Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,154 Posts
I want to update that the exact source of the coolant mixture was due to bad core (freeze) plugs on both cylinder heads.
Whoa...is this what the porous block issue is in all cases? The issue never made sense to me...how if the block was truly flawed in casting that it wouldn't drink it's own coolant from day 1. This would explain it...that these plugs (which I never knew existed until now) are substandard and are failing after years and tens of thousands of miles.

Reactions: Batell

·
Premium Member
2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport AWD
14 Posts
Did you have 3rd party extended warranty? @Mikeymike11
Yes, however, I did have infiniti certified (used car) warranty until that ended when I hit 75k (4yr/75k). What sucks, when i decided to take it in, I hit 79k(long commute for work for 2yrs) and I just purchased warranty from Fidelity a few months prior (i know there are better ones, was cheap for what they offered). So, that made me look sus. However, the warranty inspector worked with my service advisor in the past, so was told it was a quick conversation and obviously the issue was not caused from neglect/abuse. I gathered all my receipts of purchasing regular maintenance items that I do myself, parts, etc. all ready to go, but was told no need.

Bad news is, Fidelity took me off their warranty, but since I had to pay 8k, as a "deductible", (contract was $100 deductible, but circumstances made it difficult), Infiniti hooked me up w/ a contract for a 2yr/45k warranty on the entire motor including components, w/ free parts/labor. I worked for Nissan in my younger days, I know how much Infiniti made off that 28k, so I knew they had no problem saying yes when I asked if I could purchase warranty from them when the advisor told me Fidelity cut me off.

Reactions: nickdaria

·
Premium Member
2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport AWD
14 Posts
Whoa...is this what the porous block issue is in all cases? The issue never made sense to me...how if the block was truly flawed in casting that it wouldn't drink it's own coolant from day 1. This would explain it...that these plugs (which I never knew existed until now) are substandard and are failing after years and tens of thousands of miles.
You know, maybe it could. I did a little research and asked some older car buddies and my brother who is a machinist for Boeing and has metal casting experience. It sums up that that it could involve those plugs, the surrounding surfaces where they are pressed in, the quality of them, and/or something with the water jackets having porosity (created during casting and/or later developed due to quality). I watched some videos on engine casting to learn more and doing a little more research. Hopefully this gets solved some day, to know how it started. I just hope this doesn't happen again. I will be doing an oil analysis twice a year now, incase it happens again, can catch it early before it gets worse.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts