Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to daily drive on EcuTek's tune? I had it done by AMS and there was high, medium, low, and economy maps. I always have it on high but drive normal unless I punch it from time to time. On a side note, I don't see the purpose of medium, low, and economy. Why tune trying to get out the most power but set it to low? Can't you just drive easy on high and it would be the same thing as long as you don't hit high boost? Also I haven't tried it but what would happen if you set the car to economy but have the map on high or set the map to economy but have the car on Sport+?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is it safe to daily drive on EcuTek's tune? I had it done by AMS and there was high, medium, low, and economy maps. I always have it on high but drive normal unless I punch it from time to time.
I daily drive my AMS tune, summer and winter (frozen, lake-effect, west Michigan winters -- obviously with winter tires and AWD) without any issue.

On a side note, I don't see the purpose of medium, low, and economy. Why tune trying to get out the most power but set it to low?
Medium will likely have timing retarded very slightly and likely slightly lower boost targets; this is nice for very warm days if you do not have all of the cooling upgrades from AMS because the more aggressive maps will produce more heat, possibly leading to heat soak. Also, if you track your car, you may want to select a less aggressive map to reduce heat soak. Just a guess, but Low may closer to stock-like performance.

Can't you just drive easy on high and it would be the same thing as long as you don't hit high boost?
Yes and no. While keeping the RPMs lower will in general help with fuel efficiency and boost levels, much more goes into tuning these vehicles and camshaft timing, for example, may still play a large enough role in heat soak and fuel efficiency depending on what you are doing and the environment.

Also I haven't tried it but what would happen if you set the car to economy but have the map on high or set the map to economy but have the car on Sport+?
All that the drive modes of the car do is adjust the accelerator pedal sensitivity for user feel (and suspension stiffness for Red Sport with Sport+?). Oh! And the transmission's shift points when in full-auto (how can anyone do that with this crappy transmission?) Nothing wrong with mixing drive mode and calibration map.
Personally, I wish Sport mode was the only drive mode available, so I do not have to select it each time I start the car.
My experience with the Economy map was not noticeable enough for me to utilize it again.

So, I mentioned I daily drive my AMS tune, so what do I do? Personal drive mode (all Sport settings with Active Trace Control disabled and the Red Alpha map (long story short, I do not currently have map switching capabilities due a minor bug with EcuTek software that is not currently a priority for me, but it is either the Medium or High equivalent map) at all times.

Edit: one thing I forgot to add is a major difference between AMS and other tunes I have seen: AMS' calibrations are fantastic for any driver on the road because in the "street" RPM range, the car is not aggressive; it is easy to drive because it feels like the car did stock. When you open up the throttle expecting some action? Yeah, it will give it to you, seemingly out of nowhere. AMS builds these to be great street cars because a race car on the street would be a disaster with an experienced person behind the wheel (and efficiently stupid).

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
My tune from Seb has 91, 92, 93+ and "OEMish". The latter is mimicking the OEM tune. Useful if you ever have someone else drive.
My 93 map is not a "Kill" tune, but can take advantage of 94-95 octane, which I asked for .

In hot weather I use 91 or 92 map depending on the weather and fuel.

I switch between personal mode (std everything but ATC off), and Sport+

I keep my map at 93+ unless conditions merit otherwise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts