew injector 6, smoking like crazy. Dealership told him today that a spark plug came in contact with the ignition ___ (he forgot what the said exactly) and that he will likely need a new engine and turbos.
Fuel he was using?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
...Dealership told him today that a spark plug came in contact with the ignition ___ (he forgot what the said exactly) and that he will likely need a new engine and turbos.
LOL WHAT?!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Curious... what fuel have you been using?

I only ask because I've seen reports of VR30 injectors stuck open, but primarily from using Ethanol blends (> 10%).
I only been using 93. Was planning on go E85 when my car gets fixed but doubting it now. Gonna probably stick with upgraded turbos on 93.

·
Registered
696 Posts
LOL WHAT?!
Here's what he said on messenger, English isn't his first language so, bear with me

I guess I’m screw they said my spark plug something impact it bend and touching the ignition thing and there are knocking in the engine so they gonna call an Infiniti tech to come out cause I need to replace the engine or something.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Here's what he said on messenger, English isn't his first language so, bear with me

I guess I’m screw they said my spark plug something impact it bend and touching the ignition thing and there are knocking in the engine so they gonna call an Infiniti tech to come out cause I need to replace the engine or something.
That sounds like it detonated itself to death and something in the chamber hit and damaged the spark plug ground strap.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I only been using 93. Was planning on go E85 when my car gets fixed but doubting it now. Gonna probably stick with upgraded turbos on 93.
Good plan. Without ALL the boxes checked (i.e., Nostrum injectors (release date TBD), AMS LPFP, AMS HPFP, and AMS Flex-fuel kit), running E85 (or ethanol blends) in the VR30 is a risky endeavor. Multiple E85 users have experienced stuck OEM fuel injectors.

It's disappointing that owners running pump gas might also be experiencing injectors failures, too.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Guess I'll do the same. Crap, you got the last one.
Well, the "last one" was delivered today.

Ahhh, never good when the packaging has a slit at the bottom of the plastic sleeving:

And now for the big reveal:

Hint: The original dipstick from my Q is the bottom one.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
261 - 280 of 303 Posts