Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
841 - 860 of 894 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #841 ·
What I meant is what makes these items "upgraded"? I'm looking for more details other than a marketing claim. The information on the listing is fairly vague. What root cause issues did they try to resolve by upgrading these items and how did they upgrade them?
Curious on the "upgraded wastegate" statement since alot of people have had wsstegate failures, but it's generally understood that the oil rings fail on the turbos so it sounds like this rebuild kit resolves either the material failures or the tolerances. He confirmed itsmade in Japan.

·
Premium Member
3,937 Posts
Tell me about it 🤦‍♂️
I have seen at least two here going for a second turbo replacement.

I dobt trust it.

As my dad said 40 years ago, once you crack open a motor, it isnt the same.

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
875 Posts
Two failed original 2016-17 "1st gen" turbos - oil leaks
Three failed "2nd gen" turbos - squealing noises

Hence I went with Pure Stage 2's versus waiting for the fourth 2nd gen turbos to start squealing.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #844 ·
Curious on the "upgraded wastegate" statement since alot of people have had wsstegate failures, but it's generally understood that the oil rings fail on the turbos so it sounds like this rebuild kit resolves either the material failures or the tolerances. He confirmed itsmade in Japan.
From the seller,
"the oil rings were upgraded to step gap rings with a harder material and coating. This keeps the rings from wearing down and when the do wear down the step gap does not leave space for oil to leak. You will find this design in larger turbos with crazy boost. The wastegates are upgraded materials as well, the temperature resistance and tensile strength on this part top tier. I can walk you through the design phase and testing if you care for additional details"

·
Premium Member
3,937 Posts
i thought about it but there's not much else that interests me at this price point
There is nothing at this price point lest you go for a 3 series or an A5.

when it starts troubling me, I may 1. move to a FWD econoish box like camry. 2. RS5 or M4 X drive. 3. Hyundai Santa Cruz (it reminds me a lot of the Fiat Toro my father in law has in Brazil).

here is a toro pic for reference.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Yeah I get that it varies from dealer to dealer and it shouldn’t be a problem. I just think they would see it as a clue that you’re not running stock boost and investigate further if they’re instructed to or just want to be dic*s about it. When the motor blows I’m sure they’ll want to know why.
Why would you need a larger hx if you’re running stock boost and not beating on the car (especially on a non RS)? I think that’s how they may view it.
People here in Texas wouldn't mind seeing larger HX! You know how hot it gets down here.

Anyways, mine was AMS but the one sold at Infiniti. Thus, had the huge infiniti name. Probably that's why no tech even bothered to suspect.

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
ive not had time to schedule an appt at the dealer yet. the car hasnt reproduced this result since but i also havent driven it for an extended time. air filters are clean so it doesnt seem to be leaking from the compressor side (yet). ive done shorter, normal trips where the engine has been running for 30 minutes roughly in normal traffic with no smoke occurring. ive even spent time leaning on it quite a bit, with 4-5.....spirited blasts up to....speed in rapid succession with an immediate stop to an idle condition with zero result.

im pretty sure this is the beginning stages of failure. ill have to drive the car for a long period again to get the turbo nice and hot, then record it on my phone i guess. i doubt the dealer will find anything under normal troubleshooting.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #849 ·
ive not had time to schedule an appt at the dealer yet. the car hasnt reproduced this result since but i also havent driven it for an extended time. air filters are clean so it doesnt seem to be leaking from the compressor side (yet). ive done shorter, normal trips where the engine has been running for 30 minutes roughly in normal traffic with no smoke occurring. ive even spent time leaning on it quite a bit, with 4-5.....spirited blasts up to....speed in rapid succession with an immediate stop to an idle condition with zero result.

im pretty sure this is the beginning stages of failure. ill have to drive the car for a long period again to get the turbo nice and hot, then record it on my phone i guess. i doubt the dealer will find anything under normal troubleshooting.
A couple of WOT pulls will get the heat in the snail ☺

·
Registered
829 Posts
yeah, i did that. 5 consecutive runs way past jailable speeds and nothing.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #851 ·

·
Premium Member
3,937 Posts
A relevant link about how turbos fail:

Water Cooling For Your Turbo
This is really frustrating

This is the first time I have read about turbo seal failure reason.

I can not recall Evo or Wrx/STI owners having this problem.

Oh yeah, I had an MR2 Turbo for a while. Never heard of issues there.

Sure a turbo can fail here and there, but not because it has an Achilles heel.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
This is really frustrating

This is the first time I have read about turbo seal failure reason.

I can not recall Evo or Wrx/STI owners having this problem.

Oh yeah, I had an MR2 Turbo for a while. Never heard of issues there.

Sure a turbo can fail here and there, but not because it has an Achilles heel.
I'm not familiar enough with the Evo or WRX/STI but I recall turbo failures
being pretty rampant in the 90s, that said it's a little odd to compare two
totally different engines and likely model of turbos.

There is always going to be production issues as things are changed out and upgrade.
But I would agree that it shouldn't be this common of an issue this late into the life-cycle
of the engine.

Based on my reading the VR30 runs a custom spec MGT1446Z Garrett turbo which is related
to the turbo found in VW 1.8 TFSI which arrived around 2012 but its hard to say if these turbo
failures are the result of over-heating or poor turbo design.

I'm leaning towards turbo design more so than over-heating (although it could be both),
a larger stock XE would have been a pretty easy fix to push out from Infiniti if
it was just a heat issue.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #855 ·
2016 q50 rs 74k
Taking it into Infiniti tomorrow hope goes well. I know tur8o are leaking.
Please respond when you confirm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In fact tur8o where leaking. It was under warranty til 12 of this year. Nesna is going to replace the tur8os and motor. 8ut I have to pay for labor which is 8.s. cause my car is only worth 25k. Which is 8.s too. Filed claim with Infiniti consumer affairs and hours of 8acc and fourth 3300 hundred dollar bill for la8or.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,244 Posts
In fact tur8o where leaking. It was under warranty til 12 of this year. Nesna is going to replace the tur8os and motor. 8ut I have to pay for labor which is 8.s. cause my car is only worth 25k. Which is 8.s too. Filed claim with Infiniti consumer affairs and hours of 8acc and fourth 3300 hundred dollar bill for la8or.
English please.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,244 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: xBlitzkriegx
841 - 860 of 894 Posts