Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
921 - 940 of 950 Posts

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #921 ·
Oh we're getting to 1000 posts....it just depends how many more people go to a dealership and have their turbos looked at. It's like cam bearings in an LS. As long as you don't look at them they're fine. 😂

·
Registered
2,297 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
2018 Luxe
Replaced at 34,000 miles
Just the drivers side turbo
No engine mods other than K&N filters

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #927 ·

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
Forgot to add symptoms to mine.

Symptoms were: Noticed loud "air flapping" noise coming from the engine. Sounded like an exhaust leak. Noise was especially loud at start up and then would settle down a bit but was constantly audible. Very noticable when revving the engine. Also would get an exhaust smell from the A/C when first turning it on.

Just curious, out of how many forum members have had this issue? Looks like we've got 50 or so documented cases.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Forgot to add symptoms to mine.

Symptoms were: Noticed loud "air flapping" noise coming from the engine. Sounded like an exhaust leak. Noise was especially loud at start up and then would settle down a bit but was constantly audible. Very noticable when revving the engine.

Just curious, out of how many forum members have had this issue? Looks like we've got 50 or so documented cases.
Wastegate rattle. This is actually a common failure point across a lot of modern turbos for some reason. BMW owners refuse to talk about it openly but go on their forums and it's easy to spot. CTS-VSport guys have the same issue on their 3.6TT engines. There's more but those two are very, very common examples.

There are many more on the Facebook group of you can stomach the kids. It's probably close enough to warrant an actual recall but it won't happen because it's not safety related.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
Wastegate rattle. This is actually a common failure point across a lot of modern turbos for some reason. BMW owners refuse to talk about it openly but go on their forums and it's easy to spot. CTS-VSport guys have the same issue on their 3.6TT engines. There's more but those two are very, very common examples.

There are many more on the Facebook group of you can stomach the kids. It's probably close enough to warrant an actual recall but it won't happen because it's not safety related.
I just listened to a YT video that one of the other members posted on wastegate rattle and mine didn't really sound like that. In the video, the noise was more of a "clicking" sound. Mine was more like a "fan" kind of sound. Kinda hard to describe.

The write-up of the repair says, "turbo leak at plug".

·
Registered
978 Posts
Fair enough. There's no way for to hear it now plus "turbo leaking at plug" is super cryptic lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 3.0t
40000 miles
Passenger side turbo replaced
JB4 for about 3 months. PLM HE. AMS intake.
Symptoms. I noticed oil in both turbo inlets when installing the AMS intake. Infiniti decided to only replaced the passenger side. They claimed that the drivers side is fine, but I doubt it since there shouldn’t be any oil in the intake pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
2018 3.0t
40000 miles
Passenger side turbo replaced
JB4 for about 3 months. PLM HE. AMS intake.
Symptoms. I noticed oil in both turbo inlets when installing the AMS intake. Infiniti decided to only replaced the passenger side. They claimed that the drivers side is fine, but I doubt it since there shouldn’t be any oil in the intake pipe.
Make sure to dispute them only doing one. It is a waste of your time and their time. Escalate it to Infiniti beyond the dealership. If you have symptoms indicating failure in both then this is a no brainer. Especially with the work involved in changing these.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Make sure to dispute them only doing one. It is a waste of your time and their time. Escalate it to Infiniti beyond the dealership. If you have symptoms indicating failure in both then this is a no brainer. Especially with the work involved in changing these.
seems to be a poor decision making process at the dealer level. i only had an issue with the driver's side turbo but the dealership replaced both.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
seems to be a poor decision making process at the dealer level. i only had an issue with the driver's side turbo but the dealership replaced both.
Dealer only replaced the one on mine. When I asked them about it they said that Infiniti would only replace the one that was faulty as they don't do "preventitive" warranty work. He said he would ask Infiniti but they would most likely say, "no".

Who knows? He could have just said he would check with Infiniti and did nothing and just told me they denied the replacement. But I have 2 years left on the factory warranty so hopefully if the other one is to go bad it will do so before then.

·
Registered
978 Posts
it'll come down to wording from the tech and service manager. as its been echoed many times over, replacing a single turbo is not in the interest of the dealership or Infiniti for that matter.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
I called Infiniti and asked them to look into it. Initially I got a bit of a run-around as the customer service person said that warranty issues came through the dealership and they didn't really talk to owners, but they gave me a case number and someone is supposed to be looking into it and calling me back tomorrow.

921 - 940 of 950 Posts