Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G35.
I test drove a hybrid today at lunch.

Initially I had a hard time keeping the car straight in my lane for about the first minute.
If I moved the steering wheel at all the car seemed to veer in that direction.
In essence it seemed super touchy.

Is the overall steering ratio adjustable?

Or does just changing the steering mode help with this.

Unfortunately my sales person didn't know a lot about DAS.
And I couldn't hang out at the dealer all day to do more test driving or speak with a tech as I had to get back to work.

Any feedback from the DAS owners out there on this??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ratio is adjustable from quick / standard / light
Steering weight is adjustable from heavy / standard / light
All from a app within the intouch system

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: equetefue

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Basically u have 5 drive modes that changes your steering ratio! Not sure what the default settings are on the each one but next time try to flick the drive mode switch and go thru the different modes while parked and u should get a feel of the different resistances! Try it out also while driving to get a feel of what u like! On the 5th one though, Personal Mode, u can change it to your liking! This is where the app within the intouch system, as vancity mentioned, comes into play! U can set whatever drive mode u want as well as steering input!

Hope that helps! :)

Reactions: equetefue

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Unfortunately my sales person didn't know a lot about DAS.
Ok that really grinds my gears.

It's too bad you didn't have a lot of time on your test drive but the car has been out on the lots for 4 months now and it's Infiniti's hot new item. There's no excuse for anyone working at that place not to be able to explain this to you.

You're telling me that they put you in the hands of a sales consultant that didn't even understand the BASICS of the Drive Modes or DAS? This is scary and unacceptable.

The guy could have at least been able to set the steering ratio to Light/Casual for you if you said something about it being too tight.

The next time you go up there make sure you have someone with you who knows the car that they're selling

·
Registered
982 Posts
DAS suffers from over-steering. First test drove, I almost hit a curb.

Last night, I was making a left turn at 15 mph and just as I was about to finish the turn and go straight, the car over-steered and I had to quickly jerk to wheel to correct it.

I guess this is why those magazines hate DAS when they test drove it on the figure 8 track.

Like I said before, it just doesn't feel nature and takes some getting use to.

Steer by wire was first used on a fork lift. No wonder it drives like one. lol

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts

Last night, I was making a left turn at 15 mph and just as I was about to finish the turn and go straight, the car over-steered and I had to quickly jerk to wheel to correct it.

I guess this is why those magazines hate DAS when they test drove it on the figure 8 track.
I bet you were goofing off and hit the curb by turning in too fast in general. :p

But seriously, Infiniti's have always had a bias towards over-steering so that's a completely independent component of DAS and you probably should've known that.

Also, sure, you can keep trying to put the blame on DAS all you want but it's not just that and that's another reason why you are able to adjust the steering ratio to your own personal liking! :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks SimpsonTide985.
I thought it was a little odd.

Before I left, they did offer me a hybrid to take overnight to figure out if I liked it or not (the steering and braking).
I may go back and do that.

I don't know what all goes on at the dealer, but after the test drive, it probably took them a good 45 minutes to look at my car and just throw together the lease offer.
But by then I had to really get back to work for a meeting.

So there was some time constraint on my part to.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I bet you were goofing off and hit the curb by turning in too fast in general. :p

But seriously, Infiniti's have always had a bias towards over-steering so that's a completely independent component of DAS and you probably should've known that.

Also, sure, you can keep trying to put the blame on DAS all you want but it's not just that and that's another reason why you are able to adjust the steering ratio to your own personal liking! :)
Nope, drove a 6mt for 7 years and not once has the car oversteered on me like it has on the Q50.

It only happened twice so far so it's not a big deal. But it doesn't happened.

My steering is set to normal or standard.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts

Like I said before, it just doesn't feel nature and takes some getting use to.

Steer by wire was first used on a fork lift. No wonder it drives like one. lol
I have had ZERO problems with the steering, even when it was in the "light" mode, which I didn't like. I have it set in heavy/quick, and I haven't come close to losing control. Maybe it's just more experience.:rolleyes::D

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
They can hate on the feel all they want, but the car has performed up with the class leaders in instrumented tests. Motortend's test results for Car of the Year had both Q50S RWD models posting better numbers than the IS350 F-sport in the Figure-8.:eek: The IS needed the AWD 250 model to outgrip the Q, but it was still slower (not a big surprise with that engine!).

Q50S 3.7 / Q50S Hybrid
25.8 sec @ 0.71 g (avg) / 25.8 sec @ 0.70 g (avg)

IS 250 AWD / IS 350 F-sport:
26.4 sec @ 0.74 g (avg) / 26.3 sec @ 0.69 g (avg)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I too thought the steering was too light in the test drive. Felt much better heavy. After 2k miles, I like it light.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The first time i slid the car i had the steering on standard/quick, and when i corrected it was too sharp and the rear end swung the other direction, learned my lesson then to leave it on standard/standard to avoid over correction when sliding. Other then that, i love the DAS system

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Andrew, If you are in Northern California, please email/call me and schedule a time to come see a salesperson who can explain DAS and all the other awesome features of this car. What you describe is typical of the first time in the car, especially if you tend to move the steering wheel around a bit while driving.

As has been explained, Personal mode can make it feel more like what you may initially want, but also a good explanation of what's going on will help you drive in a fashion that may be slightly different from what you're used to, but will make this car respond like you want.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies on this.
My 2nd test drive today went a lot better.

We set the steering ratio down to the lowest ratio setting which was much easier for me to control and felt a bit more like a normal car since it wasn't a crazy high ratio. :cool:

Quick impression to compared to my G35 with sport suspension.
I drove a Hybrid Sport this time.
Seats, ride comfort, and noise level are all way better than the G35 with sport suspension.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.