Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to order my wheels and tires today, came down to these two for tires. I've ran the Michelin's before, but the Contidentals are about $100 cheaper and lighter by 4lbs a tire. Are the Michelins worth the extra weight and slight cost?

· Premium Member
Allen, Texas
1,024 Posts
I had the DWS 06’s and am currently running DWS 06+’s - big fan.

· Premium Member
662 Posts
What does the + represent?

· Premium Member
Allen, Texas
1,024 Posts
Wear on the 06’s (which replaced the OEM RFTs) - got to @ 6/32’s after 30k. I swapped them out for the newer 06+’s (and a bit wider tire when I swapped out my OEM 19” wheels.)

· Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does the + represent?
"The ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus is the successor to the popular ExtremeContact™DWS06 with improvement in all key performance areas including enhanced dry and wet handling, improved braking, and improved snow and ice performance"

I think it's a new version with a better compound. Seems like they didn't want to drop the DWS06 name so added a plus to signify the difference to me.

· Premium Member
662 Posts
TY

· Premium Member
904 Posts
not a fan of the continental DWS06 as the handling was very poor and steering control was not precise. I think it had something to do with the way the tread compound is designed and patterned. I would go with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s or the All season 4s which are a little cheaper than the 4s sport regular.

· Premium Member
662 Posts
I feel confident nobody tracks me here, but, heretofore, any questions about shoes woll be in the context of sticky as the priority, with the understanding that hydroplaning is not preferred. Ha

TY

· Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not a fan of the continental DWS06 as the handling was very poor and steering control was not precise. I think it had something to do with the way the tread compound is designed and patterned. I would go with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s or the All season 4s which are a little cheaper than the 4s sport regular.
Like a mushy feeling? Or it simply just didn't grip well?

· Premium Member
904 Posts
Like a mushy feeling? Or it simply just didn't grip well?
No it simply just didn’t grip well which made the steering wander on the road. Plus it gave the steering wheel a very light nimble feel which I didn’t like. I believe it was due to the way the center contact patch is designed. It’s very different from many other top brand tires.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

· Premium Member
662 Posts

· Premium Member
904 Posts
It’s a high performance Summer tire with 340 tread wear and 30,000 mile warranty that will offer a better and smooth precise handling ride in comparison to the all season DWS06 plus. Her3 are some reviews on both tire’s. Now keep in mind the DWS06 are great daily tires but not to be pushed or tracked like a summer tire. Also if you drive spirited from time to time this would be less ideal in the DWS06 I would say. Also the reason why the handling was not all that great was becuase the higher the tread rate, the less precision you get. Which is why summer tires have less tread depth to begin with which is usually a maximum of 340.

Continental ExtremeContact Sport vs Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

· Premium Member
662 Posts
It’s a high performance Summer tire with 340 tread wear and 30,000 mile warranty that will offer a better and smooth precise handling ride in comparison to the all season DWS06 plus. Her3 are some reviews on both tire’s. Now keep in mind the DWS06 are great daily tires but not to be pushed or tracked like a summer tire. Also if you drive spirited from time to time this would be less ideal in the DWS06 I would say. Also the reason why the handling was not all that great was becuase the higher the tread rate, the less precision you get. Which is why summer tires have less tread depth to begin with which is usually a maximum of 340.

Tread rate, huh? I guess tread depth would be interchangeable here. So more hipo the tire, less tread (and in most cases) that will wear more quickly. Correct?

· Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Having read the thread (ty for link) I'm slightly leaning at rebuying the Michelins. My only hang up is the 4lb difference per tire.

· Premium Member
662 Posts
Having read the thread (ty for link) I'm slightly leaning at rebuying the Michelins. My only hang up is the 4lb difference per tire.
It doesn't show tune or bolt ons are on your car in sig, but from someone who now has (WAY) more power than i can 0stick to the ground. Weight performance a little heavier in your safety vs wear equation.

Gotta bounce and run errands like a grandma with a Honda....cold weather on Dunlops. Ha

1 - 20 of 40 Posts