Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
881 - 894 of 894 Posts

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Infiniti says that my 6 year unlimited mileage CPO warranty does not cover turbos, but they will provide the parts as "goodwill" if I cover the $2,000. labor costs.
Wait what???? CPO pretty clearly states it covers the powertrain under warranty and the Turbos are a component of the powertrain.
  • 72 month/160,000km* Powertrain Warranty

Was that the dealership telling you they won't cover the cost of repair or was that the Infiniti themselves??? Because I'd be asking where
in the CPO language that specifically excludes the turbos from coverage.

Reactions: Ddnspider

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm trying to get some clarification from the customer affairs folks now. I'm a little nervous to press the issue to much for fear of getting stuck with the full bill rather than just the labor...

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #884 ·
I'm trying to get some clarification from the customer affairs folks now. I'm a little nervous to press the issue to much for fear of getting stuck with the full bill rather than just the labor...
If you have in writing that they will cover parts, they can't just change their mind.

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
The turbos are integrated with the Exhaust Manifolds, and Exhaust Manifolds are specially listed as "Covered" in the Powertrain Warranty verbage.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q50 RS400 AWD
257 Posts
If that’s what your dealer said, they’re a bunch of reproductive organ gobblers. Blows my mind how out of touch so many of them are.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Guys, the CPO did end up covering it. The customer affairs people has sent me a list of exclusions to the CPO warranty at my request. After looking at it I could not see where it excluded turbos so I asked them to give the item number (the exclusions were numbered 1-18). I never got a response to that but a few days later I got a call from them telling me that the CPO warranty was between me and the dealer and not Infiniti so they couldn't help. I asked them to send that in writing to me email, and about 3 hours later my service adviser called and said the warranty would cover all the work. I just picked the car up and all seems well. It's now on turbo 7 and 8.

I'm planning on installing BOV in the coming weeks. I doubt that there really is a defect in the fluid bearing design as Garrett knows what they are doing, and given that my last failure was installed in 2020 they would have figured it out by then if there was a design issue. Does anyone know a way to stop the motor remotely? Will the Infiniti connect app do it? I'm going to be more concious of letting the car idle for a few minutes after a trip but would like to stop the motor remotely.

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
875 Posts
Hey Guys, the CPO did end up covering it. … I'm going to be more concious of letting the car idle for a few minutes
Congrats on prevailing with the warranty claim battle.

Ditto your stance on allowing the engine / turbos a few minutes of light driving / idle before parking it. This is considered by most as a universal “good turbo practice.” It is also wise get periodic oil analysis testing for your paperwork (read into that warranty) as well as piece of mind as to what is happening inside the engine (eg contamination, TBN that looks off when compared to averages for OCI, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
I'm going to be more concious of letting the car idle for a few minutes after a trip but would like to stop the motor remotely.
As I've mentioned in other threads, turbos don't like to be boosted with cold oil, and they don't like to be heat-soaked from an immediate shut-down of the engine after experiencing high boost. In addition, a low oil level condition or dirty oil does not contribute to long oil seal & bearing life.

I typically don't idle/warm-up my Q after a cold start - I simply drive-off but stay out of the boost for the first few minutes of the drive. If I've been "giving it the beans" during the drive, I'll stay off boost for last few miles of my destination before shutting off the engine. If my Q was just on high boost, I'll idle it for a minute or so before shutting down. Lastly, maintain the engine oil and filter with good quality oil, the OEM filter, and 5k mile oil change intervals (OCIs).

BTW, the 10k mile OCI via the Infiniti oil minder is nice selling point for the ill-informed, but I ignore it, instead basing the OCI on the 5k mile interval.

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
Be prepared to have your warranty denied next time if you add BOV's.
We should advocate to BOV folks to install the new Mishimoto CACs - the longer snout prevents adding BOVs :sneaky:

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Hey Guys, the CPO did end up covering it. The customer affairs people has sent me a list of exclusions to the CPO warranty at my request. After looking at it I could not see where it excluded turbos so I asked them to give the item number (the exclusions were numbered 1-18). I never got a response to that but a few days later I got a call from them telling me that the CPO warranty was between me and the dealer and not Infiniti so they couldn't help. I asked them to send that in writing to me email, and about 3 hours later my service adviser called and said the warranty would cover all the work. I just picked the car up and all seems well. It's now on turbo 7 and 8.

I'm planning on installing BOV in the coming weeks. I doubt that there really is a defect in the fluid bearing design as Garrett knows what they are doing, and given that my last failure was installed in 2020 they would have figured it out by then if there was a design issue. Does anyone know a way to stop the motor remotely? Will the Infiniti connect app do it? I'm going to be more concious of letting the car idle for a few minutes after a trip but would like to stop the motor remotely.
Glad they ended up honoring the CPO Warranty, that said consumer affairs saying the warranty is between "you and the dealership" is a worry-some statement.
Its a warranty based on Infiniti standards and the dealer is an approved franchise that can sell and offer services in Infiniti's name.

Consumer affairs shouldn't be brushing that off as not their problem.

881 - 894 of 894 Posts