Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

401 - 420 of 507 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 RWD Premium
324 Posts
I've just put my cheap borescope to work and inspected my right-side turbo 8k miles after replacement. There's also a tiny bit of oil that came from the breather.
So this is a photo of 8k on a replacement Gen2 turbo?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Did you have to remove the intake boxes with your scope or were you able to maneuver through the inlets?
I only removed the filter but it is kinda hard to maneuver to be honest. Plus, there were some residue of oil that the tech didn't clean up which got into the camera lens.

So this is a photo of 8k on a replacement Gen2 turbo?
Gen3! lol

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 RWD Premium
324 Posts
Hard to imagine Honeywell / Garrett are not catching flax from Infiniti - a redesign and they still are not holding up. This seems more and more like an engineering wrinkle of a new engine and all VR30 owners are along for the ride.🤨

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
We will need to wait and see how the Gen 2 turbos pan out, I think they will hold up far better and sadly that may simply be good enough for Infiniti. The one or two people reporting issues could
also be due to a poorly completed installed or simply an assembly issue in the factory due to the newer parts.

Need to play it by ear, I'd personally hope Infiniti doesn't need to go through a 3rd revision....

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #405
I only removed the filter but it is kinda hard to maneuver to be honest. Plus, there were some residue of oil that the tech didn't clean up which got into the camera lens.

Gen3! lol
Good tip. I've got a borescope, I'm going to try this if I only have to pull the filter.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Odd that turbos are not mentioned in the CPO:
Regardless, the 6-yr/70k mile Powertrain Warranty would cover the turbos.

Reactions: q50adix

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
^ yeah, what he said above.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Q50 RS
10 Posts
Add me

Both
None
Stock

Symptoms:
Rattle at startup (assumed this was normal)
Coolant loss

If it wasn’t for the latter, I never would have known.

Had to go back and forth with the dealer about it and bring it back multiple
times. They have had the car for a cumulative of 48 days (most of which they were “pressure testing” or “replacing coolant overflow bottle”). If you’re noticing any sarcasm, it’s just hiding my anger.

Went to pick it up today (finally) and whoever did the alignment botched it severely. Looks
like tomorrow will be the day.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When the turbo symptoms start appearing like whistling and ruttleing
I can do my swap with any upgrade turbo or they will not accept the condition of the turbos ..?

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Luxe RWD
848 Posts
I need to take a video of my cold start. I feel like I have some of these symptoms of turbo failure that I've assumed was normal sounds. But my car is pulling hard and making boost as expected so.. IDK

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #417
I need to take a video of my cold start. I feel like I have some of these symptoms of turbo failure that I've assumed was normal sounds. But my car is pulling hard and making boost as expected so.. IDK
Many people don't experience a loss of performance when their turbos have failed. Only symptoms are noise and maybe some oil leakage. Do you have a borescope? They're cheap on Amazon that hook up to your phone and you can scope the compressor inlet side at a minimum.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
And they scratched the crap out of my bumper. I think I am done with INFINITI after this car.
Sounds to me like you need a new dealer. 48 days for a known issue? Unacceptable.

Reactions: Avedis53
401 - 420 of 507 Posts