Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I was thinking about my current exhaust situation.

I currently have the stock exhaust + the Infiniti Sports Muffler. The exhaust sounds decent, however I believe there could be improvements.

Has anyone here setup their exhaust with the Infiniti Sports Exhaust (ISE) with custom piping from the cat back? Sound clips would be appreciated. If anyone has any suggestions as to what other custom options there are that i can have my local shop complete. 2.5" or 3" piping to the ISE.

Any input is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,555 Posts
I'd recommend a system that was designed for the 3.0t, not a custom job. Whatever you select, I'd recommend it has resonators.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Has anyone here setup their exhaust with the Infiniti Sports Exhaust (ISE) with custom piping from the cat back?
I paired AMS lower downpipes (soon to be catted full downpipes whenever I have free time) with the aFe Power Takeda Y-Pipe 2-1/2" to 3" y-pipe/mid-pipe combo and the Infiniti Motorsports Helmholtz axle-back. It sounds quite good (I honestly find it to sound better than the Fast Intentions cat-back exhaust--a bit louder but possibly a slight bit more drone at highway cruising if I am searching for a nitpick). Definitely make sure to get two of the optional resonators if you go the aFe Power y-pipe/mid-pipe combo.

Sorry, I do not have any sound clips handy. Maybe I will sneak out this afternoon and try to find an empty area to get some sound clips (not sure where off the top of my head where I can go that won't have people within hearing distance).

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, MBRP Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
374 Posts
My very first exhaust was crafted the same way as you, I started with the Infiniti axle back, got tannebe mid, Megan racing Y, and then added megan racing LDP. It sounded pretty nice but when you buy a full CBE its going to sound unique because they are all the same parts. You would have no issue selling the axle back here. Axle backs just give a better sound, no gains, but add the other parts and you will notice a difference!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know it’s not what you’re looking for but I’m running the z1 full race pipes catless and an ark cat back. I enjoy the sound it’s pretty deep. I do have sound clips if it’s something you’re looking into

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My very first exhaust was crafted the same way as you, I started with the Infiniti axle back, got tannebe mid, Megan racing Y, and then added megan racing LDP. It sounded pretty nice but when you buy a full CBE its going to sound unique because they are all the same parts. You would have no issue selling the axle back here. Axle backs just give a better sound, no gains, but add the other parts and you will notice a difference!
I was looking at SpeedCulturesStudios Exhaust due to the cheap cost compared to the FI CBE. I've had the FI CBE and its not too far away from the Infiniti Sports Exhaust from a note perspective, but performance is def missing.

As he put a mid muffler/rear mufflers it may be too low, was thinking that the two mufflers may muffle the sound too much making it worse than stock.

So just seeing if anyone has ever used flex pipe on the y-section and 2.5" piping and from the cat-back to the Infiniti Sports Muffler, and how that sounded.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, as far as exhaust tubing goes there would really be no difference in sound with 2 1/2" between 'custom' or 'Brand X'...the exception would be if one or the other used an H-pipe vs an X-pipe vs no crossover tubing, if we're talking true dual exhaust. On a Y-pipe application, suppose there could be slight variation between them based on the transition length and style (i.e. how smooth they come together).

Tube wall thickness could be a variable, being they do offer several different sizes within the same OD. We're not talking a whole though realistically (strength needs to be a consideration for how thin and weight for how thick)...I'd imagine acoustically speaking, the larger ID would offer different acoustics beyond just its size, or open area due to the metal itself acting in an insulating fashion, so to speak. Doubt it would be discernable enough though, unless you went from really thick to ultra thin...which is not realistic to compare, just saying...

I'd personally go 'custom', but that's just me. Have had enough "car life" experience to know what the ultimate size and design should be, as well as what muffler style and case size to use for best results on what my goals would be :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, as far as exhaust tubing goes there would really be no difference in sound with 2 1/2" between 'custom' or 'Brand X'...the exception would be if one or the other used an H-pipe vs an X-pipe vs no crossover tubing, if we're talking true dual exhaust. On a Y-pipe application, suppose there could be slight variation between them based on the transition length and style (i.e. how smooth they come together).

Tube wall thickness could be a variable, being they do offer several different sizes within the same OD. We're not talking a whole though realistically (strength needs to be a consideration for how thin and weight for how thick)...I'd imagine acoustically speaking, the larger ID would offer different acoustics beyond just its size, or open area due to the metal itself acting in an insulating fashion, so to speak. Doubt it would be discernable enough though, unless you went from really thick to ultra thin...which is not realistic to compare, just saying...

I'd personally go 'custom', but that's just me. Have had enough "car life" experience to know what the ultimate size and design should be, as well as what muffler style and case size to use for best results on what my goals would be :)
I am all ears on you would personally use for your setup!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts