Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Wow, how do you like that??? : - O

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I wouldn't say investing in your home was bad, my place went up 300% since I bought it. I do play it safe, unfortunately I need to get to my investment when needed.
300%?

That is pretty insane sir I think my place is only up 20-30% over the past 3 years? But the economy out in Alberta has been pretty rocky and likely
keeping home prices down.

That said I do not envy the increase in property tax you'd have to pay!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
300%?

That is pretty insane sir I think my place is only up 20-30% over the past 3 years? But the economy out in Alberta has been pretty rocky and likely
keeping home prices down.

That said I do not envy the increase in property tax you'd have to pay!
Don't remind me, they are coming soon, we are at $6000.00 a year.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Don't remind me, they are coming soon, we are at $6000.00 a year.
Ouch! Really glad i live in a small home and the city hasn't noticed I built a garage yet...

Calgary's city council spending is out of control went from $1400 when I first moved into my home to over $2200 the past 2 years.
When people pushed back on the City it reviewed it's budget and managed to find nearly 60 million in "efficiencies" in just a few days.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,094 Posts
Wow, how do you like that??? : - O

View attachment 90452
Down $100K four days ago. Up $75K today. I guess the coronavirus scare that tanked the market is easing up for some odd reason. More likely the high-frequency computer trading is driving these unusual swings.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
More likely the high-frequency computer trading is driving these unusual swings.
I'm back where I was as of last Thursday's closing bell + a little extra... iirc, one or two of my mutual funds has some shares of Tesla (y)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The spread of Coronavirus and its effect on future earnings really drove the market today - I was down 3.5% today (2/24).

So the beginning of a downward slide, or just a bump, er dip, in the road?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
The spread of Coronavirus and its effect on future earnings really drove the market today - I was down 3.5% today (2/24).

So the beginning of a downward slide, or just a bump, er dip, in the road?
Yup, terrible day for the market. Good time to buy? lol If you compare to post #1 from a few months ago, the DOW has dropped below that, the NASDAQ is still above that, and the S&P is about the same.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yup, terrible day for the market. Good time to buy? lol
My prediction is the market will either continue to go down due to earnings pressure, or like what happened right at the end of 2019, recover 50% of the dip the next day due to Day Traders "snapping up the bargains".

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
My unrealized gain in my Tesla stock is up enough to buy one. For now...

It’s been wild.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,094 Posts
I think as the coronavirus pandemic moves forward, it’s impact on the economies of the world will continue to erode the stock markets. I dropped over $107K today. Easy come, easy go.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Bump in the road, unless you're less than a year away from RMDs.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,094 Posts
Recent legislation changes have altered the RMD rules. If you reach 70 1/2 in 2020 or later, then you don’t have to take your first RMD until April 1 of the year after you reach 72.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
DOW down 800 points today as of noon PST... glad I pulled the rip cord on my rollover IRA last Friday, which sold at the Monday close, so now sitting in cash. I'm still invested in my 401k through my present employer, but my holdings are not as high-risk as the funds that made up my rollover IRA.

The next challenge - when to get back in, and into what. I was NASDAQ heavy in my rollover IRA, and while it made some really nice gains, I'm thinking of going a different avenue as long as this coronavirus out in the wild.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
DOW down 800 points today as of noon PST... glad I pulled the rip cord on my rollover IRA last Friday, now sitting in cash. I'm still invested in my 401k through my present employer, but my holdings are not as high-risk as the funds that made up my rollover IRA.

The next challenge - when to get back in, and into what. I was NASDAQ heavy in my rollover IRA, and while it made some really nice gains, I'm thinking of going a different avenue as long as this coronavirus out in the wild.
How the heck did you know to get out last Friday??? 😮

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
How the heck did you know to get out last Friday??? 😮
I had been burned one too many times in the past 2 years, where I told my Dad "When I get to this level, I'm going to go into cash." Well, I had reached that high level last week, plus a little extra, and he had joked to me at Friday's close (we chat about our stock activity every day after 2:30 pm PST) - "So you gettin' out?" "Yeah, you know what, I'm getting out..." So I put in the sell order after hours on Friday, which meant it would occur at Monday's close.

So I still took the 3.5% loss on this Rollover IRA from Monday's drop, and that "little extra" above my threshold went bye-bye. Oh well...

I'd be lyin' if I wasn't feeling a bit smug today.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I had been burned one too many times in the past 2 years, where I told my Dad "When I get to this level, I'm going to go into cash." Well, I had reached that high level last week, plus a little extra, and he had joked to me at Friday's close (we chat about our stock activity every day after 2:30 pm PST) - "So you gettin' out?" "Yeah, you know what, I'm getting out..." So I put in the sell order after hours on Friday, which meant it would occur at Monday's close.

So I still took the 3.5% loss on this Rollover IRA from Monday's drop, and that "little extra" above my threshold went bye-bye. Oh well...

I'd be lyin' if I wasn't feeling a bit smug today.
Oh no, sorry dude. :(

81 - 98 of 98 Posts