Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With all the issues that many of us DAS owners are having, the negative press and how each of us feel about it now that we are driving the car with the system. What would you do if...Infiniti offered to replace the DAS with a normal steering setup at no charge to you.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hmm...

I guess some things are better left unpolled. Spoke too soon... I would keep the DAS.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the DAS. I thought it was a problem for only a small amount of users. I've been more than satisfied with mine.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I would keep the DAS. The auto mags that hated on the system didn't use it properly and had the ALC on while driving on back country roads. I will say that the ALC definitely needs some work, but when it's off the DAS is razor accurate and after getting used to it I found the mechanical steering in a 2011 328i coupe to be heavy and sluggish.

Reactions: Sudzz

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I would keep DAS.
I'm used to it now and like it.
For daily commutes over bad roads it's actually kind of nice to not get the pot holes vibrating into the steering wheel and the ruts in the road jerking your steering wheel.

Also I hate to say it, but for Hybrids they would need a new mechanism to get rid of DAS.
My Engine isn't running at least 30% of the time.
The gas engine drives the power steering pump on the serpentine belt.
They would need an electric motor or something to run a power steering pump.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
After driven over 4 months and 7300 miles with DAS, I got so used it.
Now, it felt weird when I drove when a car with conventional steering (G37 loaner and my wife Lexus ES350). It just doesn't felt as quick and accurate compare to DAS (when set to Standard+Quick).
I'll kept DAS unless it give me problem like a few user reported here. So far, so good and no issue.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I would keep my DAS!
And I am glad that I have DAS!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've not had any issues with DAS, living in Florida may have an advantage there. After 500 miles of driving, I am used to it without any issues. I enjoy changing the settings to fit my mode of either relaxed highway driving to more spirited endeavors.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I would keep DAS.
I'm used to it now and like it.
For daily commutes over bad roads it's actually kind of nice to not get the pot holes vibrating into the steering wheel and the ruts in the road jerking your steering wheel.

Also I hate to say it, but for Hybrids they would need a new mechanism to get rid of DAS.
My Engine isn't running at least 30% of the time.
The gas engine drives the power steering pump on the serpentine belt.
They would need an electric motor or something to run a power steering pump.
Good point.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have to say the only reason I got it was because I had to to get any of the convenience features I wanted. Obviously since I'm included in the group of people who are having serious problems with it, I would like this car a whole lot more if I could get everything and NOT the DAS system. The ride feels nice and I like that you can make adjustments to the wheel, but it's already failed me after 580 miles and I don't feel safe with it.

Seems like replacing the steering system w/ a normal one would be a ridiculous overhaul and probably create more problems though... so I'll probably have to stick with the "praying DAS doesn't go out again" method.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
It sounds to me like DAS is well-liked by those who have more attention span than a gerbil.

Actual owner impressions >>>>>> automotive magazine reviewers (especially american ones)
The American magazines hate anything that's new. They are still complaining about the electronic power steering of the newer 3 series. The car has been out for 2 years now. No car will have hydraulic forever. It's not as efficient. They need to get over it!

Reactions: JayG35

·
Registered
982 Posts
With all the issues that many of us DAS owners are having, the negative press and how each of us feel about it now that we are driving the car with the system. What would you do if...Infiniti offered to replace the DAS with a normal steering setup at no charge to you.
I would take up that offer in a heartbeat. As long as I get to keep everything else in the touring package.

This should be an option when the massive recall is issued.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
There American magazines hate anything that's new. They are still complaining about the electronic power steering of the newer 3 series. The car has been out for 2 years now. No car will have hydraulic forever. It's not as efficient. They need to get over it!
I've been told that they hated power steering, power brakes, fuel injection, traction control and ABS too. Some of those debuted when I was a little kid if not before my birth. I find it hilarious, given the content of modern cars, that those features were hated on decades ago. They are indispensable in the present-day automobile industry. :D

The Jalopnik crew still hates AWD, based on the few "reviews" I've read. I wish I could get my lost brain cells back.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Pretty massive considering it's an Infiniti and they don't sell to many cars.
Especially compared to the 20 cars they are claiming are "affected". LOL
Not really VBX.
Its a new technology.
If they fix all the bugs in the first 6-12 months that is great.

If they do a recall in 3-4 years, that is bad.

Generally it's good to catch everything in the early cycle right. ;)

So far for the people that have the fix it's been working. Good news.
I don't think anyone is going to say it's 100% problem free yet though.
It needs more road time.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
No issues with the das, love it so far. would take it again, even though nit getting das was never an option for me with the sport rwd.. they only come loaded in canada

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.