Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think CR was giving a lazy review on Q50 and the only negative thing they are referring is that Q50 is losing its sportiness because they are comparing it against Raw G sedan. One thing I don't agree is that G interior quality is better and Q50 is downgrade. I am not sure what they meant. Are they referring to leatherette? I think Q50 leatherette is still very good.

I haven't tested drive the new IS but I am not sure what they meant by fall short!

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I think they lazily reviewed both cars. Neither is nearly as bad as they say. At the same time, they gave a solid review to the facelifted E-class, which after getting a chance to drive I took to be as spectacular as they say (98/100)... I wish they would have been so fair toward the Q50 and IS. They probably should have been at least in the 80-90 range.

Without driving them, I have a slight tendency to gravitate toward the Q50 versus the IS, but that doesn't count for much. The Q50 has the interior fit-and-finish advantage though- that much was clear to me in Chicago.

The interior beef that they had was directed toward a single Q50: the one they bought. It had some plastic trim misalignment in places that most people wouldn't bother to look, such as the base that houses the seat controls and the driver's side C-pillar. I have not seen any such misalignment in the several Q50's that I've sat in to this point. It's almost as if they tested a pre-production prototype...

They also complained about the switch to hard plastic on the lower doors by the map pockets, which was soft-touch in the G37. I feel that this is more than balanced out by the stitched leatherette on the console, as well as much higher-quality, smoother and less shiny soft plastics elsewhere. The grains and textures are much better in the Q50 than they were in the G- almost German-car quality.

I don't see them complaining about the hard plastic in their new highest-scoring (until the E250 Bluetec dethroned it, that is) luxury sedan, the Audi A6. There is a lot of hard plastic in there: on the console, the glovebox door, and door cards. I can't explain the discrepancy in interior scoring here. Maybe the person judging the A6 was tired or a bit drunk.:eek:

·
Registered
444 Posts
The IS 250 was on the avoid list, the IS350/Fsport was highly praised, with the condition it really needs an engine refresh. Back to the IS250/F...its a dog, very slow not sporty and completely overpriced. Not to mention the MPG is abysmal for such a snail.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The IS 250 was on the avoid list, the IS350/Fsport was highly praised, with the condition it really needs an engine refresh. Back to the IS250/F...its a dog, very slow not sporty and completely overpriced. Not to mention the MPG is abysmal for such a snail.
I didn't know because I was about to say the 350 F was motortrends or car and drivers top pick right.

But lordy, the 250 can't be that bad then I would imagine.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
The sad thing is, they sell a GS250 in Japan. The GS350 needs more hp to take advantage of its chassis the way it stands, but it gets the same 306hp mill the IS gets in a smaller and lighter package.

Toyota/Lexus needs to get over their gentlemen's agreement engine options, nobody in Japan does that anymore.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Funny, you think they might have learned from Infiniti's example with the now-defunct G25.

Smaller engine, barely any extra mpg, hampered option list, barely any $$$ savings over a G37. No wonder why they didnt sell.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Haha, the poor G25, barely lasted a single year. It might have been good for Japan or Europe, but North America doesn't pay as much for fuel and demands hp. You can't sell a sports sedan/coupe these days with a tiny V6 and no boost.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
CR is basing it based on volume cars and only a driver enthusiast that cares about 350 (even the best car they picked is BMW 325)... The sale for IS350 is not much... even BMW is now moving toward more to less sporty car to target volume. Soon, the driving will be boring and becoming more autonomous. Sport cars like Porche will be even more expensive to produce. I rarely see IS350 in this area but almost 5 seconds I see IS 250.
To make it even more interesting, for all my friends here, only two of us that care about driving dynamic and more spirited driving. All of them is buying Acura MDX or all lexus or Merc.

Infiniti tries to come up with G25 but it was a total failure. I agree the gas saving is not much compared to smaller engine but it pays off in the long term if you drive alot especially in this area (SF bay area). Living here, we got so much bill to pay. Now I am starting to regret not getting hybrid especially Torque at 0.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Consumer reports are for morons. The very moment they bashed the Q50/IS.. both cars sold over 5000 Units in the following month.

Over the last 2 months I think both the IS and Q50 topped 9000 units or close enough.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well what they didn't like about the IS 250 was the "value". It really is a complete rip off in comparison with the IS350. Especially when you are talking f sport. Transmission, suspension, mpg and on and on. I actually agree with them on this one.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well what they didn't like about the IS 250 was the "value". It really is a complete rip off in comparison with the IS350. Especially when you are talking f sport. Transmission, suspension, mpg and on and on. I actually agree with them on this one.
I see the same as ToInfiniti.
Many many more 250's than 350's.

But who knows.. it may be a different type of person getting the 250.
Not everyone needs a super fast car.
And the 250 is eye appealing.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
yeah... as sara said, "CR is for moron". :D
People spent 250 because they just want the emblem and upgrade their interior to nice one. They don't care what the car can do that's why they need generic stuff like interior noise, etc to be told to them. However, if you look into Q50 review, their review is super lazy...no content at all other than comparing it to G. So to me, they see G as a bargain sport car but Q is another animal that should be reviewed differently, not comparing it. Enough said, if you are driving enthusiast, don't look for CR. If you need a car from point A to point B and depending on the value, go for it.

Bay Area is full of fancy cars but Lexus 350 or IS F are barely seen here but IS 250 is like ant swarm... Even tesla S is like every 5 minutes on the way to work.
What's funny. I never really looked infiniti sedan beyond G before but since Q50, I have noticed there are plenty of earlier Qs on the roads and I am impressed all of them are still looking good....

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Before buying my Q50, I went to Infiniti to test drive a hold over 2013 G37x sedan. Being that the dealership group also has a Lexus dealer, we actually drove the G37x to the Lexus dealer, jumped in to an IS350 F Sport and test drove it. Hands down bettern than the G37x. Felt faster, more refined, although the ride was much stiffer, and much more road noise, but the technology was that much better.

Drove the G37x back to the Infiniti dealer and he convinced me to jump in to a Q50. After just driving the IS350-F just 15 minutes before, I can honestly say the Q50 has a much better ride, was significantly more quiet, and by the seat of my pants felt faster. I flogged them all through the same on-ramp on the interstate, and jump on the throttle up to around 80-85 MPH before rolling off.

The other thing was visibility. The IS350 sucked. Hard to see out the back and sides and the A-pillar was in the way, seemed to large. The LCD screen in the IS350 is also recessed a bit high on the dash, making it hard to rear, and the way the controls are laid out, I felt like I was laying in to the car, with the dash coming way forward on me.

The interior of the IS350-F was better than the Q50, in terms of "polish". The red/black leather interior with the white IS350-F is unreal in it's appearance, really an eye catcher, and it just felt more refined.

I was looking for "fast" yet "refined" in a car. I compared the Q50, 3 series BMW, G37x, IS350-F, Audi A4/S4, and Subaru WRX STi (for my kid at heart). There were others I dropped off and after talking to a real "winner" at Audi, I crossed them off my list, didn't like the sales attitude of "the car is here, you pay more".

In the end it was down to the Q50 and IS350-F. But the Q50 just felt better all around, not to mention I got a program car with 5500 miles on it for a real deal...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't even get why the IS350-F is always compared to the Q50. They seem like such different cars to me.

I wanted to like the IS350-F, but it's too small and I hate the layout of their interiors. The exterior design is okay, but the wheels seem small or something. It just looks like a compact car and the engine could use some more horses.

To me it was either a taking a step down to the Lexus or spending a ton more and often getting less for a bmw or audi or just waiting for the next generation of the maxima and going the route of a lot less for a decent car. So far I'm happy with the Infiniti.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Consumer RipOrts

+1 on that... Only lame people look into that or people who actually paid to CR before buying things :eek:
Darn, you guys made me part of that club now after checking it last night.
CR is like Toyota Avalon (before new generation which I kond of like) - big soggy AmeriKanish feeling car with presumed inexistening Japs quality for Old Farts who do not suspect that Internet was invented few days ago

Reactions: toinfiniti

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I think CR was giving a lazy review on Q50 and the only negative thing they are referring is that Q50 is losing its sportiness because they are comparing it against Raw G sedan. One thing I don't agree is that G interior quality is better and Q50 is downgrade. I am not sure what they meant. Are they referring to leatherette? I think Q50 leatherette is still very good.

I haven't tested drive the new IS but I am not sure what they meant by fall short!
Just the fact that they said the Q50 interior was a downgrade from the G tells me all I need to know about the intelligence of the person writing the article and how much their opinion just doesn't matter.

I saw a video one time where they were talking to a bunch of writers at a car magazine and was surprised with some of the stuff they didn't know about some cars off the top of their heads.

Point is, you don't exactly have to be a genius to write about cars.

As for the Lexus IS, very little of that car changed from '13 to '14. CR needs to start doing reviews on crack because they're obviously smoking it.

Reactions: Klamalama

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
The sad thing is, they sell a GS250 in Japan. The GS350 needs more hp to take advantage of its chassis the way it stands, but it gets the same 306hp mill the IS gets in a smaller and lighter package.

Toyota/Lexus needs to get over their gentlemen's agreement engine options, nobody in Japan does that anymore.
Lexus needs to really get their sh*t together and make a GS450h and LS600h that actually have a substantial performance edge over the GS350 and LS460. They need something that will compete against a 550i and 750i because right now they don't have it. I'm not an engineer, but something tells me they will never be able to make performance hybrids if they stick to this goofy architecture they're using. Porsche, BMW, and Infiniti hybrids all have essentially the same design. Lexus is the odd one out and look at the result. An LS600h L that's slow (for the category) and gets a whopping extra 3 mpg in the city, but costs $40,000 more than the LS460 L AWD. How is that price tag justified?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.