Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
861 - 880 of 894 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,243 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
806 Posts
Figure it out.
No one here cares about language barriers, and members here are very accommodating anytime we see ESL users posting. There's no reason to be a **** about it.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,243 Posts
No one here cares about language barriers, and members here are very accommodating anytime we see ESL users posting. There's no reason to be a **** about it.
I doubt this is an ESL issue if he's in Nashville, TN.

·
Registered
52 Posts
2019 LUX
AMS Intakes
F.I. Full Down Pipes with GESI catalytic converter
F.I Cat back
AMS Heat Exchanger
Auxiliary Intercooler Coolant Expansion
HKS BOV

Mileage 12,850
Driver side turbo leaking oil 16psi ECUTEK Tune
Dealer tried to deny coverage due to aftermarket parts but service advisor called Infiniti corporate and they were told to replace turbo

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ok, it's official. Dealership was finally able to replicate the issue I had. Both turbos will be replaced.

54,500 miles
Both turbos replaced
LDPs for about 2 months. aFe drop ins
Stock boost
0w20 Mobil 1 EP
5K OCI

Symptoms started off with excessive (imo, even for a DI engine) soot build up on bumper. This occurred from day one of ownership but I wrote it off as normal DI soot. It progressed in to actual small particles of oil accumulation. It also had the beginning stages of wastegate rattle but it was so minor, I don't think I could have successfully argued in favor of it.

It then progressed to light blue smoke at idle after 15+ minute drives. Shortly after, I began to hear what can only be described as a dentist's drill sound under boost when above 2500rpm at engine engine load.

I took a chance on this car, knowing I might have to deal with this. I was hoping it wouldn't happen but here we are. Still, it's under warranty so there's that. All cars have problems and this isn't my first car with intrinsic flaws. I still very much like my car and have no regrets on purchase.

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
806 Posts
Ok, it's official. Dealership was finally able to replicate the issue I had. Both turbos will be replaced.

54,500 miles
Both turbos replaced
Stock boost
0w20 Mobil 1 EP
5K OCI

Symptoms started off with excessive (imo, even for a DI engine) soot build up on bumper. This occurred from day one of ownership but I wrote it off as normal DI soot. It progressed in to actual small particles of oil accumulation. It also had the beginning stages of wastegate rattle but it was so minor, I don't think I could have successfully argued in favor of it.

It then progressed to light blue smoke at idle after 15+ minute drives. Shortly after, I began to hear what can only be described as a dentist's drill sound under boost when above 2500rpm at engine engine load.

I took a chance on this car, knowing I might have to deal with this. I was hoping it wouldn't happen but here we are. Still, it's under warranty so there's that. All cars have problems and this isn't my first car with intrinsic flaws. I still very much like my car and have no regrets on purchase.
Better it happened now than at 71k miles! Enjoy the new turbos, and make sure to give 'em hell when you get the car back. For science.

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts

54,500 miles
Both turbos replaced
Stock boost
0w20 Mobil 1 EP
5K OCI
Going to run 5W30 with the new turbos, Blitz??? ;)

C'mon, join the dark (thicker) side...LOL

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

54,500 miles
Both turbos replaced
Stock boost
0w20 Mobil 1 EP
5K OCI

You're late to the party - welcome! All good. You'll have new turbos and the car will be as good as new.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well guys it happened again. I believe I was the first person to post on here with turbos failed twice and now I'm replacing them a third time. Car has 93K miles on it and the newly failed turbos have about 25K. The symptom is, as it was in the past, a mild whistling sound under boost and oil in the turbo inlet, car was driving fine. At this point I will have replaced the turbos on average every 30,000 miles. Infiniti says that my 6 year unlimited mileage CPO warranty does not cover turbos, but they will provide the parts as "goodwill" if I cover the $2,000. labor costs. Note to anyone considering the CPO warranty!!! The car has been very reliable with the exception of the turbos. Obviously there is a design issue. I had a twin turbo V6 Audi that still had the original turbos at 150,000 miles. I'm now putting $2K into a car that I'm still making payments on. Anyone who expects to keep the car past the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty should reconsider trusting Infiniti.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also anyone interested should contact me privately regarding a class action lawsuit. I'm willing to invest a little time and energy into coordinating something. Probably go nowhere as it looks like most people have not been financially impacted by these failures, but it might be amusing to reach out to Branstetter, Stranch & Jennings PLLC, Greenstone Law APC, and Glancy Prongay & Murray who recently won a $277m judgement against Nissan.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,027 Posts
Well guys it happened again. I believe I was the first person to post on here with turbos failed twice and now I'm replacing them a third time. Car has 93K miles on it and the newly failed turbos have about 25K. The symptom is, as it was in the past, a mild whistling sound under boost and oil in the turbo inlet, car was driving fine. At this point I will have replaced the turbos on average every 30,000 miles. Infiniti says that my 6 year unlimited mileage CPO warranty does not cover turbos, but they will provide the parts as "goodwill" if I cover the $2,000. labor costs. Note to anyone considering the CPO warranty!!! The car has been very reliable with the exception of the turbos. Obviously there is a design issue. I had a twin turbo V6 Audi that still had the original turbos at 150,000 miles. I'm now putting $2K into a car that I'm still making payments on. Anyone who expects to keep the car past the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty should reconsider trusting Infiniti.
Ughh - I hate seeing this thread pop up from time to time with a new post! Really sorry its your 4th set! I saw some sort of upgrade kit for these turbos on Ebay...maybe its worth a look? Anyone have that link handy....can't put my finger on it at the moment.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #876 ·
What are your mods? Pm if needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No need. Stock non-rs. Part of me wonders if the whistling and a little oil consumption that has caused me to replaced the turbos so many times is really an issue. The B5 S4 I took to 150,000 miles had a slight turbo whistle the whole time...

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #878 ·
No need. Stock non-rs. Part of me wonders if the whistling and a little oil consumption that has caused me to replaced the turbos so many times is really an issue. The B5 S4 I took to 150,000 miles had a slight turbo whistle the whole time...
I would guess either there were install issues, you don't actually have failed turbos, or you're doing some unusual with the car. A stock nonRS isn't even making 10 psi of boost.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So when were the current turbos replaced? Were they the latest version (2019+ production version)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
First replaced in 2017, then around this time of year 2020, and its at the dealer now for another set. Unfortunately the service records are in the glovebox so I can't check the part numbers of the replaced turbos. I really don't think I'm doing anything unusual. All I do is drive my kids to school, drive to meetings around DC and occasionally punch it at an on ramp. I do think that these latest replacements might not really be failures. The car was driving well, with only a slight whistle as the turbos spun up. It was mild enough that I doubt most drivers would have thought anything of it. I wonder if it wouldn't go tens of thousands of miles with just that whistle...

861 - 880 of 894 Posts