341 - 360 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I leave you guys for a day and the thread turns into a conversation about violins, violas, and keyboard semantics?

So this is what we get when we leave you to work at home, some with the kids, huh? LOL

Anyhoot, back to our regularly-scheduled diatribe...

And for my fellow Oregonian, I am using the archaic form: :geek:

Definition of diatribe

1: a bitter and abusive speech or piece of writing
2: ironic or satirical criticism
3 archaic : a prolonged discourse

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
What do you mean, can't copy and paste? Or just save them in a text file on your desktop.

Hold down the ALT key, type 0176 on the numeric keypad (not the number keys on top of the keyboard!) then release the ALT key and viola °

Can't get the Alt 0176 to work. :(
Nor the Alt 246.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
I leave you guys for a day and the thread turns into a conversation about violins, violas, and keyboard semantics?

So this is what we get when we leave you to work at home, some with the kids, huh? LOL

Anyhoot, back to our regularly-scheduled diatribe...

And for my fellow Oregonian, I am using the archaic form: :geek:

Definition of diatribe

1: a bitter and abusive speech or piece of writing
2: ironic or satirical criticism
3 archaic : a prolonged discourse
I thought you were in Seattle?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Do you have the Num Lock ON or OFF? It should be set to ON. Remember to keep holding down the Alt key and only release it after you've typed in the rest of the numbers
No numlock on this keyboard. In fact, as soon as I press Alt and then the 0, it kicks my cursor out of the reply box. :(

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
No numlock on this keyboard. In fact, as soon as I press Alt and then the 0, it kicks my cursor out of the reply box. :(
Then why don't you use Character Map?

Type Ch in the search field in the lower left-hand corner and open up Character Map.
Select the character you want and then copy it.
Paste the character in your post.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts

Type Ch in the search field in the lower left-hand corner and open up Character Map.
I'll have to try this when I sit down next with a Windows machine. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
So your keyboard doesn't have a numeric keypad on the right hand side then? A (google) photo of your keyboard might help.

I suggested that to him previously but I think we would need a little more work on this one.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #354

Ok, that worked. ° Thanks. I didn't know you can open a character map at any time. I've only ever done within an MS Office program.

Still would like to know why my Alt+ method won't work.

I use the degree symbol all the time at work but, in AutoCAD, it's simply %%d.

So your keyboard doesn't have a numeric keypad on the right hand side then? A (google) photo of your keyboard might help.

I suggested that to him previously but I think we would need a little more work on this one.
It has a numeric keypad on the right. But since these keys don't share #s with any other characters, maybe there is no need for a 'NumLock'?

Dell KM714.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Dell KM714
Found on the internet. DuckDuckgo is your friend;

RE: Dell/Logitech KM714 keyboard -- no use of numeric keypad and no Num Lock 'switch'
I have the KM714 combo that I really like. But when I started using it with my linux setup I noticed that the keypad was inactive. I couldn't find a clear statement on how to engage it without a num lock key. But I finally noticed that the 'FN' 'CAP LOCK' combination will toggle num lock. It also seems to engage the cap lock too, but then just cap lock will turn it off leaving num lock engaged. Repeat to turn num lock off.
Hope this works for you.
CRM

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Does that work in Windows XP?
Believe it or not, I found this out during the Wordstar / DB III+ days. I remember I had to type a paperwork which had ñ in it. Took me a few days to figure out, google wasn't around that time yet.

Ok, that worked. ° Thanks. I didn't know you can open a character map at any time. I've only ever done within an MS Office program.

Still would like to know why my Alt+ method won't work.
Finally! lol

Glad @rpiotro found it for us :)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Found on the internet. DuckDuckgo is your friend;

RE: Dell/Logitech KM714 keyboard -- no use of numeric keypad and no Num Lock 'switch'
I have the KM714 combo that I really like. But when I started using it with my linux setup I noticed that the keypad was inactive. I couldn't find a clear statement on how to engage it without a num lock key. But I finally noticed that the 'FN' 'CAP LOCK' combination will toggle num lock. It also seems to engage the cap lock too, but then just cap lock will turn it off leaving num lock engaged. Repeat to turn num lock off.
Hope this works for you.
CRM
Dude, rp, you're amazing! Thanks man!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #358

·
Registered
1,996 Posts