Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1001 - 1020 of 1097 Posts

· Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
385 Posts
Yes,,,that seems almost mind blowing,,to replace ONE turbo on a twin turbo set-up,, :unsure:
When my drivers side turbo went out, my dealer only replaced that one. When I questioned the service manager about it, he said that they couldn't replace a part that wasn't bad. I even called Infiniti customer service that had some sort of "manager" call me back the next day and she said the same thing.

· Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,002 ·
50 pages and 1000 posts!!!! Amazing this still isn't a formal recall.

· Super Moderator
4,224 Posts
I'm not 100% on this fact, but hear me out...

If you have one turbo "go out" on the MY2016 or MY2017 Qs w/EGT sensor, then both turbos will be replaced because I don't think the ECU S/W exists to allow one turbo w/EGT (old version) and one turbo w/o EGT (newest version).

On MY2018+, a single turbo replacement could be done without these S/W conflicts.

Reactions: Brianq50sport

· Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,004 ·
They can replace a single turbo on a 16/17. With the updated SW, neither bank would use the EGT regardless of whether its installed or not (plugged).

· Registered
1,567 Posts
50 pages and 1000 posts!!!! Amazing this still isn't a formal recall.
its actually only about 3 pages and a few dozen posts, the rest is typical Q50.org derailment. i am ok with this.

I'm not 100% on this fact, but hear me out...

If you have one turbo "go out" on the MY2016 or MY2017 Qs w/EGT sensor, then both turbos will be replaced because I don't think the ECU S/W exists to allow one turbo w/EGT (old version) and one turbo w/o EGT (newest version).

On MY2018+, a single turbo replacement could be done without these S/W conflicts.
interesting observation, makes sense to me mostly. i imagine you could still update the software and simply leave the sensor in the old turbo tucked away.

· Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,006 ·
its actually only about 3 pages and a few dozen posts, the rest is typical Q50.org derailment. i am ok with this.

Don't ruin it for us! 🤣

· Registered
7,059 Posts
Aye a fair bit of discussion and speculation between members making it more serious that it outwardly would appear, looks to be about 60 total reports (around 3 pages) but that is an eyebrow raising number even when taking into account how people more often go to the forums to report/complain about issues.

· Super Moderator
4,224 Posts
For anyone who cares, the itemized list of parts to replace both turbos & engine on my '17 Q60 Red Sport AWD @ 33,450 miles, which I picked up from the dealer today.

Labor: 17 hrs 30 min.

Replacement Parts:

5CA2C TURBOCHARGER
5CA2D TURBOCHARGER
5CA1A HEAT INSULATOR-TURBINE HOUSING
6GP0A HEAT INSULATOR-TURBINE HOUSING
14 - JD00A BOLTS
2 - 5CA0A TURBOCHARGER INLET GASKETS
2 - 5CB0A TURBOCHARGER OIL OUTLET GASKETS
2 - MB40B TURBOCHARGER OIL OUTLET GASKETS
6 - 5CA0A GASKET-EYE BOLTS
2 - 5CA0B GASKET-EYE BOLTS
2 - 5CB0A GASKET CONVERTERS
2 - 5CB0A CLAMPS
NISSAN COOLANT BLUE
2 - 5CA0A SENSOR ASSY AIR FUEL RATIO
8- 9BA0A NUTS
9 - 41G0A NUT FRONT EXHAUST TUBE
3 - JK20B WASHER-LOCK
4 - 32U00 WASHER-SEAL
3 - AH00A BOLT-FIX PROPELLER SHAFT
2 - JK00B GASKET-EXHAUST
1 - 8H30A GASKET-EXHAUST
1 - 5CA0A GASKET-ADAPTER
1 - 5CA1B TUBE-T/C OIL FEED
1 - 5CA0A GASKET-WATER INLET (13050)
1 - 5CA0A GASKET CONVERTER
1 - 5CA1A TUBE-T/C OIL FEED
1 - 5CA0A GASKET-WATER INLET (13049)
1 - N823A O-RING-A/C
2 - 5CA0A GASKET-MANIFOLD TO CYLINDER HEAD
1 - 5CA2A WASHER OUTLET
1 - N823A SEAL O-RING
1 - 4HK0A GASKET-WATER PUMP
1 - 19U0A GASKET-EXHAUST
2 - 00062 NUT-SELF LOCK
1 - 00521 CLIP
4 - CG10A BOLT-FIX PROPELLER SHAFT
6 - MOBIL 1 0W20 AFE API
4 - AL60A NUT FIX PROPELLER SHAFT
4 - AL60A BOLT
1 - AD200 GASKET
1 - 6HN4A ENGINE BARE

· Super Moderator
4,224 Posts
Just curious what the total "cost" was?
$0.00 - I dropped my Q off at the dealership with 8 days left on the 6-yr/70k Powertrain Warranty, which expired on 11/16. The turbos started to whistle under boost in October.

· Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
385 Posts
$0.00 - I dropped my Q off at the dealership with 8 days left on the 6-yr/70k Powertrain Warranty, which expired on 11/16. The turbos started to whistle under boost in October.
No, I mean what was the cost of the parts? I know you didn't have to pay anything but the invoice lists the cost of each part doesn't it? Just wondering what it would have cost if it wasn't covered under warranty.

· Super Moderator
4,224 Posts
No, I mean what was the cost of the parts? I know you didn't have to pay anything but the invoice lists the cost of each part doesn't it? Just wondering what it would have cost if it wasn't covered under warranty.
Unknown for individual parts. However, under "SA Notes", the revised estimate is $37,122.60.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,367 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: BigHeadClan

· Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,015 ·
Unknown for individual parts. However, under "SA Notes", the revised estimate is $37,122.60.
That numbers with a motor replacement from what I've seen.

· Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake /also stillen Gen 2 long tube intake-
1,077 Posts
Whoa!!,,,it's more than a low mileage 2019-2020 RS

· Registered
Rochester, NY
305 Posts
Whoa!!,,,it's more than a low mileage 2019-2020 RS
If you can find a good low mileage 2019-2020 RS for $37k that’s pretty darn good! To your point though, that’s crazy money for a repair!

· Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,018 ·
We've already seen it here from others that that price includes a new motor. It's not just new turbos.

· Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake /also stillen Gen 2 long tube intake-
1,077 Posts
In NY area,,several are available now at 40k miles,,or less-32-34,900 seems prices are going lower than the highs of last 1-2 years...

· Registered
49 Posts
I just had both turbos replaced under warranty. I just got the car back today.
My 2017 Premium has only 44K miles.
My right side wastegate has been noisy at startup since I got the car last year.
I started to hear some whine around September. I used my borescope to check for
oil on the input side. I saw oil pooling in the right turbo. I didn't see much in the left turbo.
On that basis, I took it in to be checked.

Replacing them under warranty almost didn't happen...
It turned out that my "In Service Date" was actually November 18th.
I took it in on December 5th. Fortunately, they still covered it on a one-time basis.
I thought my "In Service Date" was late December based on when it was first registered
and other CarFax info. Evidently, the dealer started the warranty much earlier.
I intended to take it in... in October... in case my info was off.
(How do you like that... I used the word "in" in 3 out of 4 words of that "sentence"!)
However, various other events preempted that.
The lesson here it to find out exactly what your "In Service Data" is whenever
you acquire a used car. I thought I had a reasonable buffer.

The exact total to replace them both was around $7800. I only saw the number briefly
on some docs I signed. The numbers are not on the paperwork I received.

Reactions: BigHeadClan
1001 - 1020 of 1097 Posts