Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the Helmholtz Infiniti axle back and I want to enhance the sound. Should I upgrade the mid pipe + y pipe or get a full catback system? If so which catback? I like the Helmholtz, but want more sound without drone or rasp.

3.7 awd

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Bumper Helmet

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Q50S AWD, [email protected], AMS LDP, MBPR CBE, HKS BOV,
67 Posts
I currently have the Helmholtz Infiniti axle back and I want to enhance the sound. Should I upgrade the mid pipe + y pipe or get a full catback system? If so which catback? I like the Helmholtz, but want more sound without drone or rasp.

3.7 awd
I personally would go full CBE with LDP. I would buy the complete system and retain your OEM as an option to refit when you sell your car, you can always then sell your LDP and CBE to return some cash. Take a look on youtube, there's some great videos on there. I have the 3.0t and have LDP with CBE MBRP (way too much rasp!) which I'm swapping out for an Invidia Gemini which are supposed to be more tame with deeper note and no rasp (I pray to the exhaust gods for this!). There's loads of options and Fast Intentions are highly regarded. One thing I know is it's pretty tricky to find exactly what you want on a solo mission, so If I were starting out again, I'd perhaps visit some Infiniti car meets to see what people are running and hear first hand how the cars sound. This would have saved me some hard earned $$$. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Good luck.

·
Registered
276 Posts
....One thing I know is it's pretty tricky to find exactly what you want on a solo mission, so If I were starting out again...
Is what the guy is trying to do here but he gets what most others get which is the stupid "the search is your friend". No it isn't. Search results suck on this platform. It's much easier to ask the question and is what a forum is for. If you don't like the question move on and ignore it. Sheesh.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Is what the guy is trying to do here but he gets what most others get which is the stupid "the search is your friend". No it isn't. Search results suck on this platform. It's much easier to ask the question and is what a forum is for. If you don't like the question move on and ignore it. Sheesh.
He had one post, asking a question that obviously was not researched. Before I ask my first question, on any forum, I lurk and read, read, read.

Reactions: GoyQ60

·
Registered
932 Posts
Awwwwwww snowflake....

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,379 Posts
🍿

• Haha
Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
239 Posts

3.7 awd
Did you use the gaskets that came with helmholtz Infiniti exhaust? If not then you will have droning for sure and it will be Raspy because the stock gaskets that came with the car are too thin and don’t seal at all causing an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
Q50 3.7, AFE CAI, Helmholtz AB, BMS Cont, 25mm spacers, Stillen Splitter+Diffuser, RSR Downs, UpRev
16 Posts
I have the same issue, have the Helmholtz but want more sound and less drone down low. What a lot of 3.7 guys do is full CBEs with HFCs (cry once and do it right). This setup will make the most power and will sound great. Start with a CBE such as Fast Intentions (arguable the most popular CBE in the 370Z community and known for the outstanding quality and craftsmanship), Invidia, Ark or Motordyne. If you still want more sound, add the HFCs, just dont do Test Pipes on the 3.7, rasp city. Im currently waiting for FI to build me a resonated CBE. The Invidia is known to sound very good, but is on the quite side, paired with HFCs its on point. Problem is, hard to find a vendor with these systems in stock. In addition, the pipe diameter is not 2.5" but 2.3" so performance wont be as good as the other systems that utilize the 2.5". Ark Grip and Motordyne Shockwave are gonna cost you $2k...but are known for sounding the loudest/best (subjective). Finally, if you keep the Helmholtz and add a y-pipe and mid-pipe it will increase the volume while keeping a similar tone to what you have now. This combo will cost you about the same as an Invidia system or Fast Intentions but keeps your mufflers you already bought. I also believe this will amplify the trumpty sound that many complain about with the Helmholtz. Going to a full CBE with an X-pipe gets rid of this and eliminates the Y-pipe bottleneck (give a great, aggressive tone). All and all, there are lots of options for the Q50 platform, and what sounds good on the 3.0t may not sound good on the 3.7 vice versa.

A few other options:

Magnaflow
AFE
MBRP

Don't forget to YouTube what the G37 and 370Z sound like with CBEs because the OEM setup is almost identical to the Q50 3.7L. If you are curious about FI's sound, there is tons of 370Z content out there.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sorry if I’m being rude or being inconsiderate but how do you guys have drone issues with the Helmholtz on the 3.7 where I have 0 drone or rasp on my 3.5 Hybrid?

·
Registered
Q50 3.7, AFE CAI, Helmholtz AB, BMS Cont, 25mm spacers, Stillen Splitter+Diffuser, RSR Downs, UpRev
16 Posts
Its not a drone while cruising but while slowly accelerating at low speed in auto mode. The 7spd shifts into a higher gear as soon as possible and that creates a sound that doesnt have much tone or clarity. So thats what were calling drone.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Its not a drone while cruising but while slowly accelerating at low speed in auto mode. The 7spd shifts into a higher gear as soon as possible and that creates a sound that doesnt have much tone or clarity. So thats what were calling drone.
Oh gotcha. This is whyI asked earlier in a post that did you all use the provided gaskets that came with helmholtz and not the oem ones that came with the car. Also im comparing two different engines that are very similar yet very unique and different in the way they sound. If you compare the VQ35HR exhaust tone to the VQ37VHR and google online you will see alot of people side with the 3.5 as it has a smoother and very deep tone. Where as the VQ37VHR is a little rougher in terms of smoothness and much more rapsier and high pitched in tone. Plus the VVEL will have some effect on the exhaust note of the engine depending on how the cams and valves operate and position themselves due to VVEL.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Oh gotcha. This is whyI asked earlier in a post that did you all use the provided gaskets that came with helmholtz and not the oem ones that came with the car. Also im comparing two different engines that are very similar yet very unique and different in the way they sound. If you compare the VQ35HR exhaust tone to the VQ37VHR and google online you will see alot of people side with the 3.5 as it has a smoother and very deep tone. Where as the VQ37VHR is a little rougher in terms of smoothness and much more rapsier and high pitched in tone. Plus the VVEL will have some effect on the exhaust note of the engine depending on how the cams and valves operate and position themselves due to VVEL.

93, that better not be the year you were born. Because that's the year I graduated! You make me feel
Nose Smile Eye Human body Fruit

·
Registered
16 Posts
Keep it professional here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts