Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only solace that Infiniti can take from the recent Consumer reports review of its Q50 sedan is that the Lexus IS did even worse.

Consumer Reports calls the Infiniti Q50 an attractive, high-tech package that just doesn't deliver driving feel. The Lexus IS (AWD 250) was deemed even worse -- neither sporty nor luxurious.

The review actually recommends that you buy the G37 sedan out of all the Japanese luxury sedan offerings, especially since now it is cheaper.

"Neither model lived up to expectations, and both ended up anchored at the bottom of our upscale-sedans category."

See for yourself by following this link: Infiniti Q50 vs. Lexus IS 250 - Consumer Reports Road Test

I feel like these words are bound to stir up some controversy.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
This statement from the review, " And, despite aiming for a more luxurious persona, it doesn’t match the G’s ride comfort or easy-to-use controls." really got me scratching my head. I drove 2 G37 loaner and it's the total opposite. I wonder if the reviewer is smoking crack, LOL.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
This is a joke. Consumer Reports should stick to reviewing laptops and cell phones. Clearly they're out of their league when it comes to cars:

"Consumer Reports said the Inifiniti Q50 did very good in the CR road tests."...

'Consumer Reports said, "The Q50 isn't as much fun to drive as the G37. Handling is mundane, due in part to dull steering. The underwhelming driving experience strips the car of much of its sporty legacy."

The CR auto team did praise the Q50 as "very quick, even with the added weight of the optional all-wheel-drive system."'

Is this not contradictory? If they felt it was necessary to trash the car by "not recommending it", then at least clearly lay out the specific reasons why; otherwise, it's a baseless opinion. As the Lexus spokesperson stated, '"Lexus is unclear on the cause for the low rating. We look forward to engaging in a discussion with them to get more direct feedback on their experience with the car. The 2014 IS sedan is resonating extremely well with customers, automotive and other non-automotive publications."' Sounds like the car manufacturers are confused, too.

This article goes a bit more into detail about the CR review:
Ouch: Consumer Reports Can't Recommend 2014 Lexus IS 250, Infiniti Q50
"The magazine said that the Q50 doesn't offer an especially smooth ride, nor is its cabin very quiet (or well-appointed). Marks were also taken off for the sluggish performance of its InTouch infotainment system."

They still praise the G, however, saying the Q50 is worse. Maybe I'm smoking something serious, but my Q is way quieter and the ride is absolutely smoother with the enhanced suspension--compared to my G. The InTouch issues we all know about, but the cabin not well-appointed? First time I heard that one. I suppose this is why I never subscribe to CR. This is clear proof that even Yelp is more reliable than CR.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I've made this point a few times now regarding "professional" reviews.

If you don't get a good, thorough introduction to this car during "delivery," you're not going to understand the features, functions and capabilities of this car. And your initial impressions are going to be skewed by the fact you don't understand why the car is behaving as it is at certain times.

Up until now I've blamed it on Infiniti's PR people not ensuring that journalists get a thorough delivery, like I give my customers. But in the case of Consumer Reports, they get their delivery from a local dealer. CU buys their cars somewhere near their White Plains, NY office just like any customer would. The other point I've articulated repeatedly on here is that you actually get what you pay for when it comes to your salesperson. If they're incompetent, you're not going to get a good delivery. I'd bet money on two things here. 1) whoever they bought the car from is not as good as he/she should be, and 2) only one or two people benefitted from the delivery - the rest of the people testing the car just sat in the car and tried to figure it out on their own or relied on second hand instruction from the original purchaser.

The quiet cabin one is weird though. I've not driven a single Q50 that noisier than a G37.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Strange.... And I preface this with "it was my fault"...

When I went to the dealer I was prepared to lease a fully loaded g37x (for 249/month, 2yrs), which was the car I test drove. Within 5 mins. of driving, I had a stupid grin on my face! Everything felt right, the acceleration, exhaust note, engine growl... I took a couple of curves and the **** thing felt like it was glued to rails...

...my wife (surprisingly) insisted that I go for the Q50, since it was the lastest model, I say surprisingly because it was more money.. So what the heck, I signed up for the q50, without test driving it, because I felt it had to be just as good if not better right? Well, it's a very nice car, much smoother than I remember the G being, quieter cabin, more room, love the LED lighting (wish the license plate light was LED! WTH!?!?) etc.. BUT, and maybe this is because I dont have the S model just the premium, it has a different 'feel' to it than the G... Now dont get me wrong, I love the car, and I'm still trying to give it some time because I want to do a thorough break in before pushing the car. But right now if it was between the G37 and the Q50, I might go with the G...

I have a feeling the Q has the potential to morph into something special on the next model (2015,2016?)...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Consumer Distorts are a bunch of 'tards. Take any of their reviews, in areas where you have specific knowledge, and you'll find them ridiculous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Strange.... And I preface this with "it was my fault"...

When I went to the dealer I was prepared to lease a fully loaded g37x (for 249/month, 2yrs), which was the car I test drove. Within 5 mins. of driving, I had a stupid grin on my face! Everything felt right, the acceleration, exhaust note, engine growl... I took a couple of curves and the **** thing felt like it was glued to rails...

...my wife (surprisingly) insisted that I go for the Q50, since it was the lastest model, I say surprisingly because it was more money.. So what the heck, I signed up for the q50, without test driving it, because I felt it had to be just as good if not better right? Well, it's a very nice car, much smoother than I remember the G being, quieter cabin, more room, love the LED lighting (wish the license plate light was LED! WTH!?!?) etc.. BUT, and maybe this is because I dont have the S model just the premium, it has a different 'feel' to it than the G... Now dont get me wrong, I love the car, and I'm still trying to give it some time because I want to do a thorough break in before pushing the car. But right now if it was between the G37 and the Q50, I might go with the G...

I have a feeling the Q has the potential to morph into something special on the next model (2015,2016?)...
I agree. I own a 2008 G35 with 100k miles. This was my second G, I had 2004 G35 for 4 years which I replaced in 2008. I was eagerly awaiting for a new G that became a new Q50 to replace my current car hoping to get a new direct injection engine and other mechanical improvements. When I rushed to the dealer to test drive the Q I was surprisingly disappointed . After 6 years in development all Infiniti did were some evolutionary changes in design and a lot of added nanny (not nano...) technology. I love to drive and these "lane departure warning" and other costly stuff that takes off the joy of operating just don't appeal to me. Yes it has slightly better sound insulation, better cabin and newer look. Is that enough for a car six years in development?
Of course the CR was too rough by "not recommending" it. It's a decent car. But for the money? I don't think so

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Uh, wasn't the biggest complaint about the G, the "harshness" of the car? All the reviews always mentioned "NVH," and how it wasn't as good as other cars. Now, they're saying that the G's NVH is better? Give me a break!
That is what I was thinking. I think that I am done with reviews of any sort for any items here on out. The best way to get to know what actually meets your needs and what you like will be to ask real life owners of the product that you are looking to buy and testing things out for yourself.

I keep thinking that I missed something, because I love my Q50 and enjoy a lot of things about it. And it's fun to drive!:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Unfortunately, bad CR reviews will hurt resale on the Q. They loved the G37 because while a bit coarse, it was a tried and proven design with bullet-proof reliability. Perhaps they will cut both cars some slack as they mature. Everyone knows CR is typically somewhat biased towards Japanese makes, so the poor review is definitely a surprise. The BMW Fanbois will have a field day with this one...

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Unfortunately, bad CR reviews will hurt resale on the Q. They loved the G37 because while a bit coarse, it was a tried and proven design with bullet-proof reliability. Perhaps they will cut both cars some slack as they mature. Everyone knows CR is typically somewhat biased towards Japanese makes, so the poor review is definitely a surprise. The BMW Fanbois will have a field day with this one...
Totally disagree about CR hurting resale value. CR is a subscription consumer product rating service with a single subjective opinion. Some subscribe to their opinions (like maybe my 8th grade school teacher), while the rest of us in the Tech Age read countless other reviews before making such an important purchase. It might hurt sales now, but we just don't know. If it was as simple as taking a CR review as the barometer for value, then there would be no Wall St. :) Resale values will be just fine once these annoying InTouch issues become forgotten about. In terms of reliability of the Q50, it has to be regarded minimally as reliable the G. Quality is embedded into the fabric of a company. Are we to expect the critically-important Q50 to be any less bulletproof than the G?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Registered
348 Posts
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.