Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

· Premium Member
4,418 Posts
So even new engines are failing, great. I will be testing before the 12mo/12k mile new engine warranty is up for sure.

And it seems like, for an engine that has been out since 2016 model, they cant fix it and probably wont since they will focus on electrification.
I believe the fault lies with the dealer technicians.

Thise of us who are in factory motor are still putting along.

I am curious as to the percentage of new engines and turbos that have failed after replacement.

I know deep down that when my motor or tubos are done, the car is getting traded in or sold at the dealer.

I refuse to deal with a ticking time bomb.

I will buy a new one or change platforms.

· Registered
2,708 Posts
Lower Downpipe,
13,000mi on engine

Coolant pressure test failed. Went in because I had the same white sweet smelling exhaust smoke as my first engine.

600 miles past engine warranty. They better hope it's approved because if not it's going to be hell for them.

Tired of this ****. Seriously considering a B58.
For what it's worth, I'm on my 3rd set of turbos and all has been well since the last replacement. The first replacement set didn't last long for whatever reason. I've learned not to sweat it and just enjoy the car and engine. Statistically, I figure I'm money ahead now to not have to worry about needing another turbo replacement.

While it's frustrating for you having to deal with this, perhaps 3rd time (engine) is the charm....

Reactions: nickdaria

· Premium Member
'17 AWD Q50SS
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Lower Downpipe,
13,000mi on engine

Coolant pressure test failed. Went in because I had the same white sweet smelling exhaust smoke as my first engine.

600 miles past engine warranty. They better hope it's approved because if not it's going to be hell for them.

Tired of this ****. Seriously considering a B58.
Good lord, keep us posted on the diagnosis. I recently had a hose start leaking, dealership did a coolant flush for me so its off to the dealer I go!

Reactions: nickdaria

· Registered
1,562 Posts
Hey so what did your part # say, and where did you see it? Thanks.
I posted my work invoice on here in my porous block thread a while back. Just hunt for that and it's on there.

· Registered
1,562 Posts
OK I found it, you're referring to the fact your core and bare engine part #s match. I guess that could mean something.
No I am referring to the fact that the part number is superseded by (assumingly) fixed designs/manufacturing processes.

· Registered
21 Q50 RedSport AWD
24 Posts
2016 Red sport
79k miles (Bought car used with 27k in 2019)
Had to refill engine coolant every other day.

I want to say the problem may have been getting worse as time went by since I did notice small amount of coolant missing every month in 2021(didnt go below min. mark, but I know coolant level shouldnt be going down at all unless there's an issue), no leaks, pressure tests conducted 2 times that year, all passed, no white smoke, oil analysis done in July of 2021, negative for coolant in oil.

May('22), loosing coolant every other day. did an oil change, noticed oil was creamy, white cream built on the filler cap, sent sample of oil for analysis. Car didn't overheat, but fans kicked on more frequently, brought into dealership beginning of June for diagnosing.

Sadly, I had over 75k miles at this time, but had warranty with a company, which did make things difficult. After 2 inspectors and inspections by different Infiniti techs, it was determined that I had a porous block & bad turbos...engine internals and block had no cracks/signs of extreme wear, no metal shavings, etc. Oil analysis came back positive of coolant mixed in.

Total bill came to 32k (long block, turbos, labor). Had to pay 5k, warranty company wanted to replace using a used motor, but after arguing(infiniti service writer helped) new motor was determined. Dealer did hook me with all new engine components (wasnt included in original RO), didn't charge me the loaner I had for over a month, gave me extended warranty and other small goodies that made paying 5k worth it since the repairs did cost more than what the car was currently worth. I just got the car back on July 25th, brought it in June 7th. Once things were approved, took 1 week.

Mods - JB4 (disabled unless I was going to "race" someone, or when i wanted to have a little fun). LDPs, Y-pipe, AMS intakes.
Glad it got resolved. Did you take off the jb4, ldp, y-pipes, ams intakes --- basically returning the car to stock before taking it into the dealership?

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,706 Posts
Guess I can officially register mine now!

2018 Luxe
69,200 Miles - Stock Hertz Rental until 30k then JB4 after I bought it. Map 5 for about 1 year, then +9psi with WMI
Subtle loss of coolant - Confirmed the problems with Blackstone Labs testing
Returned to stock for Dealer visit.
New Engine and Turbos fully covered by powertrain warranty.

View attachment 112420

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
Guess I can officially register mine now!

2018 Luxe
69,200 Miles - Stock Hertz Rental until 30k then JB4 after I bought it. Map 5 for about 1 year, then +9psi with WMI
Subtle loss of coolant - Confirmed the problems with Blackstone Labs testing
Returned to stock for Dealer visit.
New Engine and Turbos fully covered by powertrain warranty.

View attachment 112420
There's this thing called photo rotation. Ever heard of it?

· Registered
2,708 Posts

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,706 Posts
In this case it won't matter. I'll be doing an early oil change on it at about 1000 miles. That said, I would use Mobil Super with confidence for a full interval which form me is about 5000 miles. I usually just buy the best priced name brand full Syn for my newer/main vehicles. For my kids old vehicles I use Supertech or a house brand (Oriley, Advance Auto, etc) full synthetic.

· Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
230 Posts
  • Year - 2018
  • Mileage when replaced - 62088
  • Symptoms - coolant leak above driver's side motor mount due to porous block (tech write-up)
  • Water pump also? Y
  • Mods - RaceChip GTS, Z1 HKS BOV, HKS LDP, Stillen intake/exhaust, Z1 oil cooler, Infiniti/AMS expansion tanks and radiator

· Premium Member
'17 AWD Q50SS
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
  • Year - 2018
  • Mileage when replaced - 62088
  • Symptoms - coolant leak above driver's side motor mount due to porous block (tech write-up)
  • Water pump also? Y
  • Mods - RaceChip GTS, Z1 HKS BOV, HKS LDP, Stillen intake/exhaust, Z1 oil cooler, Infiniti/AMS expansion tanks and radiator
Ouch

81 - 95 of 95 Posts