Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been beat to death, but I am purchasing a 2019 q50 luxe model.

Here are my thoughts for exhaust.

Lower down pipes (Megan, HKS, AMS), Megan Y pipe, then have local exhaust shop run 2.5 inch mid pipes with the factory resonators back to a muffler.

Here is where I need clarification. I do not want rasp and really only mild to moderate sound increases. Would keeping the stock muffler negate the expanded pipe size of the LDPs, Y and mid pipes? Or do I need to just install a very tame magnaflow or flowmaster drop in muffler to keep the overall system 2.5 throughout?

Suggestions please. More focused on increase performance than a race car sound.

Any realistic idea on HP gains prior to a tune. Would like to avoid a tune until outside of the factory warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
5,247 Posts

Lower down pipes (Megan, HKS, AMS), Megan Y pipe, then have local exhaust shop run 2.5 inch mid pipes with the factory resonators back to a muffler.

Here is where I need clarification. I do not want rasp and really only mild to moderate sound increases. Would keeping the stock muffler negate the expanded pipe size of the LDPs, Y and mid pipes? Or do I need to just install a very tame magnaflow or flowmaster drop in muffler to keep the overall system 2.5 throughout?

Any realistic idea on HP gains prior to a tune. Would like to avoid a tune until outside of the factory warranty.
My advice would be not to Frankenstein it. There are lots of good quality, good sounding, good performing complete CBs that were designed to work with our car. I'm curious, why the desire to piece it together?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My advice would be not Frankenstein it. There are lots of good quality, good sounding, good performing complete CBs that were designed to work with our car.
This. I learned the hard way before I got smart.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts
How many others have we seen here who have scabbed together Frankenstein exhausts only to start over with a CBE that was engineered as a unit?

Reactions: JohnInNH

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
How many others have we seen here who have scabbed together Frankenstein exhausts only to start over with a CBE that was engineered as a unit?
First, I was thrown by the thread title, I think AutoCorrect is in play - "Custom Exhaust Question", perhaps?

As for how many? Too many, but newbies think they will invent a better mousetrap, er, CBE, despite the lessons-learned professed in the forum.

The old argument of "Time, Quality, $ - pick two" applies here.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
5,247 Posts
First, I was thrown by the thread title, I think AutoCorrect is in play - "Custom Exhaust Question", perhaps?

As for how many? Too many, but newbies think they will invent a better mousetrap, er, CBE, despite the lessons-learned professed in the forum.

The old argument of "Time, Quality, $ - pick two" applies here.
You can have all three with this:

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can have all three with this:

I did exactly what you described except I went with the Infiniti Helmholtz axel back on the rear and replaced the factory resonators with a pair of Vibrant 17” to eliminate rasp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't recommend going frankenstein like everyone else mentioned. The Q50 platform has several options available that has been designed specifically for the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just didn't want that "ricer" sound, but wanted to open up the flow. That was my thinking on keeping the stock muffler and resonators in the mid pipe section. But was curious if that would cause the shitty honda civic sound.

I didn't see the point in purchasing a full system if I was just trying to increase pipe size from 1.75 to 2.5 inches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did exactly what you described except I went with the Infiniti Helmholtz axel back on the rear and replaced the factory resonators with a pair of Vibrant 17” to eliminate rasp.
How did it turn out?

Drone, rasp, etc?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I just didn't want that "ricer" sound, but wanted to open up the flow. That was my thinking on keeping the stock muffler and resonators in the mid pipe section. But was curious if that would cause the shitty honda civic sound.

I didn't see the point in purchasing a full system if I was just trying to increase pipe size from 1.75 to 2.5 inches.
I have full catless downpipe, y, mid, and stock muffler. It's quiet but good flow. Another option is keep the stock upper downpipes and go with an infiniti sport axleback....that I have for sale 🤣

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts
I have full catless downpipe, y, mid, and stock muffler. It's quiet but good flow. Another option is keep the stock upper downpipes and go with an infiniti sport axleback....that I have for sale 🤣
Then list it in the Classifieds.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Then list it in the Classifieds.
Take it down a notch. I posted multiple options of multiple exhaust setups from experience. The fact I said I had something for sale is not a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts
I haven't taken anything up a notch. You've said twice now that you have an axleback for sale so why not start a thread in the Classifieds?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts