Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

361 - 380 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys, I just made an account to tell you about my experience. As far as I can tell I'm the only person to have turbos replaced under warranty twice! In fact the first time Infiniti replaced the whole motor.

I bought a 2016 CPO car in 2017 with 16K miles. The turbo's always whistled, but I didn't think anything of it as I've had other turbo'd cars with similar sounds run fine to 150K miles. I changed the oil for good measure at about 18K with the factory 0w20 at the dealer. At 28K miles (actually about 9600 miles on the oil) I had a sudden power loss and a grinding from the motor. Diagnosis was turbo oil seal failure burning all of the engine oil. Engine running starved for oil damaged the main crank shaft bearing. Apparently the low oil level light comes on after the motor is trashed.

Because I had done the previous oil change at the dealer and had less than 10K on the oil Infiniti took care of everything. An entire new crate motor was installed. The bill would have been $28K!!!!

In Spring of 2020 I had about 69K miles on the car, around 40K on the new motor/turbos (I have the 6 year unlimited mileage warranty). Turbo were whistling again and had been for a few thousand miles. Dealer replaced them both with the updated model turbo, and mentioned that the previous motor replacement included the original turbo design. They say the new ones should have the reliability issue corrected.

I now have a chassis with 72K miles, a motor with 44K miles, and turbos with about 3K miles. Bone stock the whole time.

Infiniti has been great to deal with, but anyone considering one of these cars used should be sure the newer turbo design has been installed, and should probably wait until the reliability to the new 2019 turbo design is proven.

Chadwide

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,849 Posts
I've got to stop driving with music playing and listen more to my engine.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
@Chadwide - Good to hear they took care of you sir, shame they didn't have the revised turbo design in time for the first engine replacement.
You happen to have one of the higher mileage Q50's with the VR30 on the market,I'd be interested to hear how it's been for you over it's lifespan
in a separate thread.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,849 Posts
A +50K miles or an off-warranty thread for members to discuss problems would be worthwhile I think.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 RWD Premium
324 Posts
Update - What is this, 3rd or 4th?

Both factory OEM Gen 1 turbos replaced less than 10 months ago (leaking oil) with Gen 2 turbos. [Engine Drop #1]
Driver side OEM Gen 2 turbo squealing at 3k+ rpm - replaced with another Gen 2 turbo. [Engine Drop #2]
Passenger side OEM Gen 2 turbo squealing at 2-3k rpm - not replaced - would be at customer expense @ $4,700.

Moving on to non-OEM turbos - the question is which ones. :unsure:

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
822 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Every time I read this thread I want to trade in my car.
Eh it sucks to see but the issue has been addressed in later models and Infiniti has been good about covering the work under warranty,
the old saying of wait 2-3 years after a redesign continues to exist for a reason.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Eh it sucks to see but the issue has been addressed in later models and Infiniti has been good about covering the work under warranty,
the old saying of wait 2-3 years after a redesign continues to exist for a reason.
But I dont know.

On NASIOC, we had a thread about the fa20 DIT motors going...modded and factory. Mine never went at around 290whp...factory was 220 whp.

I want to know who had regular 5,000 me OCI with 5w30 and still had to replace turbos.

I want to blame the oil and interval over the design.

I just dont know.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
But the issue is the turbo design specifically the oil seals themselves, even with a thicker oil and shorter OCI it probably wouldn't do much
to prevent the issue. Infiniti would have immediately adjusted the recommended oil and OCI interval rather than pay
to drop a motor and replace the turbos had the fix been that simple.

Malpledom and QXAdix both ran 5W30 and a 5,000 OCI if I'm not mistaken but their names are still on the list.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'm curious what the turbo oil seal failures ration is with regard to speed sensor (400-hp VR30s) vs no speed sensor-equipped (300-hp VR30s).

The Google found a good article:

7 Ways to Kill a Turbo—And How to Avoid Them

#2 on the list is Over-speeding. Seal leaks are #4, along with oiling issues (#3). Makes me wonder why Infiniti went to a shorter dipstick to effectively add 1/2 qt capacity to the crankcase for the mid-MY2019 & MY2020 - to help with oil supply to the turbo seals?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I'm curious what the turbo oil seal failures ration is with regard to speed sensor (400-hp VR30s) vs no speed sensor-equipped (300-hp VR30s).

The Google found a good article:

7 Ways to Kill a Turbo—And How to Avoid Them

#2 on the list is Over-speeding. Seal leaks are #4, along with oiling issues (#3). Makes me wonder why Infiniti went to a shorter dipstick to effectively add 1/2 qt capacity to the crankcase for the mid-MY2019 & MY2020 - to help with oil supply to the turbo seals?
Even stock 300HP versions were showing the issue so it's unlikely it would have anything to do with the speed sensor or actual RPM of the turbo wheel itself.
That said I wouldn't be surprised if the RS or tuned engines encountered the failures a bit sooner but based on our small sample size in this thread
those encountering the issue do so between 20-50K miles be they tuned or stock for 300 and 400HP versions.

The shortened dipstick is most likely to slow oil dilution by increasing total capacity available, 0W20 is the recommended oil weight which is very light
given the 10K mile OCI and moving to something like 5W30 would hurt fleet wide MPG.

Reactions: u1arunit

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,232 Posts
Anyone have a link for the NEW shorter dipstick for a VR 3.0T 2018.

I'm afraid I'll just get the same dipstick I've got. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,232 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
I'm still waiting for some type of info regarding possible damage from one of these failed turbos. Yes they make noise and yes they leak a little oil, but if it's not going to hurt anything then it's not an automatic MUST. If you're within warranty then sure, but once a warranty is denied or you're outside it, as long as it's not causing damage and you change your oil regularly, it's not a requirement to swap turbos.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm still waiting for some type of info regarding possible damage from one of these failed turbos. Yes they make noise and yes they leak a little oil, but if it's not going to hurt anything then it's not an automatic MUST. If you're within warranty then sure, but once a warranty is denied or you're outside it, as long as it's not causing damage and you change your oil regularly, it's not a requirement to swap turbos.

I would tend to agree with you on that, however if the turbo is leaking oil and blowing it into the intercooler it may cause some problems. The intercoolers may get filled with oil and then get baked inside there and increase heat and reduce flow. I would think you want rant to routinely check and clean the inside of the intercoolers and that wouldn't be an easy job.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
I would tend to agree with you on that, however if the turbo is leaking oil and blowing it into the intercooler it may cause some problems. The intercoolers may get filled with oil and then get baked inside there and increase heat and reduce flow. I would think you want rant to routinely check and clean the inside of the intercoolers and that wouldn't be an easy job.
I don't believe that's going to be possible unless you had a complete failure. When in boost the intake tract is under pressure so the piping and cooler won't fill with oil. You could have some leakage, but it won't "fill up". This also assumes it's compressor side. Turbine side and it will just burn off in the exhaust.

361 - 380 of 507 Posts