Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Q50 with DAS and at about 26k miles I got new tires and got my first alignment. I paid about $75 for the alignment which I thought was pretty good.

Took my car to the dealer today for a few items and service advisor told me that only the dealership can do an alignment on a vehicle with DAS... and the price is ***$435***. Are you kidding me? $435?! Apparently it is 3 hours of labor, hence the high price.

The service advisor also said that since the alignment costs so much more they only recommend doing it after getting new tires or if you notice something is out of whack while driving, after a big pot hole hit or whatever. On a normal, non-DAS car it's apparently recommended to do every 15k miles.

So since I just had an alignment done do I need to get it re-done properly at the dealership?

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You can do the regular alignment and do the DAS reset afterward.

I changed wheels and tires and just do the alignment at Firestone (got lifetime with them).
Once that is done, I just do the DAS reset myself.
So far, the car drive straight without any strange behavior from DAS.

Unless there is something special about this DAS alignment which cost $435. Someone working at the dealership care to chime in?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Unless there is something special about this DAS alignment which cost $435. Someone working at the dealership care to chime in?
I just checked my PDF service manual. Yikes, there are 4 full pages dedicated to toe-in alignment.

Apparently, the service tech needs to access the diagnostics screen to perform this process.

It's just my personal opinion, but I suspect a dealer alignment of a Q50 with DAS is not required unless there is evidence of a toe-in problem.
:nerd:

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
That is just crazy in terms of pricing, if this is true.

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
I recently had an alignment done at the dealership for $129 and I have DAS.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This probably wont be the most popular reply but the more "new technology" the more the cost to repair. Ive heard really good things about DAS but I personally am happy I went with traditional mechanical steering

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
4 wheel alignment. Not sure if they did anything with the DAS.....
$89...

But why would turning the wheel all the way to the left, right, left right, and gunning it for 20mph would be an extra $300.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Charges must be based on how far the dealer wants to stick it in...

An alignment (without parts) should be a single charge at all dealerships.

This raises a good point however, it can ONLY be done at a dealership? What are all the other alignment shops going to do? That just sucks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Alignment of the car wheels is all mechanical taken care of under the vehicle with no electronic wizardry and unrelated to DAS. DAS alignment is the position of the steering wheel relative to the direction of the wheels.

I believe that ANY alignment shop can align the wheels of the car. The only difference is the DAS procedure which can be done by the owner. A simple left right left right 90 degrees of the steering wheel then drive in a straight line with the steering wheel dead center at low speed.

Pretty simple and uneventful.

If however after this there's a steering issue, only then would I visit my dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can tell I’m a new Q50 owner, so I might as well ask my first dumb question......
I have a 2019 Luxe, how do I know if I have DAS?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,391 Posts
You can tell I’m a new Q50 owner, so I might as well ask my first dumb question......
I have a 2019 Luxe, how do I know if I have DAS?
DAS is part of the ProACTIVE option package which is not available on a 2019 Luxe. So you don't have DAS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts