Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I’m new to this forum. I have a 2018 Infiniti Q50 3.0 Luxe with about 52k miles on it. While checking the oil today I noticed that the coolant reservoir (maybe there’s two of them?) was bone dry. This doesn’t seem normal...

A month ago I was having a belt squeal issue and the techs said that there was nothing wrong but they went ahead and replaced the accessory drive belt and re aligned the compressor anyways. Could that have been caused by leaking coolant? This car is under warranty still and I have the CPO warranty.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
While checking the oil today I noticed that the coolant reservoir (maybe there’s two of them?) was bone dry. This doesn’t seem normal...
The two coolant bottles serve different purposes - one is for engine coolant, while the other is for the intercoolers for the turbos.

A month ago I was having a belt squeal issue and the techs said that there was nothing wrong but they went ahead and replaced the accessory drive belt and re aligned the compressor anyways. Could that have been caused by leaking coolant? This car is under warranty still and I have the CPO warranty.
Your Q is losing coolant somewhere. Based on historical reporting on this forum, it could be a water pump leak. You should look for evidence of crusty white deposits below the water pump, which I would call the most likely source of lost coolant. The leaking coolant can also contaminate the drive belt, leading to a squeak over time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two coolant bottles serve different purposes - one is for engine coolant, while the other is for the intercoolers for the turbos.

Your Q is losing coolant somewhere. Based on historical reporting on this forum, it could be a water pump leak. You should look for evidence of crusty white deposits below the water pump, which I would call the most likely source of lost coolant. The leaking coolant can also contaminate the drive belt, leading to a squeak over time.
Thanks for the quick response. The intercooler tank is also bone dry.... I’m going to take it into the dealer but I assume that could be a big problem too...

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,810 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. The intercooler tank is also bone dry.... I’m going to take it into the dealer but I assume that could be a big problem too...
Are you in Portland?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,810 Posts
I am. Just moved here.
Welcome to Oregon and the forum! Plenty of nightly activities in downtown if rioting is your thing!

I grew up there and currently live on the Oregon coast in Newport. My youngest son lives up there now. Whereabouts in Portland?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to Oregon and the forum! Plenty of nightly activities in downtown if rioting is your thing!

I grew up there and currently live on the Oregon coast in Newport. My youngest son lives up there now. Whereabouts in Portland?
Bahahhaha. I am in NE Portland near the Moda Center. Portland is very different. Had I not got my dream job I wouldn’t have moved here... I’ve been to Cannon Beach and Mt. hood so far and it was beautiful.

·
Registered
2016 QX50 Touring AWD Malbec Black 325 HP ~ the Original CUV
18 Posts
Even tough I don't go to Jiffy Lube, they offer a " Free Top Off " Service . . .

The Pimply Faced 16 year old can splash in some GM Dextron in the Window Washer Resivoir and check your air pressure in the tires while you're there . . .

Tell the kid you were upsold on Nitrogen on your last visit, and to top off with nitrogen . . and don't forget the Valve Stem caps, they always forget to put 'em back on . . .

prepare-that-capacitor-with-some-3-in-1-oil-and-some-gauze-pads-and-im-gonna-need-bout-ten-qua...jpg

·
Registered
3,464 Posts

Off topic a bit here but I was in Portland in '98. Had a meeting at DTNA (Daimler Trucks North America) headquarters. Arrived about noon the day before so I took a drive to the coast just so I could say I dipped my toes in the Pacific. Great scenery. Stopped to see the giant Sitka Spruce tree. Portland seemed like a nice town then. Friendly people. Peaceful. My son was there about twelve years later at the MSFT sales office. Said it smelled of urine. Too bad about what has happened there.

DTNA announced about two months ago they were moving elsewhere. No surprise.

·
Registered
2016 Q50S AWD
20 Posts
Hello everyone,

I’m new to this forum. I have a 2018 Infiniti Q50 3.0 Luxe with about 52k miles on it. While checking the oil today I noticed that the coolant reservoir (maybe there’s two of them?) was bone dry. This doesn’t seem normal...

So did you have a leak and get it fixed? i looked in both my reservoirs and they were drier than a box of Jacobs cream crackers........ better put some anti freeze in em!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So did you have a leak and get it fixed? i looked in both my reservoirs and they were drier than a box of Jacobs cream crackers........ better put some anti freeze in em!
They checked it out and said there was no leak. Next time I go in for scheduled maintenance they will check it out....

·
Registered
2016 Q50S AWD
20 Posts
i had a look for any signs of leaks on my car and cannot see any. I’ll top off the fluids and monitor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts