Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk about how lousy the RFTs are, I started thinking(don't worry, nothing short-circuited). The Yokohama Avid tires on my current G only have about 11,000 miles on them, and they are the same size as those on the Q50. They have a wear rating of 560, and look almost brand new. They're very good tires - good grip wet and dry, and fairly quiet. (Afrosheen, they're not the crappy Yokohamas that you had.):D Hopefully, some on the forum can give good advice: Would it be feasible, and a good idea, to have the dealer switch them with my new RFTs when I finally pick up the Q? I'd carry one of those "fix-a-flat" cans in the trunk, just in case(Remember, it's the hybrid, so a spare isn't an option). If feasible, what should I expect in compensation from the dealer, when I give the RFTs to them? Thanks for any input you can give me.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
It actually is something I would consider! I am not worried about flats with non-rft since I habe AAA for that! I like Yokohamas myself and if you have a set with good tire wear and lots of meat on it then I would say go for it! Only thing is I would canvas first! Ask your dealer your concern about compensation and ask some local wheel/tire shop as well and see from there!

Hope you get things sorted out man and give us feedback on how the Q50 drives after a non-rft tire swap!:D

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm getting new tires on Sunday. As I am leasing I'm keeping the Dunlop RFT's and put them back on when I turn in the car. Of course unless we find out the Infiniti doesn't care if you turn you car in without them.
I'm buying, so worrying about returning it with RFTs is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Put the RFT's on sale here. Someone will buy them.

You can ask the dealer. They may buy them.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which ones?

If anybody here has experience with these, I'd appreciate your input. I've cut down the possibilities to the following:

1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 rating: 500 A A $167 each

2) BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Grand Touring A/S 560 A A $135 each

3) Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS Grand Touring A/S(same model as OE, but
non-RFT 480 A A $147 each

4) Yokohama AVID ENvigor High Performance A/S 560 A A $127 each
(this is what I now have on my G)

I'm sure that I'll find at least one tire company that will be willing to make a swap, though I'm sure that they'll want a little money to sweeten the deal. The prices are TireRack's, so I would think that the prices anywhere else will be more. Thanks ahead of time for your advice.:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I hope that those people who change out their tires will post their experience with how much difference it actually makes. It would be great information to know in both sport and non-sport trims. I am thinking the difference might be felt more in the sport trim.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope that those people who change out their tires will post their experience with how much difference it actually makes. It would be great information to know in both sport and non-sport trims. I am thinking the difference might be felt more in the sport trim.
Since the hybrid has a sport suspension as standard, that's even more reason that I am changing out the tires.

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Selzini, your idea of using the Yokohamas is workable. Just check the front tire
wear, usually the G wears the outer edge.
I you are buying new tires, I had a very good experience with Goodyear F1
and Hankook Nobel S1 (great tire, a bargain!):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=255WR7H452&tab=Sizes

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Michelins are always a safe bet.
Thanks. As I indicated, I have the Yokohamas now, and am happy with them. Just wondering if there's a better one out there for the Q50. I'll check out the ones you've stated.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After finding out that,

1) Once tires are mounted on a car, they can not be sold as new, no matter if they have zero miles on them, and

2) No tire dealers WANT the RFTs to resell

I've decided to just have the dealership swap out my Yokohamas that are on my G with the RFTs. He won't charge me for labor, and he'll also balance them. They have only 11,000 miles on them, which means that, the way I plan to drive, I'll get a good three years out of them, at least, before I have to replace them. I want to start out with a better ride quality from the start, and it just doesn't make sense to buy new tires. Doing it this way may seem silly, but I'll be happier with the ride, and I won't be hassling with the RFTs. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.