Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1097 Posts

· Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake /also stillen Gen 2 long tube intake-
1,077 Posts
One of the lower dollar total repair bills I've seen for work like that,,glad you got your car fixed under warranty..

· Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,022 ·
I just had both turbos replaced under warranty. I just got the car back today.
My 2017 Premium has only 44K miles.
My right side wastegate has been noisy at startup since I got the car last year.
I started to hear some whine around September. I used my borescope to check for
oil on the input side. I saw oil pooling in the right turbo. I didn't see much in the left turbo.
On that basis, I took it in to be checked.

Replacing them under warranty almost didn't happen...
It turned out that my "In Service Date" was actually November 18th.
I took it in on December 5th. Fortunately, they still covered it on a one-time basis.
I thought my "In Service Date" was late December based on when it was first registered
and other CarFax info. Evidently, the dealer started the warranty much earlier.
I intended to take it in... in October... in case my info was off.
(How do you like that... I used the word "in" in 3 out of 4 words of that "sentence"!)
However, various other events preempted that.
The lesson here it to find out exactly what your "In Service Data" is whenever
you acquire a used car. I thought I had a reasonable buffer.

The exact total to replace them both was around $7800. I only saw the number briefly
on some docs I signed. The numbers are not on the paperwork I received.
That's about right for warranty cost of swapping both turbos. Updated the list.

· Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone,
I've leased a 2017 Q50RS from 7-2017 to 10-2020. That thing was temperamental to say the least!
By the time i gave it back (with about 25Kmiles), both turbos were whistling & wastegates rattled upon start-up.

Since Oct 10th, i'm a lucky owner of a mid-2019 Q50s.
Before i took delivery, the car had both turbos replaced, as well as the water pump.
The mileage was about 26Kmiles.

The receipt with part #s are attached.

Attachments

· Registered
15 Posts
Even with the new turbos & water pump I've been hearing a lower frequency whine after the car's warmed up.
It's def not the turbos (I know what those sound like), it almost sounds like a whiny water pump or AC compressor.

Holding off on going to the dealer for that. The car runs great otherwise!🤞

Already done some moddage:
-Z1 Master Cylinder Brace
-Z1 Oil Catch can
-Z1 Rear Sway Bar
-Z1 Heat Exchanger
-Z1 Aluminum Undershroud
-AAM Competition Resonated LDPs

· Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake /also stillen Gen 2 long tube intake-
1,077 Posts
Sounds like your good,,,and keep coming back for more!

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Oooph,,my post hit late,,sorry to hear your back facing service dept

· Premium Member
2019 Q50S (Silver Sport)
110 Posts
It official. Attached is my notification from my service guy. I’ll update with more details when I get my car back. I’m at about 31,000 miles and under CPO warranty. Only mod I have is AMS HE.
Product Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

· Registered
Rochester, NY
305 Posts
Even with the new turbos & water pump I've been hearing a lower frequency whine after the car's warmed up.
It's def not the turbos (I know what those sound like), it almost sounds like a whiny water pump or AC compressor.

Holding off on going to the dealer for that. The car runs great otherwise!🤞

Already done some moddage:
-Z1 Master Cylinder Brace
-Z1 Oil Catch can
-Z1 Rear Sway Bar
-Z1 Heat Exchanger
-Z1 Aluminum Undershroud
-AAM Competition Resonated LDPs
Is your 2019 a Red Sport?

· Registered
2,708 Posts
Is your 2019 a Red Sport?
He lists a sport in his signature.

If you comb thru this thread, you'll find no trend sport vs red sport vs non sport vs mods. The turbos just fail. The question is the longevity of the replacements. There have been a handful of replacements being done more than once, but not many.

· Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,032 ·
It really looks like the turbos just fail, regardless of tirm/mods/boost levels. I thought i'd be in the clear with a 3/2019 build date, but it wasn't immune.
This guy gets it. The majority of owners don't realize their turbos need to be replaced because they're catted and/or don't mod enough to know the difference. MOST cars don't lose performance, the noise is their only indication if they even bother to pay attention.

· Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,033 ·
It official. Attached is my notification from my service guy. I’ll update with more details when I get my car back. I’m at about 31,000 miles and under CPO warranty. Only mod I have is AMS HE.
When you post up details in the format of post 1 and confirm you're getting new turbos, then I'll include in the list.

· Premium Member
2019 Q50S (Silver Sport)
110 Posts
When you post up details in the format of post 1 and confirm you're getting new turbos, then I'll include in the list.
Will do. Thanks for making this thread.

Reactions: Ddnspider

· Premium Member
2019 Q50S (Silver Sport)
110 Posts
He lists a sport in his signature.

If you comb thru this thread, you'll find no trend sport vs red sport vs non sport vs mods. The turbos just fail. The question is the longevity of the replacements. There have been a handful of replacements being done more than once, but not many.
I was getting ready to do more mods but now I am cautious, hoping my replacement turbos will last. I think longevity of the replacements is the big unknown. Hoping for the best. Was hoping to mod the car and keep it for awhile. I’ll see how she does in the next few months after I get it back before moving on with more mods.

· Registered
1,567 Posts
This is a far more worthy of a class action lawsuit than anything else. It's inexcusable that this many turbos have failed. This thread doesn't even account for the people on other social media platforms with dead turbos.

This is WAY more prevalent than the M96/97 engines with their IMS bearing failures. Porsche was forced to admit that they had an 8% failure rate on those engines from 01-05, EIGHT PERCENT. That is unacceptable from a mfg standpoint. Porsche lied and purposely hid the truth. LN engineering sold something like 20,000 ims kits in the follow years, if that gives you an idea of what 8% failure looks like.

· Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,037 ·
This is a far more worthy of a class action lawsuit than anything else. It's inexcusable that this many turbos have failed. This thread doesn't even account for the people on other social media platforms with dead turbos.

This is WAY more prevalent than the M96/97 engines with their IMS bearing failures. Porsche was forced to admit that they had an 8% failure rate on those engines from 01-05, EIGHT PERCENT. That is unacceptable from a mfg standpoint. Porsche lied and purposely hid the truth. LN engineering sold something like 20,000 ims kits in the follow years, if that gives you an idea of what 8% failure looks like.
Who knows, maybe it'll happen 1 day and this thread will be used as evidence.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Every time someone gets their turbos replaced by Infiniti,,I'm like okay at least they're doing the right thing,. BUT then someone's claim will get denied,,and that is the scary inexcusable factor in owning a 3.0tt,,with this occurring not unusually,,the denial of Infiniti to fix this is a real serious problem...

· Premium Member
678 Posts
It really looks like the turbos just fail, regardless of tirm/mods/boost levels. I thought i'd be in the clear with a 3/2019 build date, but it wasn't immune.
Somebody here told me all turbos fail always...just a matter of when.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Interesting,,unless someone says differently,,will have to accept this as true,,never considered that inevitably tho

1021 - 1040 of 1097 Posts