Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
901 - 920 of 965 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, wastegate rattle IS NOT normal and is absolutely grounds for replacement.

What they're doing is looking at the manual where there is a note that specifies that "noise from the area of the wastegate" isn't a malfunction. The "noise" it's referring to is exhaust noise, not rattling but since it's not specifically defined, it's open to interpretation.

Any competent technician will know that wastegate rattle is a problem. Eventually, it'll throw a code when it gets bad enough but the problem is that you'll notice the performance loss long before that because of tolerances. IIRC, the wastegste has a range of like 8mm. The fully open tolerance is a full mm and the fully closed is around 0.5mm. It takes a lot of shaft wear before the ecm gets tired of compensating for anything in between.

Take it back and tell them you notice a loss of performance and that you hear a distinct rattle noise just off idle, like if you can hear it anytime in neutral and you lightly apply throttle or when you take off smoothly from a start, hot or cold. Tell them it didn't make this sound new and it makes this sound anytime them.
So even if the noise is happening on start up for like 10 seconds, I'd still tell them I can hear the noise upon throttling or just off idle? Is that the only way to get them to actually check the turbos? lol

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Waste gate rattle at startup when they are fully open is not normal. Have them go listen to every new car they have and you won't find any rattling.

If you have continued troubles with this dealer then go to another dealer.

Reactions: DryLipJohn

·
Super Moderator
3,856 Posts
So even if the noise is happening on start up for like 10 seconds, I'd still tell them I can hear the noise upon throttling or just off idle? Is that the only way to get them to actually check the turbos? lol
The initial noise at cold start is the wastegates being commanded open by the ECU, to facilitate faster "light-off" of the primary catalytic converter. If the turbos are healthy, the acoustic noise with the wastegates open should subside after 10-20 seconds after cold start. That is normal.

What is not normal is if the wastegate(s) are rattling under boost. You'll may hear the noise, but also the turbos will not be able to build boost because the wastegate rattle will cause some pressure to bleed-off. The only solution to wastegate rattle is replacement of the turbo(s).

·
Registered
15 Posts
The initial noise at cold start is the wastegates being commanded open by the ECU, to facilitate faster "light-off" of the primary catalytic converter. If the turbos are healthy, the acoustic noise with the wastegates open should subside after 10-20 seconds after cold start. That is normal.

What is not normal is if the wastegate(s) are rattling under boost. You'll may hear the noise, but also the turbos will not be able to build boost because the wastegate rattle will cause some pressure to bleed-off. The only solution to wastegate rattle is replacement of the turbo(s).
Ok so at the moment I can only hear it upon start up for 10 seconds or so. I don't believe I hear it at any point while driving and I drive pretty aggressively. The only other noticeable thing is aside from the initial start up and rattle for a few seconds, I feel as if the car is not "pulling" the way it was a couple thousand miles ago when I bought it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The rattling sound in this video is wastegate rattle. Notice that it goes away right at the end of the video, that's because the ecm commands them closed.

It is normal for the car to sound louder at idle upon first start. It is NOT normal for it to sound like something is rattling or loose.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,677 Posts
The rattling sound in this video is wastegate rattle. Notice that it goes away right at the end of the video, that's because the ecm commands them closed.

It is normal for the car to sound louder at idle upon first start. It is NOT normal for it to sound like something is rattling or loose.

Now that's wastegate rattle!

·
Registered
15 Posts

I'm pretty sure mine is like that aswell. I'll have to test on a complete cold start tomorrow just to make sure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well here we are again in less than 2 months and 500 miles Driver side turbo leaking again haven't taken to the dealer yet.
car is going back to stock shortly and I'm getting rid of it

·
Registered
995 Posts
Well here we are again in less than 2 months and 500 miles Driver side turbo leaking again haven't taken to the dealer yet.
car is going back to stock shortly and I'm getting rid of it
Whatever you're experiencing isn't related to the engine itself. Don't blame the engine for your problems.

·
Registered
2019 RS
1 Posts
60000 kms on the car. Loss of power,crazy turbo lag, brought the car in to the dealer. At first the tech couldn't notice anything after 1st test drive,then updated ECU,went for another test drive and came back saying turbos need to be replaced. 😵‍💫

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #914 ·
can you read!! turbo seal leaking again.. not sure how its my problem sounds more like a seal problem again:rolleyes:..
I think he was meaning its not the MOTOR. I.E. the turbo is a separate assembly and its not internal to the motor like valvetrain.

·
Registered
995 Posts
can you read!! turbo seal leaking again.. not sure how its my problem sounds more like a seal problem again:rolleyes:..
I'm saying you are the problem, not the car, not the turbos.

You lied earlier in this thread about the psi the turbos have seen and then got uppity when the dealer initially denied the warranty. They were making the right decision but you got lucky.

You ran around on 20lbs of boost all the time, you then decided to run a tune on it with 100 octane and up the timing in an attempt to turn down the boost. You most likely ran the piss out of it and that's what killed the turbos.

If the dealership did a good job on the installation (more likely than not) and you didn't get a randomly bad turbo (more unlikely that likely), the only thing left is you. I would not be surprised if you reloaded your tune in right after and pretended nothing happened.

Interestingly enough, you now want ANOTHER VR30 equipped car. I hope you've learned your lesson because if not, the Z forum you'll inevitably join is going to hear the same **** we did. iTs UnReLiAbLe 🙄

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,159 Posts
He's not Blitzkrieg for nothing!
Self-propelled artillery Combat vehicle Tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,677 Posts
Dial this back please.