Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

561 - 580 of 611 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #561 (Edited)
That’s for engine reliability, not turbo longevity though, which is what he’s referencing. 19psi on the turbo is 19psi on the turbo regardless of octane. ....
this all day. And I've said it a million times, the super special "turbo wheel sensors" are completely useless if you need to hit a certain psi. It doesn't somehow make it safer if it takes xxxxx compressor speed to reach yy psi.

Furthermore, ON THIS PLATFORM, i would argue that the JB4 can actually be safer than some Ecutek tunes because the timing is fixed from factory instead of some tooners who crank up the boost AND the timing. Closed loop fuel goes a heck of a long way to keeping the motor alive.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I think there's more info of people installing the PURE turbos so I'd probably go that route.
So to understand the difference between the R/T Turbos and the Pure Turbos, the R/T turbos retain the stock housings (cartridges) and "flow about 30% more without sacrificing spool response with their custom machined billet wheels", whereas the Pure Turbos list:
  • Custom Billet Compressor wheel
  • Custom Turbine wheel
  • CNC Machined
  • High Speed VSR Balanced
So, if I were to choose between the two companies for a turbo upgrade, should the assumption be made that 1) if you want an aftermarket turbo solution that behaves like stock, with less lag at the bottom end, but sacrifice some ultimate hp up-top - choose R/T Turbos, or 2) if you want all-out hp, while sacrificing low-end response (more lag), then choose Pure Turbos.

As @JohnIn NH points out, his power curve with the Pure Turbos has moved-up to being "on-the-boost" at 4k rpm and up.

This topic reminds me of the early 90s, when Dodge produced and ultimately pulled-back on their Variable-Vane Turbos (VVT), which were professed to give you the best of both worlds - less lag at the bottom end, but more power at the top end. However, they could never solve the reliability issues with the VVT, unfortunately.

Both solutions have their advantages to where they help in the power curve - it's a matter of personal choice where to emphasize that power increase.

Reactions: Batell

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
665 Posts
The real question is whats up with AMS 800whp turbos?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
The real question is whats up with AMS 800whp turbos?
Was anything more posted after this?
"Turbo System:
With turbos from AMSTurbo.com we’re using a prototype Garrett GTX-based twin turbo system on the car, which mounts directly to the cylinder heads. We’re still a ways out from having these readily available as an off-the-shelf kit to order, however, we can build the kit in-house for customers looking to put these on their car as soon as possible.".

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
665 Posts
"Turbo System:
With turbos from AMSTurbo.com we’re using a prototype Garrett GTX-based twin turbo system on the car, which mounts directly to the cylinder heads. We’re still a ways out from having these readily available as an off-the-shelf kit to order, however, we can build the kit in-house for customers looking to put these on their car as soon as possible.".
Not sure. Seems like the move though if you’re planning on building the block and tranny.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
Not sure. Seems like the move though if you’re planning on building the block and tranny.
Yeah just depends how long you're willing to wait. Seems like if they were available for a custom install that someone would have done it by now or at least gotten a quote and specs. Otherwise it was just down for publicity and isn't really available.

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 RWD Premium
385 Posts
"Turbo System:
If memory serves me - the AMS Turbo Kit has custom built mounting hardware to accommodate the physically larger GTX2860's.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
@IridiumRS400 if the RT turbos use the same housing, is it ported? If so it seems like they would have to change the wheels. Do they state if they do?
I just sent an inquiry to R/T Tuning. Let's see if they respond, and what details they'll provide.

Reactions: Ddnspider

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Reactions: Syeghyayan23

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #574

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 RWD Premium
385 Posts
Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
2019 luxe RWD
58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 RWD Premium
385 Posts
Where did you purchase your pure2 ? What was the price you paid ? Seb quoted me for RT turbos I wonder exactly how much more would I pay for installed on a pair of pure2 turbos
Sent you a PM

Reactions: Syeghyayan23

·
Registered
2017 AWD Q50 RS
12 Posts
So I got a call from the dealer today. They still haven’t even started the work on the long block replacement and apparently last night someone put my car up on blocks and stole the wheels off of it.

FML. Anyone have any good Magnuson Moss attorney? This is absolutely out of control.

561 - 580 of 611 Posts