Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
'17 SS
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
Just came back from an oil change on my 2017 Q50S. I got quoted $510 for a coolant leak from the thermostat multi-way control valve housing.
I have a few questions:
Is this common for the VR30?
Can I fix it myself?
Does anyone know the fix for this??
I attached photos of the issue, as well as the quote. Please let me know!

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,858 Posts
First off, that's not the thermostat in the pictures you posted. Here's where the thermostat is (#1):

Your pictures are of the multi-way control valve (#1), however it has been referred to as a thermostat in parts catalogs also.

A replacement multi-way control valve goes for $335 on discountinfinitiparts.com plus labor. If it just needs to be resealed, then the cost should be less.

To remove the control valve, you'll have to disconnect a half dozen hoses, remove the drive belt, drain engine coolant, remove the reservoir tank, and disconnect a couple of harness connectors.

Not knowing your skill level as a shade tree mechanic, I can't say if you can fix it or not if removal is necessary. Resealing it would be a lot easier if it doesn't have to be removed from the engine to access sealing any leaks.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Premium Member
'17 SS
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, that's not the thermostat in the pictures you posted. Here's where the thermostat is (#1):

Your pictures are of the multi-way control valve (#1), however it has been referred to as a thermostat in parts catalogs also.

A replacement multi-way control valve goes for $335 on discountinfinitiparts.com plus labor. If it just needs to be resealed, then the cost should be less.

To remove the control valve, you'll have to disconnect a half dozen hoses, remove the drive belt, drain engine coolant, remove the reservoir tank, and disconnect a couple of harness connectors.

Not knowing your skill level as a shade tree mechanic, I can't say if you can fix it or not if removal is necessary. Resealing it would be a lot easier if it doesn't have to be removed from the engine to access sealing any leaks.
Thanks for the info, I can do it myself, but that seems like alot of time and effort, both of which I do not really have. If its just o-rings or resealing, would $510 still be fair?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,858 Posts
Thanks for the info, I can do it myself, but that seems like alot of time and effort, both of which I do not really have. If its just o-rings or resealing, would $510 still be fair?
Not knowing what all has to be done to seal the leak, it's hard to say. I would guess it depends on which gaskets need to be replaced and ease of access.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Any reason you wouldn't get the work done by Infinit? Should be covered under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
3,645 Posts
Any reason you wouldn't get the work done by Infinit? Should be covered under warranty.
^This, unless the car is over the 70k mile powertrain warranty mileage limit.

·
Premium Member
'17 SS
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know, I did not even think about that. Thanks!

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Premium Member
'17 SS
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^This, unless the car is over the 70k mile powertrain warranty mileage limit.
I am sitting at 34662, I should be okay. I will give them a call. Thanks for the advice

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,858 Posts
Odd that the dealership would give an estimate for the repair but not mention that it was covered under warranty.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
22 Posts

View attachment 95227

View attachment 95235

If I wanted to reseal mine couldn’t I unscrew the cap and do so it would I have to drain? Could I use rtv

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.