Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1097 Posts

· Premium Member
678 Posts
Interesting,,unless someone says differently,,will have to accept this as true,,never considered that inevitably tho
🤷‍♂️. Seems more logical than not...so i went with it too.

· Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,042 ·

· Registered
2 Posts
I posted in this thread over a year ago, IIRC, because my 2018 3.0T S started whistling upon acceleration. This was around 30K miles. When I went in for service, they said that is normal and if I'm not seeing a performance decrease then nothing is wrong. I paid the car off recently and have 41K miles currently. Would a whistle develop over time and not be an issue? It is definitely louder than when the turbos spooled when I first got the car. What would you guys recommend? Have someone ride in the car with me from the dealership to recreate the sound? What do you do if they say it is normal?

· Registered
2,708 Posts
I posted in this thread over a year ago, IIRC, because my 2018 3.0T S started whistling upon acceleration. This was around 30K miles. When I went in for service, they said that is normal and if I'm not seeing a performance decrease then nothing is wrong. I paid the car off recently and have 41K miles currently. Would a whistle develop over time and not be an issue? It is definitely louder than when the turbos spooled when I first got the car. What would you guys recommend? Have someone ride in the car with me from the dealership to recreate the sound? What do you do if they say it is normal?
Whistling is an issue and is not normal. It is an identifier of turbo failure. When the turbos ultimately fail to a point of impacting power and driveability from that whistling noise is not known.

If a wheel bearing is making a noise, are we to assume that is normal and wait until the bearing actually fails and lockups of the wheel? No. Noises tell us when something is wrong. They need to replace the turbos.

Reactions: Brianq50sport

· Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,046 ·
Take a look under the car up at the oil returns on the turbos as well as the inlet and outlet of the compressor side of the turbo. Any signs of oil and you have your justification that "isn't just a whistle" that they need to be inspected and replaced.

· Super Moderator
4,224 Posts
In my situation, the whistle under boost not only resulted in new turbos, but a new engine, too. The whistle sound was from the impeller rubbing on the compressor housing, which means it's likely generated metallic bits that were ingested by upstream components, (i.e., Charge Air Coolers) under boost conditions. Did these bits make it to the cylinders? Perhaps, which is why Infiniti performed the engine replacement.

· Registered
1,567 Posts
In my situation, the whistle under boost not only resulted in new turbos, but a new engine, too. The whistle sound was from the impeller rubbing on the compressor housing, which means it's likely generated metallic bits that were ingested by upstream components, (i.e., Charge Air Coolers) under boost conditions. Did these bits make it to the cylinders? Perhaps, which is why Infiniti performed the engine replacement.
agreed. in my case, the service manager said the tech inspected the intercoolers and intake for metal debris. they didnt find anything. im pretty sure i caught it early enough that nothing bad happened. on top of that, i had them perform an oil change before the engine was started as cheap insurance. the car gets fantastic mpg, doesnt make any strange noise, and doesnt leak anything so im sure its ok.

· Registered
1 Posts
At this point it seems like a recall should have been mandatory. Sticky this so everyone doesn't make their own thread every time this happens. These are only the ones whove posted up, let alone all of the ones on FB. When posting include: Year Miles when replaced One or both turbos Mods Boost Oil weight Oil change interval Found a DIY rebuild kit for those interested: Another option from another member on here: VR30 Wastegate Relearn Procedures for those who replace their own turbos. q50adix Year - 2016 Miles when replaced - 35k but it's been leaking since several thousand miles ago One or both turbos - One...updated to both Mods - HX Boost - Stock Symptoms-
  • I noticed the oil since the first time I changed the air intake filters but disregarded it (I thought it was due to blow-by oil on the right side)
  • Over 25k miles later, time to replace the air intake filters again and I saw significant oil pooling on the same spot on the air duct
  • Tech confirmed it's from the turbo as there was no blow-by oil he found on that side
Helterstupid 2017 RS 400 Turbo replaced @ 15000 miles symptoms: running very rich, power loss, poor gas mileage bone stock MapleDom 44k miles, LDP, JB1 @+3. 17 RS. JakefromLI 13k miles, full downpipes, ??? 2018 Platinum Graphite Q60 AWD Q50-Joaquin 2016 Around 49k Both turbos Stock no mods _ TJQ50 16 Q50 Both turbos replaced at 55k miles Had rattle noise on start up. No other symptoms... Diagnosed as bad waste gates. [email protected] 17 Q50 Both turbos at 38490 miles Other warranty work being performed (fuel injectors) and tech noticed oil in both turbos. 5oh_mo 17' RS Both turbos replaced at 48K miles Bad wastegates that I diagnosed when chasing down an exhaust rattle, replaced with R/T turbos. no issues since. Emantresni 2017 Premium 57,000 Miles Bone Stock (Believe it's one turbo, but I plan to call tomorrow to push for them both as I'm not exactly excited about replacing the second on my on dime should it fail) Metallic grinding, clicking/ticking noise above 2,000RPM noticed on cold start up while the car was getting to temp. _ Yifei 2016 3.0T premium 1. I heard weird sound from my driving belt. 2. I checked the coolant level is low. 3. Another symptom is the MPG is so low at around 12.7 MPG. So I sent to dealership. They replaced both of turbos and oxygen sensors. I looked at the invoice they provided me. The total cost for parts is 4700$ without labor. I'm so glad my car is still within warranty. I do not need to pay for any. -------------------- Bapmax 2018. 24000 miles on odometer. 18lbs boost to hear whistle but no whistle at stock levels. Rattle at start up was the key. Both turbos replaced. Covered under warranty. Nleiner 2016 Q50 Silver Sport 40,500 miles Only modification is a muffler delete. Both turbos replaced. Squealing and increased turbo sounds ------------------- Nickdaria Year: 2016 Miles: 29500 Both Turbos Mods: Just a high output alternator for the subs. Nothing serious. Process was really easy. Brought car in for a separate warranty repair (front windows were slow) and mentioned the wastegate made a loud noise. He said they listened to it and agreed it was louder than usual so they are replacing it for free. ------------------------- Q60Khan 2017 q60 55k miles Both turbos Mods: Muffler delete and LDPS all bolt ons no cuts or welds. Services only done at the dealership tho. -------------------- GTA-RS400 Year: 2017 Miles when replaced: approx 27 000 miles / 44 000 km One or both turbos: both Mods: none - bone stock Boost: whatever factory settings are I've recently been hearing a barely-audible squeal between 2500 and 3000 rpm. Only starting hearing it as the weather started improving and having windows down frequently. Frodawg78 Year: 2017 Q50 3.0T AWD Miles when replaced: 36700 miles One or both turbos: both Mods - None Boost - Stock Stopped by dealership thinking I had belt issue with squealing noise. Turns out both turbos are on their way out. Both turbos will be replaced under warranty. Waiting on turbo order from dealership, should be about 2 weeks. --------------- Tony Turbo Year: 2018 Q50 3.0T Miles when replaced: 16000 miles One or both turbos: both Mods - Catback Boost - Stock I noticed a rattle on cold start and took it in to the dealer. It was confirmed to be wastegate rattle, and they are replacing both turbos. ---------------- Chadwide 2016 16k miles Both turbos replaced and then replaced again later on. Stock, no mods. ------------------ Olivier-R 2017 Infiniti Q50 Sport, Whistling noise at 13K miles. Both turbo replaced. -------------- Q50luvr 2018 Q50S, both turbos replaced under warranty at 20,000 miles. ------------------- johnstch 2017 Both None Stock 22k Symptoms: Rattle at startup (assumed this was normal) Coolant loss If it wasn’t for the latter, I never would have known. Had to go back and forth with the dealer about it and bring it back multiple times. They have had the car for a cumulative of 48 days (most of which they were “pressure testing” or “replacing coolant overflow bottle”). If you’re noticing any sarcasm, it’s just hiding my anger. ---------------- Year - 2019 Q50 RS Miles when replaced - ~18k One or both turbos - Both Mods - None, aside from the JB4 I ran for about a year; Map 1/2 Boost - Running JB4 initially ~18psi, more recently stock boost. Symptoms- Hesitation when accelerating, lack of power from ~2500k-4000k rpm Sound of rushing air into cabin on passenger side More recently squeeling/whistling on passenger side. Tech said passenger turbo bearings have failed, saw oil around both turbos. Although the amount of oil wasn't drastic he'd request for both to be replaced. ------------------- MarkC-Q50SS Miles when replaced: 67,000 One or both turbos: both turbos Mods: LDP, resonated rev9 CBE with muffler delete, drop in k&n filter (dry) Boost: stock Symptoms: rattling on cold start, smell of burning coolant periodically when driving. ----------- Syeghyayan23 2019 q50 3.0t Luxe -1st time @5000 miles turbo seal smoke frome exhaust so replaced engine long block 2 turbos etc....not the catalytic converters ..... -2nd time 5000 miles one turbo I think is bad loud whining noise no smoke car still drives.... ----------- PanicRev Year-2016 q50 silver sport Miles-55,000 Mods-Jb4, axle back. Warranty-$7775 bank 1-2 turbos Loud whistling,lack of power. Infiniti unable to “replicate”. Took photos and discovered cracked compressor wheels on both sides. Car still feels gutless compared to my loaner but ill start diagnosing stuff little by little --------------- Infinitiq502016 2016 q50 3.0 premium 61,850 miles Mods: Jb4 with AMS LDP's, fI catback exhaust, AMS cold air intake, AMS H/E, add w1 catch can Symptoms: JB4 registers turbo #1 at 16PSI while turbo #2 will be pushing 14.6 PSI (turbo leak?). On cold starts a rattling sound will happen everytime, I assume to be bad wastegates, squealing sound under acceleration which I think is serpentine belt, smell of burnt oil when car is parked and running inside the cabin. Also notice loss of power time to time from 1.5kRPM-3kRPM ----------- Blueboost 2017 q50 3.0t turbos replaced at 20,000. ------- Cj_iridiumSS Year - 2017 Q50S Miles - 54k Mods - None yet Took my car in for some recall work that hadn't been done yet (got the car a few months ago). I mentioned that there's a whining noise around 2.5k rpm. --------------------------- Batell 2017 Q50S 41,200 miles Both turbos JB4, AMS CAI, FI 2.5in CBE, AMS 3in LDP Power loss, poor fuel mileage, slight squeal at idle despite having the belt replaced ------------------- NikonGuy Year - 2017 Miles when replaced - 27.5K One or both turbos - Both Mods - None Boost - Stock Symptoms- Car was whistling from day of purchase. Took it to dealership first week and they stated everything was ok. Took it back a few months later and they approved turbo replacement. Car actually drove fine, power boost was good. No oil or coolant loss - although WP was replaced during first visit so who knows if that was the culprit. ---------- JsQ50 Year- 2017 Q50S Miles- 41,000 Both turbos Mods- Jb4, Ldp Boost- 18 psi Symptoms- noticed a rattle on startup and high rpm I also noticed blue smoke on startups before I took it in. Started loosing power and mpg. Dealer noted both turbos were leaking oil upon inspection. Everything covered under warranty. ------------ TheNewGuy 2017 Infiniti Q50 Signature Edition 35,070 miles Mods: FDP, Invidia Gemini Catback, Dropbox K&N filters, GTR plugs, Catch Can, Turbo Veeport Pro BOVs, PRERacing tuned and upgraded braking system, standard tuners license on the PCM. Factory Freak with starting horsepower over 410. Both turbos, heard a rattling in the morning during start up, rattle at throttle, whine, "before catch can" oil in the intake intercooler hoses, heavy carbon build up in the oil, both turbos replaced ----------- Moose1507 2017 Redsport RWD 46k LDP, Catback exhaust, Z1 LSD, JB4 Was in my car with it running waiting to go in to work and saw white smoke in my rearview. Took it in to dealer November of 2020 and told them to check turbos. They told me it was probably because the secondary cats were missing I was seeing some extra emissions. I knew they were wrong but they said the turbos were fine. A month ago I heard the squeal at about 2000 rpm upon acceleration and took it back yesterday. Confirmed, 2 blown turbos. Replacing under warranty. Said I should have it back early next week. Acecole 2017 Q60 Premium 49000 miles Both Turbos Covered under warranty purchased car from Carmax and noticed oil leak the next day. Brought the car back to them and they sent the car to Infiniti. Both turbos needed to be replaced along with head gaskets. They also replaced the serpentine belt, and aligned the AC compressor. I really like the car but I may give it back to Carmax since they have a 30 day return policy. The car has been in the shop for 3 weeks after having it for one day. Not a good start. Galactic_Q50 2017 Infiniti Q50 3.0t AWD 58k miles both turbos replaced in June under warranty. Took off intakes to measure to make a boost leak tester and saw oil in the turbos and had a slight rattle on startup that only lasted for like 1-2 seconds. ----------------- '17q50jay 2017 q50 3.0t rwd 40k miles Replaced both turbos late may 2021 Felt loss of boost 2 days after 1st turbos being replaced took car in for service 1,300 miles after both turbos and I just got a call from the service director of Infiniti telling me both turbos and leaking oil and need to be replaced again Greek_VR30 2019 Q60 Luxe 18k miles, jb4 (map 1 or 2) Both turbos replaced under warranty I started hearing some whistling/whining noises starting around ~3k-4k rpm upon acceleration, it was quite quiet though and still drove/accelerated perfectly fine. I took it to the dealer explaining my suspicion and I received a call in the coming days stating both turbos are going to be replaced due to "internal failure" along with the drive belt and belt fan. I've got the car back now and it no longer whistles like it before did upon acceleration. ------ C47v3770 Previous 2018 Sport lease - both turbos replaced at ~34K miles. Could hear "whistling" noise during acceleration Disclaimer: I did oil changes every 10k miles and drove in the Texas heat Current 2018 Luxe - first turbo replaced at 11,500 miles. Second one at ~12,400 miles. Still hear a slight whistling noise when I rev to 3-4K RPMs while parked but I'm over it, will keep driving since I have I bought an extended warranty. First oil change was done at 8.6K by first owner. --------- Time4tini 2016 3.0T Premium 50,000 Both Turbo’s replaced, July 2021 Symptom, belt screech at 3.5k RPM, I assumed it was the infamous accessory belt issue, after dealer gave me priced, decided to do myself. They said it could be the Turbo’s and bring it in. I still hear the screech at 3k~4K RPM, I assumed and correct me if i’m wrong, the belt, etc. would have to be replaced during this fix?!?! ___ Iwantaq50 2016 RWD premium, bought as a CPO with 17K. Belt and AC was realigned within first month. Started hearing a whining sound under boost (around 3K and up when I step on it) at around 24-25K miles and dealer would dismiss it as normal. With time it grew louder. Finally, last week at 50K miles they replaced both turbos under warranty. I had no issues with power or driveability but noise was there under load. Service adviser also commented on the oiled exhaust tips. Brooksbrooks Year: 2018 Miles: 34,000 Mods: stock Boost: stock Symptoms: When in park, revving the engine I hear a rattle. Thought it was a heat shield. Took it into the dealership. They said one turbo wastegate was bad, also said it was consuming oil. They would only replace one turbo. Car is under warranty. Certified used car bought less then a month ago. Still trying to process how I feel about it. ___ Q50SAdam Took my 2017 Q50S in yesterday for cold start rattle on the passenger side. They found the driver side also rattles during revving. The service adviser notified me this morning that they will be replacing both. No engine mods. Only RSR downs and wheel spacers. 27k miles. Purchased the car back in June. ---------- J3remy Year: 2018 Q50 Sport, purchased as a CPO end of June with 27k miles on it. Didn't notice anything during the test drives, but over 2k miles of driving, the squeal got louder and louder. Took it in August 20th and mentioned the squealing of the turbos, and they confirmed a day later it needed both turbos replaced under warranty. --------- PropQ50 2018 q50 signature 36 000 km Stock Problem: Whistle turbo Both turbos remplace september 2021 ------------- Roq50 Model : 2017 q60 premium Miles: 35,000 Mods: LDP, HX, Axle back, JB4 turbos: Both Symptoms: saw white smoke coming out the exhaust. Also was hearing a whistle when accelerating. Getting both turbos replaced. Car was running perfectly fine. But hey free turbos I guess. --------------- n1ck! 2018 49632 Unknown which turbos (if any) are affected Stillen intake and exhaust, Race Chip GTS Stock boost When changing the stock exhaust to the Stillen, oil noted in exhaust pipe. Turbo lag was also noted on several occasions. Took the vehicle into the dealer 11/27 to have several other issues checked - for a sputtering issue under hard acceleration and corner exit; fuel gage may be inaccurate as well. ------- Nickdaria 2016 Q50 Premium AWD Both turbos Warranty covered 41,000 miles --------- 2xiste Year - 2018 Q50 Luxe Miles when replaced - 48,800 One or both turbos - Both Mods - None Boost - Stock Oil in the turbos and had a slight rattle on startup ------------ Rustbeltiridium Year: 2018 q50s Miles when replaced: 41000 One or both turbos: Both Mods: none Boost: stock Symptoms: Started hearing slight whistling at about 2.5k rpm and up under moderate to heavy load. No notable power loss. Checked and found small amount of oil on intake side of both turbos. Confirmed by tech. Dealer replacing under warranty without issue. ---------- Srd555 Year: 2018 Q50 Redsport Miles when replaced: 39220 One or both turbos: Both Mods: None Boost: Stock Oil weight: 0-20W syntretic Oil change interval: 10K (What they recommended) Symptoms: Around 30K miles I noticed a slight squeal/whistle?? between 2.7k - 3K RPMs under load and when the engine was hot. Around the same time I noticed on cold start I had a rattle from under the car for 1/2 a second (My Friend had a BMW and said it sounded like when his wastegate actuator went bad). No power loss, no detectable leaks. ------------- BlaQBetty Year: 2018 Q50 Redsport Miles when replaced: 42,000ish One or both turbos: Both Mods: BOVs Boost: Stock Oil weight: 0-20W syntretic Oil change interval: 5k Symptoms: found thin layer of oil in both ic couplers when I installed bov's. Led to wastegate rattle and whining. Both turbos replaced. ---------- Darren Lewis Year: 2018 Miles when replaced: 52k One or both turbos: Both Mods: AMS LDP, AMS CAI, JB4 Boost: 17 PSI Oil weight: 0W-20 Oil change interval: 5k Symptoms: I heard a whistle coming from the turbo when doing a WOT pull one day. Once it began, I could replicate it every time I got into higher boost. I took it to my dealership who at first stated only one turbo needed replaced, but they ended up coming back and agreed to do both so they didn't have to go back in and replace the other one in the future. ------------- Farrell 2019 Q50 Signature Edition 3.0 RWD 24k Both, from what I have been told No mods Stock boost Manufacture/dealer supplied oil Changed every 9~10k per Carfax history Whistling under boost -------------- Jystanfi Year: 2018 Miles when replaced: 40k One or both turbos: Both Mods: Stock Boost: Stock Oil weight: 0W-20 Oil change interval: 5k Symptoms: After driving for 20 miles on the freeway at a stop light would blow white smoke. Took to Nissan dealer they did not see it, i asked them to keep checking after 3 days they saw it and said Turbos were bad, but since it will be under manuf warranty have to take to Infiniti dealer. They replaced both turbos, water pump and window switches. -------- 8lue400r 2016 q50 rs 74k Leaking turbos, replaced along with motor under warranty. ------------ Chuckie311 2019 LUX AMS Intakes F.I. Full Down Pipes with GESI catalytic converter F.I Cat back AMS Heat Exchanger Auxiliary Intercooler Coolant Expansion HKS BOV Mileage 12,850 Driver side turbo leaking oil 16psi ECUTEK Tune Dealer tried to deny coverage due to aftermarket parts but service advisor called Infiniti corporate and they were told to replace turbo. ---------- xBlitzkeigx 2017 54,500 miles Both turbos replaced LDPs for about 2 months. aFe drop ins Stock boost 0w20 Mobil 1 EP 5K OCI Symptoms started off with excessive (imo, even for a DI engine) soot build up on bumper. This occurred from day one of ownership but I wrote it off as normal DI soot. It progressed in to actual small particles of oil accumulation. It also had the beginning stages of wastegate rattle but it was so minor, I don't think I could have successfully argued in favor of it. It then progressed to light blue smoke at idle after 15+ minute drives. Shortly after, I began to hear what can only be described as a dentist's drill sound under boost when above 2500rpm at engine engine load. ---------- Darien87 2018 Luxe Replaced at 34,000 miles Just the drivers side turbo No engine mods other than K&N filters Noticed loud "air flapping" noise coming from the engine. Sounded like an exhaust leak. Noise was especially loud at start up and then would settle down a bit but was constantly audible. Very noticable when revving the engine. Also would get an exhaust smell from the A/C when first turning it on. -------------------------- Ccenteno 2018 3.0t 40000 miles Passenger side turbo replaced JB4 for about 3 months. PLM HE. AMS intake. Symptoms. I noticed oil in both turbo inlets when installing the AMS intake. Infiniti decided to only replaced the passenger side. They claimed that the drivers side is fine, but I doubt it since there shouldn’t be any oil in the intake pipe. ---------------------- youloze Year - 2018 Miles when replaced - 35k One or both turbos - Both Mods - Stock Boost - Stock Oil weight - OEM Oil change interval - 5K miles Dealer replaced both turbos without hesitation. I requested the tech go on a ride along with me to hear them, but he wasn't concerned about fighting to get them replaced. Also replaced the drive belt and water pump since it has a small weep. ------------- Bwcchus_Plateau 58k miles Noise under boost. Found stuck turbine wheels and bearing material in engine oil. New motor and turbos. ----------- IridiumRS400 2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD 33,500 miles Both turbos (& engine) Ecutek 1.3 bar map 5W30 Valvoline ME & Over-sized OEM oil filter 4-5k OCIs (Note: Most recent UOA showed no elevated wear metals) Whistle under boost about a month or so ago. Compressor blades touching the housing. ---------- RobertB My 2017 Premium has only 44K miles. My right side wastegate has been noisy at startup since I got the car last year. I started to hear some whine around September. I used my borescope to check for oil on the input side. I saw oil pooling in the right turbo. I didn't see much in the left turbo. Both turbos replaced. ------------------- heynow 2017 Lease- By the time i gave it back (with about 25Kmiles), both turbos were whistling & wastegates rattled upon start-up. Since Oct 10th, i'm a lucky owner of a mid-2019 Q50s. Before i took delivery, the car had both turbos replaced, as well as the water pump. The mileage was about 26Kmiles.
2017 Q 3.0t AWD 97,500 miles Getting both turbos replaced for the first time under extended warranty I check my oil and coolant levels about once every 3 days, haven’t noticed anything yet but the turbos are screaming(literally) for replacement

· Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake /also stillen Gen 2 long tube intake-
1,077 Posts
Wow,,,,smart guy,,checking fluids religiously),,happy to hear Warranty God's are smiling on you...

Reactions: BigHeadClan

· Premium Member
4,418 Posts
2017 Q 3.0t AWD 97,500 miles Getting both turbos replaced for the first time under extended warranty I check my oil and coolant levels about once every 3 days, haven’t noticed anything yet but the turbos are screaming(literally) for replacement
If you made it to 90k, that is a win in my book!

I also have an extended warranty to 100k miled.

· Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake /also stillen Gen 2 long tube intake-
1,077 Posts
:unsure: (y) :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
Rochester, NY
305 Posts
Who is your extended warranty thru?

Reactions: veloboy853

· Registered
Rochester, NY
305 Posts
well, this has to be a record:

After having both turbos replaced @ around 26Kmiles (3months & 1,000mi ago). I saw this nice oil leak:

The drv side turbo was leaking oil exteranlly ^^^^^^^^

I went to the dealer with the following results:
That sucks. Sounds like like a defective unit. At least they replaced it without much fanfare. What year and sub-model?

Reactions: heynow

· Registered
Rochester, NY
305 Posts
I have to give major props to Infiniti of West Chester for taking care of me again with 0 BS!
They were also nice enough to make sure to put my Lower DPs back without causing exhaust leaks & were nice enough to ask whether i was tuned or not prior to updating my ECM.
Highly recommend them!
Mod friendly dealer - that’s a keeper!

· Registered
1,077 Posts
WOOOW,,,unbelievable,,good for you new turbo s),,

1041 - 1060 of 1097 Posts