Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

581 - 597 of 597 Posts

·
Registered
2019 luxe RWD
58 Posts
So I got a call from the dealer today. They still haven’t even started the work on the long block replacement and apparently last night someone put my car up on blocks and stole the wheels off of it.

FML. Anyone have any good Magnuson Moss attorney? This is absolutely out of control.
Elizabeth Torres

Pre-Litigation Case Manager | Consumer Law Experts, P.C.

D: 310-442-1410 Ext. 173

F: 877-566-8828

A: 5757 W Century Blvd., Suite 500

Los Angeles, CA 90045

·
Registered
2019 luxe RWD
58 Posts
So I got a call from the dealer today. They still haven’t even started the work on the long block replacement and apparently last night someone put my car up on blocks and stole the wheels off of it.

FML. Anyone have any good Magnuson Moss attorney? This is absolutely out of control.
Elizabeth Torres

Pre-Litigation Case Manager | Consumer Law Experts, P.C.

D: 310-442-1410 Ext. 173

F: 877-566-8828

A: 5757 W Century Blvd., Suite 500

Los Angeles, CA 90045

·
Registered
2016 infiniti q50 premium 3.0t
22 Posts
2016 q50 3.0 premium
61,850 miles
Mods: Jb4 with AMS LDP's, fI catback exhaust, AMS cold air intake, AMS H/E, add w1 catch can

Symptoms: JB4 registers turbo #1 at 16PSI while turbo #2 will be pushing 14.6 PSI (turbo leak?). On cold starts a rattling sound will happen everytime, I assume to be bad wastegates, squealing sound under acceleration which I think is serpentine belt, smell of burnt oil when car is parked and running inside the cabin. Also notice loss of power time to time from 1.5kRPM-3kRPM...currently in the process of getting this claim settled from the dealership and is still under warranty.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
17 Posts
2016 q50 3.0 premium
61,850 miles
Mods: Jb4 with AMS LDP's, fI catback exhaust, AMS cold air intake, AMS H/E, add w1 catch can

Symptoms: JB4 registers turbo #1 at 16PSI while turbo #2 will be pushing 14.6 PSI (turbo leak?). On cold starts a rattling sound will happen everytime, I assume to be bad wastegates, squealing sound under acceleration which I think is serpentine belt, smell of burnt oil when car is parked and running inside the cabin. Also notice loss of power time to time from 1.5kRPM-3kRPM...currently in the process of getting this claim settled from the dealership and is still under warranty.
Dumb question but how can you tell what each turbo makes?

·
Registered
2017 Q50 3.0t
12 Posts
Add me to the list.

I bought a 2017 3.0t at 18 or 19k miles a couple of months ago. I'm currently at 20,xxx miles so not a lot of driving and the car is stock. I noticed some small issues that concerned me (excess smoke, chirping/whining under load). Dealership told me today they are replacing the turbo (which I made a video of the sound for them and explained I believed was the issue). When I asked which bank they advised both of them. I asked about the belt tensioner and the SA stated they would handle that as well. Will update with final outcome once everything is done.

Tldr; 2017 q50 3.0t turbos replaced at 20,000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Q50 community, I am new to infinity/nissan(turbo cars as well) and I am looking to buy my first; specifically a 2018+ red sport. I've been doing some research and came across the turbo issue and have read through many of the post on this topic and i have some questions:

For those of you who have replaced your turbos under warranty with the new design, did the issue ever pop back up?
I see some owners with 2019's have had to replace turbos, isn't that the year the turbo was redesigned?
I see RT tuning makes a stock housing turbo but flows about 30% better, i'm assuming a tune is needed if one goes with those?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I see RT tuning makes a stock housing turbo but flows about 30% better, I'm assuming a tune is needed if one goes with those?
Yes. In addition to the tune, you should have higher-flow injectors, HPFP, and LPFP installed at the same time to match the higher airflow rates with higher fuel flow rates, too.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,809 Posts
Yes. In addition to the tune, you should have higher-flow injectors, HPFP, and LPFP installed at the same time to match the higher airflow rates with higher fuel flow rates, too.
Chump change.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 RWD Premium
376 Posts
For those of you who have replaced your turbos under warranty with the new design, did the issue ever pop back up?
Yes - I lost my 2017 original OEM turbos (oil leaks - no noises) - both were replaced with the new "redesigned" turbos under warranty. In less than 5K miles the new driver-side turbo started making a whistling noise at higher (3-4k) RPMs. This one was replaced under warranty. The passenger side turbo started making the same whistling noise but now at a lower RPM (2-3k) and very annoying. Instead of replacing that turbo with another OEM "new" turbo at my expense, I purchased Pure Stage 2 Turbos and had Infiniti install them. IMHO - the old and new design OEM turbos are at best problematic for a growing number of VR30 engine owners.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
630 Posts
Yes - I lost my 2017 original OEM turbos (oil leaks - no noises) - both were replaced with the new "redesigned" turbos under warranty. In less than 5K miles the new driver-side turbo started making a whistling noise at higher (3-4k) RPMs. This one was replaced under warranty. The passenger side turbo started making the same whistling noise but now at a lower RPM (2-3k) and very annoying. Instead of replacing that turbo with another OEM "new" turbo at my expense, I purchased Pure Stage 2 Turbos and had Infiniti install them. IMHO - the old and new design OEM turbos are at best problematic for a growing number of VR30 engine owners.
Infiniti was willing to install aftermarket turbos?
Did you pay for install, what was the cost or would have been?

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 RWD Premium
376 Posts
My Infiniti Dealership in NTX (Crest) is amazing. I paid for the turbos and the entire engine drop/install with all the associated fluid/parts & labor to do the round trip (@ $2-3k if I recall.) The Pure Stage 2 turbos (with core swap) was @ $3.2k from Jotech Motorsports) where my out-of-pocket cost to pay for an OEM turbo and the labor/parts would have been @ $5k. So for @ $2k more, I put two upgraded turbos in vs continuing down the OEM turbo path.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chump change.
Just trying to fully understand what i'm getting into there
My Infiniti Dealership in NTX (Crest) is amazing. I paid for the turbos and the entire engine drop/install with all the associated fluid/parts & labor to do the round trip (@ $2-3k if I recall.) The Pure Stage 2 turbos (with core swap) was @ $3.2k from Jotech Motorsports) where my out-of-pocket cost to pay for an OEM turbo and the labor/parts would have been @ $5k. So for @ $2k more, I put two upgraded turbos in vs continuing down the OEM turbo path.
When did you do your first oem turbo swap?

The fact that your oem replacements still went is turning me off from buying an RS; my original plan is just to have a stock RS to use daily while giving it a beating every now and then.

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 RWD Premium
376 Posts
Just trying to fully understand what i'm getting into there

When did you do your first oem turbo swap?

The fact that your oem replacements still went is turning me off from buying an RS; my original plan is just to have a stock RS to use daily while giving it a beating every now and then.
Both original OEM turbos were swapped out at @ 38k - the car now has less than 46k.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
so, i'm guessing this happened in 2019 when they had the revised turbos by then...? Any other 2019 model years or others with the revised turbo's care to chime in?
If my memory can be trusted then yes 2019 MY is when the new turbos were standard on the Q50/60, there was a thread discussing the topic in 2019 or early 2019.

581 - 597 of 597 Posts