Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Premium AWD - New Warranty Engine/Turbos as of 4/24/2021 - ADD W1 OCC, 2 12" M512D4 on 2kW
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got this done a couple months ago by a shop I will never go to again lol. Overall the build turned out and sounds great but the experience was terrible.

Next mod is an FI exhaust with prismatic tips. This isn’t really a good place for a question for anyone that has an FI system with prismatic tips, how have they held up? I was hoping to ceramic coat them but I heard back from Kevin today that the prismatic coating is a PVD coating, and he highly suggested to avoid anything other than soap, water and a microfiber cloth.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I too love a little thump, but I don’t think I can go without a trunk. I HATE putting things in the back seat. Just a pet-peeve of mine. I’ll likely do a box and sub designed for pickups.

Reactions: presidential

·
Registered
51 Posts
I too love a little thump, but I don’t think I can go without a trunk. I HATE putting things in the back seat. Just a pet-peeve of mine. I’ll likely do a box and sub designed for pickups.
infinite baffle using the pass through would retain about 90% of your trunk space and with 2 15s, you'll have all the low end you'd ever want. you wont be able to run 4000WRMS like some people but youll be able to play flat down to 20hz with authority vs ported boxes and their unloaded flappy cones under tuning frequency.

two FI IB3 15s on 1000w each would allow you to play down to 20hz with authority since they have 68mm xmax (34mm one-way). you wont have to worry about bottoming out the subs unless you decide to play 15hz test tones with tons of EQ.

even still, it wont be a true IB setup once you feed it some power. it'll act more like a quasi-bandpass if you keep the seats up. or, it could be considered a loose fourth order box (trunk) with the oem sub (disconnected) acting like a passive radiator.

regardless, twin IB 15s with equal power will thrash ported 12s below their (probably high) tuning frequency and likely rival/exceed them in total output considering the extra cone area. plus, you wont have a crappy one note wonder trash pre-fab box thats tuned at like 38-40hz...ANNNND you still get to keep most of your trunk.

·
Registered
114 Posts
infinite baffle using the pass through would retain about 90% of your trunk space and with 2 15s, you'll have all the low end you'd ever want. you wont be able to run 4000WRMS like some people but youll be able to play flat down to 20hz with authority vs ported boxes and their unloaded flappy cones under tuning frequency.

two FI IB3 15s on 1000w each would allow you to play down to 20hz with authority since they have 68mm xmax (34mm one-way). you wont have to worry about bottoming out the subs unless you decide to play 15hz test tones with tons of EQ.

even still, it wont be a true IB setup once you feed it some power. it'll act more like a quasi-bandpass if you keep the seats up. or, it could be considered a loose fourth order box (trunk) with the oem sub (disconnected) acting like a passive radiator.

regardless, twin IB 15s with equal power will thrash ported 12s below their (probably high) tuning frequency and likely rival/exceed them in total output considering the extra cone area. plus, you wont have a crappy one note wonder trash pre-fab box thats tuned at like 38-40hz...ANNNND you still get to keep most of your trunk.
I just found out how little I know about sound systems. Half of what you said could be jibberish and I’d never know... you’re hired!

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Premium AWD - New Warranty Engine/Turbos as of 4/24/2021 - ADD W1 OCC, 2 12" M512D4 on 2kW
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Like SkylineDreamz said, a good amount of this went right over my head lol. I used to be more into the technical side of audio but since have lost a lot of the knowledge.

I kept this build simple. The subs, amp and battery were all recycled from a setup in my previous car. The last box as well as this new one are tuned to 28Hz. Hits plenty low and I am used to not having a trunk at this point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
lol, sorry. i can explain more in a PM or here if you'd like. IB systems definitely arent a fix-all but they're a "fix most" solution for people wanting more output that's very smooth and takes up little space.

a single 18 has more cone area than two 12s or three 10s. two 15s has more cone area than three 12s.

it takes 10db for the human ear to perceive something as twice as loud. 2 subs are not twice as loud as one, rather theyre 3db louder, power and excursion held equal. in essence, itll sound "a little" louder. if you add double the subs AND double the power, THEN thats twice as loud, right? no, its 6db louder. "more loud". you would need to double the doubled power (lol) to see that final 3db to see a 9db increase to bascially "twice as loud".

to put it differently, if you had a single 12 with say, 30mm xmax, on 500WRMS and wanted something truly "twice as loud", you would have to either A.) use two 12s and run 2000WRMS or B.) use a single 12 with double the excursion and 2000WRMS. most people chose A because B will have you looking for a sub with 3" one-way XMAX, lol.

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
541 Posts

A CLS110RG-W7AE with the OEM Bose sub removed & 700watts has been very satisfying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it takes 10db for the human ear to perceive something as twice as loud.
I produce music as a hobby for the time being, and this more or less is the same idea from a production standpoint. I think it only takes 3dB to double sound intensity, but yes, 10dB to truly double the output volume.

I don’t plan to change my sub setup any time soon. However, I am looking for something to adjust and amp up the Bose system. I think a JL VX800/8i should suffice for what I want to do. I may end up adding a VX600/6i to take care of the rear of the car, too. Its a shame that there are 9 speakers in the front because obviously an 8 channel amp won’t cover the whole front.

At the very least I really just want to get the bass cut out of the front door 10” woofers, and flatten out the freq range. There’s so many 3.25“ drivers in this car that boost a specific range and almost make the sound sort of... honky? Thats the best way I can describe the mid treble of the Bose system.

At some point I will probably upgrade all of the speakers but for the time being, keeping the gain low on those amps, flattening out the sound and refocusing the 10s to the mid bass area should be enough.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,662 Posts
I produce music as a hobby
I would think you would want to preserve your hearing as much as possible for as long as possible. Take it from someone that wears hearing aids, it's not fun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a very similar setup with 2 Rockford Fosgate 12s. Will post pics later if someone reminds me. I vertically mounted my amp on the side though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a very similar setup with 2 Rockford Fosgate 12s.
I would definitely be interested in seeing your setup. I haven’t seen too many full custom builds on this platform. It’s almost as if a luxury sedan isn’t the proper base for lots of bass... lol.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Sport
168 Posts
I built my own and one day if I need more sound I'll build one for the other side.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I produce music as a hobby for the time being, and this more or less is the same idea from a production standpoint. I think it only takes 3dB to double sound intensity, but yes, 10dB to truly double the output volume.

I don’t plan to change my sub setup any time soon. However, I am looking for something to adjust and amp up the Bose system. I think a JL VX800/8i should suffice for what I want to do. I may end up adding a VX600/6i to take care of the rear of the car, too. Its a shame that there are 9 speakers in the front because obviously an 8 channel amp won’t cover the whole front.

At the very least I really just want to get the bass cut out of the front door 10” woofers, and flatten out the freq range. There’s so many 3.25“ drivers in this car that boost a specific range and almost make the sound sort of... honky? Thats the best way I can describe the mid treble of the Bose system.

At some point I will probably upgrade all of the speakers but for the time being, keeping the gain low on those amps, flattening out the sound and refocusing the 10s to the mid bass area should be enough.
any form of correction done will be better than what the bose amp does. i truly detest how bass has been rolled off in oem radios for so long. its always too aggressive and intrusive. i understand why though, its just sad. JL's signal processing works very well, and im sure you can just use a 4 channel and a 5 channel if you absolutely wanted. though i dont know if the bose system runs a true center channel or if its L+R mix mono or if the JL is capable of duplicating that. i havent looked.

the mid-range sounds overly loud at full volume because the amp has an internal EQ that kills bass past 80% volume or so. since the human ear is most sensitive around 2-5KHz, it sounds overly harsh when loud.

i find the mid-bass in the car severely lacking when turned up at any real volume. i can only image thats due to the engineers not wanting the doors to rattle apart in a year from having 10s in the door. even at the 50watt level, the door cards vibrate like crazy. theres a TON of potential in the oem system, even with the oem speakers. though the low-pro oem 10s may not have a ton of excursion, they dont need it due to their size (2.5 times the cone area of a 6.5" woofer). they will outplay and dig deeper than pretty much any non XBL2 6.5" driver with similar power, and any 6.5" sub will have a hell of a time keeping above 80hz, just physics.

the bass is actually fairly smooth and clean but of course, theres never enough. all that needs to happen here is more power. im fairly certain a stronger IB specific 10" sub would be enough for most people so long as theyre not looking to be a ground pounder like the heyday of car audio. man, i miss the early 90s up to very early 00s, before everything went overseas for car audio.

imaging and staging for the car is actually pretty good, ESPECIALLY if you disable all the surround and driver focus crap. thats by far the most impressive part about the bose system. once you disable all the processing trash (ANC, fake surround aka centerpoint, driver focus, etc), you get to hear how important speaker placement is in a system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
so, for anyone interested, the pre-amp signal going in to the bose amp is unmodified. the head unit will output a balanced signal, 3.5 volts with 0% distortion at max volume.

that same thread also explains why you dont want to use a signal processor on the output side of a bose amp if SQ is a priority.

this thread starts off as an install and has quite a bit of informative pictures of the doors and rear deck also.

eidt: the thread is over on diyma, use the search feature for Q50 install, itll be obvious which one it is. if not, pm me and ill send you the link. i thought about it, some forums get upset when you link to other forums so i decided to remove the direct link.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Sport
168 Posts
Do you have any pics of the back side? One of my subs is rattling and I may swap over to shallow mount soon.
Closest thing during the build process.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would definitely be interested in seeing your setup. I haven’t seen too many full custom builds on this platform. It’s almost as if a luxury sedan isn’t the proper base for lots of bass... lol.
Sorry this is so late, 2 Rockford Fosgate 12s mounted against the rear seats powered by a cheap monoblock amp (my JBL GTX500 died). Excuse the mess, I was in a bit of a hurry to snap these. Also needs some cleanup and wire looms.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Closest thing during the build process. View attachment 101568
That's sweet! What material is that for the box and what did you use to mold it?

Also, what sub/amp combo are you running? I'd imagine you need a good amount of power to push a sub with a more shallow box like that?

Also I love how that carpet matches the trunk carpet pretty well. Great build!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts